Increasing Aggression In Sweet Cat

pippen

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Several months ago we adopted a neutered, claws in tact, male cat who is about a year old. The shelter didn't know anything about his background beyond that he had been brought in by someone who came across him being beaten. "Abandoned" was written on his paperwork.

With that background I was cautious, but I totally fell in love with him and the (reputable) shelter hadn't seen any problem behaviors. They said he loved people and played well with other cats. He was a very sweet boy who spent much of the first two weeks going between my daughter's lap and mine, with some exploration in between. He must have just been soaking in all the love, because after that he hopped down and started becoming the active, strong cat you'd expect in a young one.

We'd made the mistake of letting our last kitten think of us as playthings, so we've been careful to direct him to toys--not our hands, feet, etc. He would occasionally ambush us with a light tap on the rear in those early weeks, but that was it. Gradually he moved beyond that and started going after our arms or legs---biting/scratching. Typically we'd give him a firm "No" and if that didn't work, we'd put him the pet taxi which did calm him. Distraction with toys also helped.

This hard play behavior has really increased over the past month, but has shifted to include more aggressive behavior. A few weeks ago I working on a project that required me to be standing up and he was really persistent in targeting my legs and it was crossing into ears back aggression. Then this past week he's especially targeted my older teen daughter. The past two days every time she's walked into the kitchen he's skipped any play and started facing her down with ears back, tail swishing, and (new) a few loud, deep meows. We've continued with no/pet taxi, although honestly I thumped him yesterday when he was coming at my daughter. I know that's not ideal in this situation, but he was close to striking and I was really worried he was going to tear into her legs. Then just this morning after a normal hour he started approaching my legs with the ears back. I put him in the pet taxi and now he's perfectly chilled out--even stayed there when the door opened.

Other details I can think of that might help. He's like having a toddler around the house--into everything. We give him plenty of attention, including active play every day. He became increasingly food obsessed when we started switching from shelter fed Science Diet to Evo. He seems satisfied when he's fed, but he's wild about it. (1/2 can plus a small spoon of dry so calories are equal). He's constantly hopping on counters to cruise around and we're constantly picking him up and putting him back down, but he doesn't give up. If I don't cover the sinks with a wire rack, he'll be fishing around in the garbage disposal.

I'm going to call and schedule with my vet, but I wanted to tap into the wisdom that I know is here. We adore him, so it's upsetting, and concerning. Our last cat had a feisty temperament, but it was more along the lines of aggressive play when he was young and crankiness when he was older. This is different.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Last edited:

moorspede

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can't help with the food, I'm afraid. As for aggression, your cat is a teenager, but if he's just acting out he' being a bit more extreme than your average male teenager. I'm glad you are taking him to the vet, he may have a medical condition. If you find that it's behavioural he'll need discipline and a lot of exercise to wear him out.

You need to follow up the "No" by walking away and ignoring him for a few minutes. You need to be consistent or it won't work.

Your daughter may have shown fear? If she is cringing away from him he'll see it as a game the same way and in his eyes she will be the the toy attached to the cat toy is. Also, she shouldn't look directly into his eyes, some cats read it as aggression.

Buy a Kong Kickaroo or a stuffed toy , cats love to bite and bunny kick them, and carry it around with you, redirect him with it if he is about to bite or scratch. Hitting him will only make him fearful and aggressive, I understand that it was done in desparation.

I cannot sing the praises of the "da bird" toy. cats will leap in the air after it. Laser toys ate also very good. Cats are built for speed not stamina. Jackson Galaxy suggests a play session of about ten minutes then a rest to get his breath back and then another session then his meal or a treat and he should be ready for a sleep.

moorspede

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oops I forgot to mention calming products like feliway and perhaps a pair of relaxed denim jeans may help, he'll get a bite of denim rather than you. One member said she wore ugg boots for awhile.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How many times a day are you feeding him? How much at each meal?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

pippen

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks so much for your thoughts. I have an appointment for him early next week.

He eats twice a day--around 6AM and 6PM. 1/2 can of Evo plus about a small spoon of dry Evo. Also he usually gets a 1-2 cat treats when the first person gets home after school.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is the EVO in the big 5oz cans? Do you think he needs an extra snack, like maybe a Tablespoon of dry food somewhere in between the two meals or at bedtime? My male cat gets feisty if he waits too long between meals.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree too, more food is needed, it may make him more content. Almost all cats will not overeat, (unlike dogs) and at a year old he is still a kitten and very active so needs all the food he can eat. I also agree with getting a Kickeroo, they are a lifesaver around here, just throw it towards him when he has his ears laid back, he'll kick it to get his excess energy out. Say NO very loudly and authoritatively, and back up slowly and leave the room. If he advances, do not stare at him directly, take a cue from Tom cats and turn your head to the side and move in slow motion out of his range, no sudden movements. A 5 minute time out away from the action may be called for too, no longer or he forgets why he is in there.
He is much more comfortable now, and is venting all those feelings he had to suppress while he was in the shelter and at his home before. Continue to lavish love and discipline on him and he will settle down to be the loving cat he truly is, a few months is not long in a cat's life to judge his true personality. He just needs someone to show him how to act with a family that loves him, something he has never known. All the luck!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

pippen

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks to you all for your helpful thoughts and suggestions. I took Calvin to the vet yesterday. He was a little nervous in the car but I told him over and over not to worry, because he was always going to come home with us after a trip out.

I had a hunch he was gaining weight, and it turns out he has gained nearly a pound since he's been here. We really need to keep his weight stable as he had a previous leg injury and walks with a pronounced limp. He's very active so pain isn't the issue, but the concern is that he likely will have arthritis down the road so weight management is important. I'm going to first try spreading his food out to more feedings per day. Also, we've got to batten down the hatches because he does snitch food if we turn our backs on it or drop it. Even if I set groceries down and go in for another bag, he's likely to have broken into the tortillas by then. Turn away from the butter to grab the toast out of the toaster and he's on it. I'm wondering now if the pursuit of additional food is more from curiosity and/or the drive to hunt than hunger.

The vet thinks the aggression we're seeing is play aggression--that he is a clever hunter and in need of a lot of activity. She also suggested distractions, which we had been doing but not really seen a lot of progress with until yesterday. Yesterday he nipped my daughter in the leg and then started walking into the living room towards the lizard wand toy she'd got him a few days ago. He kept turning back and watching her, and then sat down expectantly by the toy. He's repeated that over a number of times yesterday and again this morning--finding someone and either nipping, rubbing our legs, or meowing to try and get someone to follow and play with him. We've trying especially to reinforce the rubbing and meowing.

We're not quite where we want to be yet, but I feel like we've made a huge breakthrough in figuring out what he was trying to communicate. Now to figure out how to get anything done around here with this wild little boy! He usually would be snoozing right all morning, but he keeps intercepting playmates as we walk by or else coming to find one of us. My kids are home for the summer but all will be off to college in fall.

Thanks again for your words, which gave me so much to think about, and your brainstorming to help us out. He really does need to learn to act with a family who loves him.