Increased Appetite?

Notacrazycatlady

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
This past week or so, Angus and Leo have been eating voraciously (or at least everything I put out for them). The ferals have been cleaning the dishes as well, but that could be someone in the complex who used to feed moving out so fewer other resources.

I understand that the ferals pack in as much calories as possible to bulk up for the colder months but is it some sort of instinct in cats to increase their feeding this time of year? Angus and Leo are playing, pooping normally (at long last :yess:) and Angus is a bit pudgy so weight loss not happening although I'd like to see him drop a pound or so (healthily); they just seem to have more of an appetite.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Notacrazycatlady

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi!
Now that you mention it, my boy does seem to be eating more....

Can you get Angus more active? In case you haven't seen this one;
7 Proven Ways To Get Your Cat To Be More Active
Cool link, I've been wondering how to keep his activity up now that walking outside isn't much of an option here in Ohio--just a little chilly. I did get a new cat tower that he really enjoys climbing (the top perch is actually a good 6 feet up) and Leo and Angus play chase so he's got a playmate to keep him active.

Most of that weight came on when I had my niece's cat here plus Leo, so there was food out for 3 cats and Angus would snitch food out of every bowl I put down. He's not the least bit food aggressive, he's just a greedy gus. He'll actually wait for them to raise their head and sneak in for a nibble--a very polite moocher.

I have to play meal monitor and stand over them while they're eating their wet food meals. Angus knows the phrase 'eyes on your own bowl' and will lower his head back to his own dish when I say it.

Now that Leo isn't such a young kitten and Riddle is back with my niece, I can more easily regulate how much food is available at any given time so he doesn't have access to as much food. Aside from the wet food meals, I only put a quarter cup of dry food in two bowls for them and put another quarter cup in up to 3 times a day so he can't just eat a full day's worth of dry food all at one time.

He's not dangerously overweight yet--I'd put his body condition based on the chart at more than a 6 but not quite a full 7. I just don't want him to keep those extra pounds on. He's got a long life ahead of him and I'd prefer to keep him at or near a healthy weight.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cats, all indoors, always eat more this time of the year. I do think there is some validity to thinking its due to the cold weather coming. may be triggered by cooler temperatures, shorter days, im not sure, but i think it is so.:fallsmiley: