Incontinent Cat Shampoo

ultranerdcat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Any suggestions on the best shampoo for an incontinent cat?

I've been using Oxymed by Tropiclean that my cats' vet sells. But it seems to be drying my cat Tiger's skin out horribly.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Maybe call a Groomer and ask them if they can recommend a product that can be used frequently that isn't drying. Are you bathing him all over, or just doing his backside? Is he shaved back there for easier access..then perhaps you could simply use CatWipes.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Let me go find a lady on here who has experience with having to frequently wash cat fannies due to this. She may have some ideas for you!

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
Personally, I have not had to completely wash down Artie. While he does get poopy butts a lot..and I do wipe him down after each bowel movement, I have not really needed to do a full bath.

I do use Pampers Sensitive Skin Baby Wipes or even the ones specifically for cats. These are much more expensive. I did pick up something at Petco, by GNC named Hairball & Shed Control Waterless Shampoo. It smells really good. I have used it a couple of times.
I usually stick to the baby wipes and just water..

The ingredients are: water, olefin sulfonate, cocamidopropyl betaine, carthamus seed oil, coco-glucoside, glyceryl oleate, safflower oil, aloe leaf juice, chamomile flower extract, oat protein, shea butter, other stuff and castor oil.

Once, after an enema, I used some Diluted Dawn Blue Dish Soap... I made sure I rinsed Artie really well after it... which was a very difficult task... squirming, 1/2 wet cat, wet me, and then trying to towel him off... it was a madhouse...

I think a groomer may help you out, if not, I would stick with the baby wipes, a wet paper towel and some saturated paper towels with some Dawn for the really bad spots...

good luck and keep us updated.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ultranerdcat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I don't fully bath him just his back end and back legs. Occasionally I have to wash his side if he sleeps on his side. He is only incontinent with urinating. He does get a sanitary shave every couple of weeks but when I use the shampoo daily it dries him out terribly.

I bathe him in the mornings and evenings and use Earthbath wipes in between. He does excellent with his baths and will even be waiting at the bathroom door in the evenings for me to let him into the bathtub to get his butt sprayed down and wash. But he has always liked water and liked playing in the water.

I will ask my local groomer but I don't think she even works with cats. I'm not sure. He gets his shaves from the vet. If not there are a couple in cities around me I can possibly ask.

I was using Chlorhexidine 4% but the place I would buy it from stopped carrying it. This did well to keep him clean and didn't dry his skin. I may just have to look for it online and buy that.