Incessant meowing...

allysh0rty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So I have a question. I used to have 2 cats, Spock and Saki. They've been together since kittenhood. A few weeks ago, we had to give Spock up. He had some issues that we couldn't deal with. He really needed to be an outdoor/indoor cat, so we gave him to a friend that had a better place for him to play. So Saki is by himself now. We're waiting to get one of my brother's kittens when they get old enough, so Saki will have another friend to play with, but in the mean time, he's been acting strange...
He'll just randomly start meowing in the other room for no reason. We can't figure it out. He'll just WAIL. As loud as he can. And I'll go in there and give him some love and attention, play with him, whatever. But he just starts doing it again. And it doesn't last long, just a few seconds, but it's still upsetting. I'm worried about him. Do you think he's lonely? Why does he just randomly meow like that?

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Technically you took his brother away. Cats can really form some deep bonds, especially with siblings (not necessarily blood siblings, but kittenhood siblings). They'll miss each other. I have some, that if they can't find one of the other cats will start wandering the house crying. Blasa does it if her brother or sister can't be found. Tomas gets upset if one of the group is away.

There's not really anything you can do other than give Saki lots of attention and try to distract him. Another cat, since it really seems that he doesn't like being an only cat, will help.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

allysh0rty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes, we plan to adopt a new cat in a couple weeks. I just hope he's not lonely. I feel terrible for having to do that to him. I didn't like doing it. I just hope he's okay for the next few weeks until we get the new kitty.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just give him lots of love and attention. That's all you can really do.
I hope all goes well with the new kitty.

merrytreecats

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I've seen this before when I had two kittens and one was removed. The other would cry. Repeated crying like this means distress. He's lonely, but doesn't have any way to consciously cope with it and may not even consciously understand what the problem even is. He just knows that something is missing, and a normal source of comfort for him is no longer there. He's gotten used to this other cat in his regular routine, and I even had one time when I had two cats living together for years, and then when one died, the other became deeply depressed. He stopped eating and was doing poorly, but this was solved when we introduced another cat to keep him company. So, I'm glad to hear the problem will soon be solved! Just give him extra time with him till the other cat arrives.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just don't expect Saki to welcome a new kitten with open arms. Maybe he will, but it's not likely. It will take time for him to adjust to a new kitten or cat, cats are not like dogs, getting along with almost anyone.

Please research introducing a new cat into the household very carefully well before bring another cat home.

I hate hearing about cats being separated, it's so hard on them. I hope Spock is managing okay in a new home. Tolly grieved for weeks and week after he lost his Bibbs
. I handled it better with Ootay
and made sure he said good bye, but with Bibbs it all happened so fast.

Get some feliway plug in diffusers, and perhaps some rescue remedy, to help Saki cope and adjust, especially when you bring the newbie home.

holliwilliams

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I agree fully with the other posters

You took his brother away and of course cats have feelings and they grieve

You did what was best for you and thee other cat

but introducing another kitten as of yet......is a maybe or a no no..

Try it see how it works out....he might not get along with him or her for awhile but they seem to adapt once they are around enough.....your cat now will act of course the pack leader and will bascially tell the kitten whom is boss...

Best of luck!