Inappropriate urination

gobber

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So here's the story, back in May my cat starting peeing in the bathtub after I came back from vacation. I figured the cat was mad at me and didn't think much of it. Then she started peeing in the entry way so I took her to the vet in June to discover she had crystals. By the end of July she was free and clear of crystals and was given a clean bill of health but still peeing in the bathtub or the entry way.

I just picked up my cat from my parents who were watching her. While at my parents the cat used the same litter and peed in her box all the time, no problems. While my cat was at my parents I soaked the entry way and bathtub with Nature Miracle and let it air dry. Now back at home the cat is peeing in the entry away again. I got the box she used at my parents place and she won't step foot in it.

So basically what I want to know is there anything else I can do that I haven't thought of or do I need to give my cat away?

Thanks!

lechatnoir

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Have you tried thefeliway diffusers or spray?they are expensive but pretty effective. I would also try rubbing some citrus smelling something near the areas that are being peed on. I heard that pepper works,too.

barbb

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats stop using the litter box because of something bad they associate with it. In your case it was the crystals and the pain.

The problem is that once they go somewhere else, they can forget why they stopped using the box in the first place and they will continue to go in the old place out of habit.

You need to make the entry way unattractive for her to go back to. My suggestion is to put loose sheets of aluminum foil over where she used to go. Cats hate the feel and sound of the loose foil. Another thing you could do is put sticky tape there under the foil. Cats hate the feel of it on their paws. Or you could use a hiss matt in that area where it lets out an air hissing noise that will keep her away from that place. That product is sold in most online pet stores.

Depending on the size of the area where your cat peed, you could also completely block it physically with a piece of furniture temporarily.

The idea is to keep your cat away from the area long enough for her to forget about the habit she developed in the first place.

Also, because it sounds like a main part of your house, you might want to go over the area again with enzymatic cleaner and then finish up with bleach or another strong solution.

I would not expose the bare floor again (or wall -to-wall carpet if that is what she peed on) for a long time.

I suggest that you reintroduce your cat to the litter box by placing it somewhere else other than where it was when she first had the problem. Then, once she goes back into it, slowly move it little by little back into its original location.

These methods may take a little bit of time but they work. Let us know how it turns out and good luck

venusgirltrap

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm pretty sure using strong cleaners like bleach or ammonia is a bad idea because cats may be attracted to it. Maybe use citrus air freshener after the enzyme cleaner. Also, try adding a box with a different litter....feline pine worked for my cat.