Inappropriate peeing after vacation

madcat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We went on vaca for a few weeks and our cat was fine before we left. Now he pees on one of the bedroom floors. He did it while we were gone and just now did it again since we've been back for a week. I don't know what to do and my husband wants to get rid of our cat. My girls will be devastated. How do I knock him of that habit

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
Welcome to TCS!   

Your boy has probably been upset by your absence and that's something they do at times like that. 

Firstly you need to remove all trace of the urine.. cats have very sensitive noses and will continue to use that spot.  There are home made treatments or you can buy something from the pet store.  The home made treatment that I use for carpets is below.  If it isn't carpet, just the vinegar and water solution should do the trick. 
  • Wet the area with a solution of 50% white vinegar and 50% water. Make sure you use enough of the solution to  penetrate the fibers deep down.
  • After the vinegar treatment dry off the carpet as much as possible. You can assist drying by blotting with paper towels as described above. If you own a wet/dry vacuum extractor use that to remove excess moisture.
  • Apply a handful of baking soda over the affected area. Mix a quarter of a cup of 3% hydrogen peroxide with a teaspoon of liquid dishwashing detergent and drizzle this solution over the baking soda. Alternatively you can use a spray bottle for the hydrogen peroxide solution.(Do not use caustic detergent that you put in a dishwasher and never use more than 3% hydrogen peroxide)
  • Work it well into the carpet with a scrubbing brush, tooth brush or your fingers. Allow to dry.
  • Once completely dry vacuum up the dried baking soda. Use a hard bristled brush to loosen up the baking soda if necessary.
There are then things you can use to discourage him from doing it again.  A really popular one is Feliway pheromone products.

I'm sure you'll be able to manage this.. your boy is just a little upset, so he needs all your care so he feels secure and wees in all the right places.

Good luck!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

madcat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I will give it a shot, thanks

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Welcome to TCS! :wavey:

If the problem persists, a vet visit to rule out any health issues may be in order. Sometimes stress can trigger a UTI (urinary tract infection). The stress of your family going on vacation may have caused a UTI. Many cats w/ UTIs will pee outside the box.

Make sure to thoroughly clean the area(s) he has peed on w/ an enzymatic cleaner. You can use a blacklight in the dark to ensure the stains are gone. Another thing you can try is putting a litterbox where he is peeing, which I know can be very inconvenient, but it can work!