Inappropriate Elimination

kosame

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My 6mo, Remi, has started peeing in less than desirable places. It's been going on about 2 1/2 wks now, and my first thought was spraying. I figured, ok, he 6 months old, almost 7, it's probably about that time. I figured it was no biggie since he's scheduled for a neuter/checkup this Thursday.
But then I began to notice some not-so-delightful patterns.
He only pees on my bed, under my bed where I keep the bedding, and on my office chair's blanket. (I keep a blanket on the chair because Theo likes to sleep there when I'm at work)
He also pees horizontally, not vertically.
I've read everything from health problems to solely behavioral. I'll be asking at his checkup too. His poops (still in the litterbox! yay! counting my blessings) are normal. He's happy, talkative and silly as usual. Ever active and actually climbing all over me with big purrs as I type.
Can't stay mad at him even when I wake up with pee-soaked sheets :)
I'm at work 9:30-6 5 days a week and I know that's more upsetting to him than it has been in the past.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I still think you may need to consider this might be spraying because he is maturing, and his age could be considered fairly normal to begin this behavior since he is not neutered. And, this seems even more likely since he doesn't appear 'out of sorts' in any other fashion. However, you can't rule out a UTI either. Sometimes, until the infection gets worse, the only symptom you will see is inappropriate peeing. Since he is going in for a check up/neuter, you might also ask about a urinalysis and urine culture.

Also, make sure you are getting the urine out of the things he is peeing on. If he can smell it, it only encourages him to go in those places again.
How To Get Cat Pee Smell Out Of Clothes And Linens – Cat Articles

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
He's at that age. Neutering may take care of it completely. As for the places he sprays...well...those are the places that smell most like YOU! You are HIS person, and he wants the world to know it!

DO check for a UTI when you take him in, though, just in case. I really think this is "Hey, I'm a TOM CAT" behavior, but why take a chance?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kosame

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
New problem everyone! Little buddy Remi went in for surgery today and did splendidly: too splendidly.
There is chaos in my tiny home.
He's awake and he's active! SO active! He wants to jump and climb and run and do kitten things.
The vet told me he absolutely must not be active at all for 10-14 days. They told me to keep him in a kennel with food and water and make him rest. I can't do that- he was terrified. He climbed up the kennel, screamed, knocked everything over and nearly hurt himself, poor thing. Right now he's running about my room like a normal kitten. I don't know what else to do.
Theo is terrified of him- not because of the vet smell, but because of the e-collar. Theo hisses, spits, swipes and runs away whenever he sees the collar. He's so scared. I briefly took it off Remi and Theo was once again welcoming and accepting. But I have to keep the collar on.
I can't really separate them due to my living space and I don't know how to make Remi rest. Please help :')

kosame

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Gracious sakes. I don't have any good ideas, I'm just hoping he calms down!
me too! He's happy as a clam when he's not confined but now I'm worried about him being TOO active!
Well, this is how he normally acts, but it's not okay after surgery. The vets didn't seem to even have a grid for incredibly high-energy cats. Normally he goes on regular hikes too, so being cooped up all day it's no wonder he's going crazy with energy.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
And do bear in mind that when feral toms are neutered, they are returned to their colonies within 24 hours, no cones, no restraints of any kind, and almost every one of them does fine. Your vet is doing due diligence, and giving you "best advice," but he will almost certainly be fine. Sometimes trying to keep a cat retrained can do more damage than letting them be themselves.

kosame

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
And do bear in mind that when feral toms are neutered, they are returned to their colonies within 24 hours, no cones, no restraints of any kind, and almost every one of them does fine. Your vet is doing due diligence, and giving you "best advice," but he will almost certainly be fine. Sometimes trying to keep a cat retrained can do more damage than letting them be themselves.
Thank you, this makes me feel much better!