In Your Experience, Is The Saying "naughty Tortie" True?

Issy86

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm looking at getting a kitten soon, she is a Tortie. So many people have told me to beware! Should I be worried?! Haha.
Or do you think that it is a load of rubbish that coat colour influences a cats personality? X

mandmcats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Our first cat was a calico. Similar rep. She’s been awesome! I wouldn’t worry about it because they are all so different. She’s definitely very chatty. Talks to us all the time and extremely playful/high energy but she’s wonderful in that we can do anything. We can pick her up whenever, we can trim her nails, we can pet her belly, etc. go for it!

KarenKat

Kitty on the half shell, tortie power!
Top Cat
Purraise
We adopted a tortie who was an abandoned stray outside. She definitely knows what she wants and leads you to it! She also is so sweet and sleeps on my face. She harries our other cat, Gohan, but she is always playful and not aggressive. I wish I had know her as a kitten, I think she would have been quite the spunky girl!

I think my tortie has “tortitude” but it’s not really something to be concerned with - all cats cop an attitude and I think we just label this version. Plus they are so pretty!

Etarre

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My girl Juniper is a dilute tortie, so I'm not sure if she qualifies as a cat who's supposed to have 'tortitide.' We haven't found that to be true at all. She's skittish and a little anxious, but just the sweetest cat ever, and very well behaved.

If this little tortie was one that captured your heart when you were looking at kitties, I think you should go for it. Every cat is unique, and there's a reason that she stood out for you.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Issy86

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ahh thanks for replies everyone, they were a great read!
I wouldn't have been put off even if it were true to be honest as I really have fallen for her. Was just wondering if I needed to prepare myself haha xx

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Issy86

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My girl Juniper is a dilute tortie, so I'm not sure if she qualifies as a cat who's supposed to have 'tortitide.' We haven't found that to be true at all. She's skittish and a little anxious, but just the sweetest cat ever, and very well behaved.

If this little tortie was one that captured your heart when you were looking at kitties, I think you should go for it. Every cat is unique, and there's a reason that she stood out for you.
What does dilute Tortie mean Etarre?
My kitty is pretty much all black on her body with just a little bit of tortie markings on her face xx

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953 how would the queen answer that one?
Define "naughty." If by naughty you mean that she rules my house with an iron paw, that I'm only allowed a 26" strip on one side of a queen-sized bed (the rest is hers!), that I am regularly shunned and cursed at when I refuse to give her yet ANOTHER treat, and that it take 4-5 people at the vet's office to clip her claws, then yes...she is naughty! Oh...and that habit of trotting thought the house singing, "With a knick-knack paddy-whack, give the cat a treat, or she'll throw Mama IN THE STREET!"

The queen herself would say, "I'm not naughty, I'm IMPERIAL!"

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Define "naughty." If by naughty you mean that she rules my house with an iron paw, that I'm only allowed a 26" strip on one side of a queen-sized bed (the rest is hers!), that I am regularly shunned and cursed at when I refuse to give her yet ANOTHER treat, and that it take 4-5 people at the vet's office to clip her claws, then yes...she is naughty! Oh...and that habit of trotting thought the house singing, "With a knick-knack paddy-whack, give the cat a treat, or she'll throw Mama IN THE STREET!"

The queen herself would say, "I'm not naughty, I'm IMPERIAL!"
I really think she and Lilith are related.

Lily loves her water and it had better NEVER get low or I will get yelled at until it is topped off. I will get yelled at until it is to her satisfaction.

She loves turkey and when I cook a piece for myself she will holler until she gets some. I'm always getting hollered at for something.

She is tiny. She weighs exactly 5 pounds. I took them to the groomer once and she got us 86'ed from the place due to her very bad behavior. It took 3 grown men to just give her a sanitary shave. She would not let them clip her claws. Sophie was bad also but nearly as bad as her sister. It was almost comical to have a big, burly man ask me to never bring my 5 pound cat back again. She traumatized him. I left a very generous tip out of guilt.

Can you imagine the chaos those two would cause if they ever got together? :running:

rosegold

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I’ve had three torties/calicos so far - and if I’m honest, I suspect I will continue exclusively getting torties/calicos for the rest of my life. They’re just too wonderful!

I thought the stereotype was a total myth when I just had Chilli and Chai, two sweet, well-behaved, calm angels who never put a foot wrong...

... after getting Clove I think there might be some truth to it after all. ;)

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
View attachment 289943
My 15 year old tortie is the sweetest cat ever! But she also has tortitude! If my Krista is any representation, your home will never be boring. But it’s also worth every minute of it.
View attachment 289944
I agree with you 100%. I also have to say that Krista is absolutely stunning. I adore torties. They are so beautiful. I dropped off a bunch of donations at a local shelter a couple of years ago and mentioned to the woman helping me how much I love torties. She whipped out her phone and said "then you will LOVE this". She produced a photo of FIVE torties hanging out together on her couch. She told me that they were the best of friends. Actions speak louder than words. :heartshape:

Torties may have tortitude but they are so much fun and so loving. Get one. You will never regret it.

Talien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'd have to say it's a myth, I have a Tortie, a Torbie, 2 Calicos, and previously had another Tortie. All are/were lap cats or at least very friendly, the only one with any kind of attitude is one Calico and that's only because she's easily overstimulated.

Etarre

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Issy86 Issy86 , a dilute tortie has slightly lighter fur color than a "full" tortie. Instead of black and brown/rust fur, Juniper is gray with tan accents. That's her in my profile pic, although it's sometimes hard to see her tan spots unless she's in good natural light. You can kinda see her little tan "collar" in that pic.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think coat color can influence personality to a degree, but it's not always set in stone. Our tortie is the sassiest thing on four legs but is also the sweetest and most affectionate cat I can remember when she's sick of being sassy, so we got the best of both worlds.
I grew up with a tortie who didn't have a sassy bone in her body. I have a buddy with a tortie that is sassy to the point of being domineering and a cat the cat-experienced vet is a little afraid of :lol:
Torties are a favorite of mine. Just handle your new kitten all the time, hold them in your arms, pick them up often, cuddle them in your arms when they're on their back, look in their ears, mouth, handle their feet, pet them, cuddle the stuffin's out of them and you might find yourself getting the best of both worlds, too :yess:

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Our last girl was a torbie, (half tortie, half tabby), but her personality was all tortie. ;) She was a diva in every sense of the word but without a doubt the smartest cat we have ever had and we've had many cats over the years. She was also extremely attached to me, knew my every move and absolutely loved our dog. As others have said, if you have your :hearthrob: set on a tortie, go for it! :thumbsup:

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Our last girl was a torbie, (half tortie, half tabby), but her personality was all tortie. ;) She was a diva in every sense of the word but without a doubt the smartest cat we have ever had and we've had many cats over the years. She was also extremely attached to me, knew my every move and absolutely loved our dog. As others have said, if you have your :hearthrob: set on a tortie, go for it! :thumbsup:
Sometimes the trouble makers are the most clever :thumbsup: Baby Girl (our Tortie) is always being put on a diet because she's trained me so well to give her little bites of snacks. She also trained me to give her a treat if she sits up and looks cute :crazy: She's also trained me that "No" really means "try 476 more times and he'll give in."

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Can you imagine the chaos those two would cause if they ever got together? :running:
As one of my vet's assistants so famously said when told Hekitty was there for an appointment... OH GOD!

She's also trained me that "No" really means "try 476 more times and he'll give in."
I am SO in touch! This is why Hekitty now weighs 11 pounds, and is on a diet...sorta.