In search of advice from breeders

GemsGem

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Yes I'm a Maine coon breeder and I do this. But I live in England so dont know how much help I can be to you living in America. But I will tell you what we do over here so you get the general idea.
We have two insurance companies ( that I know of ) that offer 4 weeks free insurance cover to breeder members when their kittens are leaving to new homes. Pet plan and Agria pet insurance through the GCCF. It does not cost the breeder a thing it's completely free.
What you do is sign up to the breeder scheme. Then they send you a big support pack containing all the paperwork and kitten cover vouchers. You then activate the insurance cover for each kitten a day or so before the kittens leave. You do this by phoning the company or online. They give you a policy number for each kitten which you write on each kitten cover voucher, which you give to new owners. So the new owners have 4 weeks free insurance which the new owners have to decide if they want to continue it after the four weeks or not.

I get all my kittens micro chipped at 12 weeks, at the same time they have their last lot of vaccinations. I think this is personal choice. But I'm a big believer that all pets should be micro chipped anyway. But that's just me :lol3:

love the photos ! Gorgeous kittens :rbheart: :D

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cccdlx

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you, GemsGem!

My babies are only two weeks old, so it's a bit early to start anything. I won't even advertise before 4 wks or take a deposit on a kitten until they are at least six weeks old, even though I have a couple of people on the waiting list already. I'm still doing the research on available insurance options.

How do people generally respond to this idea? I'm guessing that Maine Coon cats rare in your part of the world, and are a bit pricey.  It seems to me that people want to feel more secure when they spend that kind of money on a kitten.  They also feel better knowing that the breeder cares more for the cats than the profit margin.

How old are your babies when you send them out?  Four weeks seems to be really short term, to me.  What else have you done with babies before they leave?

Are they chipped with your information, or the new owners?

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Aww, so cute! What breed are they?

I don't think pet insurance is quite the thing it is in Europe (where it seems the majority have it), but I know many shelters offer a free month of insurance so they may have a similar plan for breeders. Worth contacting the insurance companies about anyway. I don't think it would be a deciding factor for me but it would be nice to have that backup. I think we all know of kittens who go and eat something they shouldn't a week after coming home! :lol3:

For microchipping, it seems a lot of Americans don't like the idea of the breeder/rescue being listed as primary contact on the microchip. Some people don't even like having them as secondary contact :/. Although I think a breeder can be picky enough to turn down people like that. If you have it done, and help the new owners fill out the paperwork, then at least they would have identification. Microchip companies say a large percentage of microchips that get implanted never get information registered, so shelters get a lot of pets with microchips but no information. So ensuring the new owners fill out the paperwork will at least eliminate that problem.

GemsGem

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
My kittens can leave from 16 weeks onwards but this is because I have them neuter/spayed before leaving. If I don't neuter/spay then they can leave at 13 weeks after their 2nd vaccination.
I think your right about insurance if you are buying a pedigree cat it makes new owner feel more secure about spending that kind of money.
Four weeks insurance does seem very short, it use to be six weeks but they cut it to four weeks a couple of years ago.
I always have my babies chipped with MY information, then it's up to new owners to change it into their own.

Here's a list of what my babies leave with

Already neutered/spayed
Full 5 generation pedigree
GCCF registration papers
Microchipped
Fully vaccinated with vaccination card
Wormed
Flea treated
4 weeks free pet insurance
Huge kitten pack which includes a weeks supply of cat food they are currently eating. Bag of cat litter they are currently using. Loads of toys and a cat blanket that smells of mom cat. To help kitten settle in new home.
I also give owners an information pack that I make myself this contains information on the following
The Maine coon breed
Advice on settling kitten into new home ( what to expect etc... )
Grooming
Kitten diet sheet
Kitten worming record
Kitten weight record from birth
Information on vaccinations
Information on insurance
Pictures of mom and dad cat and results of their health tests I've had done.
Then there is my contract ! All my kittens are sold with a contract of sale.

Erm.... can't think of any thing else at the moment. Hope this give you some ideas. :D

cccdlx

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hey Wilowy,  I just want to make some kind of health garuantee other than my word, my vet's, or a contract. To me actions speak louder than words sometimes.  I want the prospective owners to  have the assurance that my kittens are healthy. I'm  more than willing to 'Put my money were my mouth is'.

The micro chipping thing... I've heard that the chip manufacturers have product specific readers that are incompatible with others???  I have lots more research to do.

My kitties are Desert Lynx.  Bobtailed (3 of the 4) and polydactyl.  I've been working to get these babies for almost two years now.  I even had the father flown in from Chicago.  I'm very selective and have an application process.  I want to know where MY babies are and what they are doing.

cccdlx

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
GEE WHIZ GemsGem,   according to your check list, I'm on the right track! ThankYou!  My socialization plan includes other cats, dogs, collars and harnesses, car rides, nail trimming, and vacuum cleaners

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
There is one more big plus with ready made insurances.   IF there are any problems, with the kitten turns to be not so healthy as wished, there becomes no conflict with the breeder.

In lack of insurance, there will be a strong tendency to make the breeder responsible, to either get vet costs repair, or get money back and send the kitten back or...

And probably vice versa, the breeder  suspecting the problems were acquired later, after the sale.  Or even - made up.

With insurance, there is no need of quarrels, problems can be solved together in all friendship, and the cost taken in major part by the insurance.

So this really answers and solves a big part of your problem.

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
I am not a breeder but can say that the experience / package I had from the Russian Blue breeder I got Mouse from it was almost identical to that offered by GemsGem - I didn't get any lovely photos of mum and dad but that was probably because my breeder knew I'd already taken hundred of my own!!!  I had also taken a little fleece down for him for the exact same purpose as GemsGem provides one.

Mouse was chipped when he was neutered - mid way between his vacinations, and the chip was done with my details not the breeder's.

A lot of the information like weights from birth were sent to me by email as a regular update once he was born and I had a verbal agreement to adopt him with the breeder concerned.

cccdlx

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you MServant!  I am a novice, so I'm soaking all this up like a sponge.  I have gotten lots of advice from other breeders here in the US, but it doesn't seem that insurance is a priority.  We all know that anything can happen to our energetic and curious babies.  I'm looking into different companies that will cover the kittens before they leave and transfer to their new owners.

I actually spend quite a bit of time searching the old threads on this site.  What an education.

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
This site is a mine of amazing information!  I could loose weeks on here but Mouse would start to protest and chew my arm....

With the insurance cover in UK: when my breeder insured my kitten it was in her name and covered was provided by the breeder for a week after I adopted.  As I continued insurance with the same company Mouse has effectively been insured from birth with them and conditions which arrise will be covered.  I am not sure how the company would have treated the transfer if Mouse had started to present with something while he was still with the breeder and then the policy was moved across - whether they would have covered it or not.  It does mean you can be more confident that the breeder isn't hiding anything from you though.

awaiting abyss

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I didn't know desert lynx are bobcat hybrids. So would my 25% bobcat hybrid be considered a desert lynx cat?

I'd love one of these babies. They are precious :)