In Over My Head with New Cat?

sonnyvincent

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Due to a variety of circumstances, I now have an age unknown female spayed and all 4 declawed cat. I believe she's young, based on what I've seen of her teeth.

I don't know anything about her first home. 3 weeks ago, she went to her second home. There, she became the housemate of a fully clawed cat who is, easily, 2.5 times her size. He apparently decided he didn't like her and spent 3 weeks terrorizing her. Why they weren't separated, I do not know. So she's in her third home in as many weeks, traumatized, and no doubt terrified.

To make matters worse, she is covered in fleas. She has hair missing behind both ears. She looks miserable. Probably too soon, but I had to try to help her a little so I gave her a Dawn bath. Surprisingly, she didn't freak out. When I put the Dawn on her she almost seemed relieved (poor thing). She didn't like being rinsed, but there was no growling or hissing. Some meowing. (Of course after the bath when I was working on drying her off, she went back to growling, hissing, meowing)

She's spent the past two days in a corner of a closet in my room. I do have her food and water with her, but her litter box is outside of the closet half way across the room. I will eventually move her food and water out of the closet, too, but for now I'm going to accommodate her. She's quite skinny. I can't have her missing meals. She's eating dry food (free fed) and at night I'm giving her wet food mixed with dry. She is using the litter box, only when I'm not in the room or when I'm unconscious (sleeping). 

A vet visit is needed to deal with the fleas. I hate that I have to do that to her, but she is MISERABLE. Constantly scratching and unfortunately the Dawn bath seems to have done little good. I can see fleas crawling across her face, and of course she will not allow me to comb her.

For now, these are the things I'm doing to try to help her adjust:

1. I have her food and water dish on one of my worn T-shirts, so that hopefully she will associate my scent with good things.

2. I occasionally play classical music for her; I need to get a CD player because I'm concerned about leaving my phone going.

3. I have the Feliway plug in (I've read it can take 1 week to help), and that is about 8 feet from where she's hiding.

4. I rarely disturb her, only to feed her. When she looks at me, I blink very slowly at her. 

5. Whenever I'm in the room (and not sleeping) I will gently talk to myself. (Sometimes I hear her growling even at the sound of my voice :/ )

I've named her Evie. 

I feel like I can help this girl, with time and patience. But I want her to feel as comfortable as possible. I admit I am very concerned about integrating her into my multi-cat, all male household. Especially after her most recent experience.  I have 5 boys (all neutered, one other boy who came to me fully declawed so she will not be alone in that respect). I'm just not sure how easily she'll integrate. Or how to introduce them. I have another new young cat (Evie was obviously not a part of the equation but now she is), who I'm waiting to integrate. Should be interesting... that's all I have to say. 

Any suggestions on all of the above would be greatly appreciated. Also, has anyone found that cats who respond this way to being rehomed are more difficult to integrate into multi-cat households? Being, maybe, more sensitive than other cats? 

Thank you

ETA My other cats:

1. Sonny - 15 years old - neutered - Dominant cat of household. Nobody messes with him. In return, he's not a bully. If someone gets too close, he will smack them, but otherwise keeps to himself.

2. Max - 7 years old - neutered / all 4 declawed - Very passive cat. Mostly keeps his distance from the other cats but never fights with them. 

3. Roman - almost 4 years old - neutered - Laid back but also can be playful. Cuddles with Sonny, tries to cuddle with Max. 

4. Rocco - almost 2 years old - neutered - He's a brat, mostly to Roman. When I first got Rocco, he wasn't neutered, and Roman would chase him. Now that Rocco is neutered, it's the other way around. He sometimes will even challenge Sonny. He's the one I worry about.

5. Chester - about 7 months old - neutered - Not sure how he'll be with other cats. The lady I got him from said he got along well with everyone and was not an "alpha" cat. 

Note: Rocco and Roman wear soft paws. Sonny does not. And Chester is too new to bother him with that. They wear soft paws because Rocco literally climbs doorways, and also to put them on semi-level with max. 

Last edited:

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Hi @sonnyvincent

Poor little girl! Thank you so much for taking her in. Can you use some proper flea meds on her? Frontline Topspot can be applied to the back of her neck and will kill all adult fleas within 24 hours. She might need a second application to get rid of the eggs and lava. If she is as badly infested as you say it would be a good idea to treat all the cats in the house, as fleas can hitch a ride on your clothing and spread to the others.

A vet visit is a good idea. At least that way you will know exactly what you are dealing with.

I think you should keep her confined to her room until she is comfortable with you, no matter how long this takes. I've taken in dumped pet cats and sick feral cats and given them a couple of months before introducing them to the rest of the family. It will go much better if she is as close to 100% healthy as you can get her and secure in her surroundings before she meets the others.

Have you tried feeding her really good quality wet food on a spoon so that she associates you with good things? I used cooked chicken to win over some of my very shy cats. Gerber's Stage 2 baby food, plain chicken flavour, is supposed to work wonders.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sonnyvincent

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

Hi @sonnyvincent

Poor little girl! Thank you so much for taking her in. Can you use some proper flea meds on her? Frontline Topspot can be applied to the back of her neck and will kill all adult fleas within 24 hours. She might need a second application to get rid of the eggs and lava. If she is as badly infested as you say it would be a good idea to treat all the cats in the house, as fleas can hitch a ride on your clothing and spread to the others.

Have you tried feeding her really good quality wet food on a spoon so that she associates you with good things? I used cooked chicken to win over some of my very shy cats. Gerber's Stage 2 baby food, plain chicken flavour, is supposed to work wonders.
I treat my cats for fleas most of the year, alternating between Revolution, Frontline, and Advantix. I want to start her off with Capstar and Revolution as I've had most success with Revolution (it's prescription only so definitely must take to vet). I've had mix success with Capstar (if jumping ship and biting me instead of the cat is success) but at least it will give her some relief while the Revolution takes effect.

I did give her chicken tonight but she was so focused on growling she didn't show any interest in the chicken for a good 5 minutes. Once she decided I wasn't going to touch her, she realized the treasure in front of her. Too soon I think to try to win her over with food. I think she's preoccupied with the fleas right now, honestly. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sonnyvincent

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I took her to the vet today... and she was a whole new cat. She was charming, purring, allowed us to pet her, etc. Now that we're home she's mad again. Is this typical, too? Maybe she was too nervous to be mad at the vet's office? Bad case of fleas, and some mild wheezing.Treated and hopefully will feel better soon!

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Poor thing. I think you are right to try to tackle the flea issue before trying to introduce her to your house.  I think shes just going to need time and patience.