In Need Of Support, My Cat Has Lymphoma. I Am Worried.

ninjazebra

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Sometimes, the lightning strikes twice. I am in a total shock. I adopted my first two cats in mid-september, and the 14th of november I chose to put down the youngest cat (7 months old) because of a serious FIP infection. I only had her for 60 days, but it broke my heart. Now, less than two weeks later, the other cat, named Nora (2 years old), has been diagnosed with lymphoma.

I think we may have caught it early, because she seems to be healthy and happy, and she eats and drinks well. The veterinarian noticed a small lump in her abdomen today while checking for other things, and she did a quick biopsy to confirm it was lymphoma. We're doing a CT scan of her tomorrow, to see how serious this is, and I've decided to fight this and try to save her. I'm hoping they can operate and maybe we don't need to do chemotherapy.

I am a 28 year old male who lives alone, and these cats have enriched my life so much these two months, and helped me with my anxiety. I feel so bad right now, does anyone have experience with lymphoma treatment?

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I am so, so sorry. Although I do NOT have direct experience with this, several of our members have. I can tell you that chemo is not nearly as rough on cats as it is on humans. Some have little to no side-effects at all, and those who do have side-effects tend not to have them so severely as is typical for humans.

You are not alone. We are here. I am so sorry that it has taken this to bring you here, but I am very happy that you found us. You have a community now.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
That is really rough. :alright:

I do have experience with lymphoma in cats. We did surgery to remove the mass, chemotherapy and a second surgery when it came back. In our case, the second surgery was unsuccessful because the lump had dug into his artery and he would have bleed out. While chemotherapy was unsuccessful for him, he was 9 almost 10 years old and there are many factors in play, that should not dissuade you from treating aggressively in your situation.

From my experience, cats do handle chemotherapy better than humans. My boy had every week treatments (I think, it's been aafew year might have been every other week) on top of at home medications. He never lost wieght, his appitite or showed signs of problems. His only trouble was the hour and a half drive to and from the vet. Even that, he mellowed out about it by the end.

As long as your cat is okay with the frequent vet visits I would go for it, especially given her younger age. If she isn't good with medications check out How Can I Give A Pill To My Cat for some tips and tricks.

Good luck! Please keep us updated on progress. We are here for support and a shoulder to cry on if you need it.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

ninjazebra

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for replying, I really appreciate the support! This day has been really tough on me and my cat. I took her to the vet to talk about the chances of her developing FIP, and we ended up with the lymphoma diagnosis. I am still in shock that my first two cats got these somewhat rare diagnoses. It seems so unfair. Luckily she is insured, so I am getting help with the costs.

I'm so glad there is a community such as this, because I feel most of my friends don't understand the pain of losing a pet, or having a pet with health issues.

ninjazebra

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
...also, I read about the treatments, I am so happy that chemo treatment for cats seems to be a little less horrible than it can be for humans.

I'm hoping for a full recovery, or a few good years for my beloved cat :(

ninjazebra

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you, it's good to feel your support. It's tough dealing with these situations when living alone, and my friends who are not pet owners don't really understand, so it's nice to read your posts.

Last week was really bad for us, but we got through. The CT scan on wednesday showed only one tumor, so I dropped her off friday morning for surgery, and they removed it! I'm very happy about that. They sent it somewhere to be analyzed, and then they can tell us if we need to do any more treatment.

Nora is doing fine, walking around in a red suit/shirt while healing up. I really hope this isn't an aggressive form of cancer.

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you, it's good to feel your support. It's tough dealing with these situations when living alone, and my friends who are not pet owners don't really understand, so it's nice to read your posts.

Last week was really bad for us, but we got through. The CT scan on wednesday showed only one tumor, so I dropped her off friday morning for surgery, and they removed it! I'm very happy about that. They sent it somewhere to be analyzed, and then they can tell us if we need to do any more treatment.

Nora is doing fine, walking around in a red suit/shirt while healing up. I really hope this isn't an aggressive form of cancer.
XOXOXOXOXOXOX Sending the warmest thought you way and prayers for a full recovery for Nora. :vibes::heartshape::vibes:

Red suit - she is all prepped for the festive season!

XOXOXOXOXOXOXXOXOXOXOXOXOX :vibes::grouphug::crossfingers:

dan32

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I had a cat with lymphoma on his spleen/pancreas. He perked up after the ER gave me a daily script for prednisone, but cautioned that he may not make it more than a few months on pred only.

Whole story here: S.O.S. - Kinney has anorexia/anemia

He and I went through four weekly treatments of chemo (out of what would have been 16 in total). It was terribly rough on him. He would barely recover from one chemo session when it was time for the next one. In the end, he did not make it.

See if you can search out some of LDG's posts about her cat (Lazlow?) who had large cell lymphoma on his stomach, got the full 16 chemo treatments and recovered. It was a very inspirational story.

Wishing you the best. Now in retrospect, I almost wish I had just kept giving him the daily pred and enjoyed the remaining time I had with him and skipped the chemo. The chemo they were giving my cat was the same protocol they use for humans, just in lower doses.

dan32

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I think lymphoma is not a singular disease and can occur in many areas of a cat's body. I am remembering some got problems on their head or others on an extremity or others internally. The only way they can tell if it is in their gut is by doing an ultrasound and I seem to remember the only way to tell what type of lymphoma it is, is by taking a biopsy sample. A thousand times I had wished my cat's lymphoma was on the outside where it could have been easily removed.

Let us all know how the biopsy turns out.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
...also, I read about the treatments, I am so happy that chemo treatment for cats seems to be a little less horrible than it can be for humans.

I'm hoping for a full recovery, or a few good years for my beloved cat :(
How are things going now, ninjazebra ninjazebra ? (Love the user name, too!)

I hope all better than good and she's driving you nuts wanting to play, eat, purr and be loved. :wave3::hellocomputer:

ninjazebra

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I had a cat with lymphoma on his spleen/pancreas. He perked up after the ER gave me a daily script for prednisone, but cautioned that he may not make it more than a few months on pred only.

Whole story here: S.O.S. - Kinney has anorexia/anemia

He and I went through four weekly treatments of chemo (out of what would have been 16 in total). It was terribly rough on him. He would barely recover from one chemo session when it was time for the next one. In the end, he did not make it.

See if you can search out some of LDG's posts about her cat (Lazlow?) who had large cell lymphoma on his stomach, got the full 16 chemo treatments and recovered. It was a very inspirational story.

Wishing you the best. Now in retrospect, I almost wish I had just kept giving him the daily pred and enjoyed the remaining time I had with him and skipped the chemo. The chemo they were giving my cat was the same protocol they use for humans, just in lower doses.
Thank you for your insight, and I'm so sorry the treatments didn't work so well for you.

How are things going now, ninjazebra ninjazebra ? (Love the user name, too!)

I hope all better than good and she's driving you nuts wanting to play, eat, purr and be loved. :wave3::hellocomputer:
Haha, thanks. She wants lots of attention and cuddles, that's for sure! I'm so happy that she seems joyful, it gives me hope.

I don't have experience with chemo to treat lymphoma but my Nora wants to wish your Nora good luck :goodluck::alright::vibes:
View attachment 265242
Oh, how nice! Thank you :-)

ninjazebra

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We are still waiting for the biopsy results. There is one interesting change: since september, Nora has been going around the living room miaowing every night around bedtime, for 20 minutes. This stopped when I took her home after her surgery. Maybe she felt the tumor, and knew something was up? …or, she was nervous about moving into a new home.

Here she is. She's not too happy about the suit, but she does look cute in it.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We are still waiting for the biopsy results. There is one interesting change: since september, Nora has been going around the living room miaowing every night around bedtime, for 20 minutes. This stopped when I took her home after her surgery. Maybe she felt the tumor, and knew something was up? …or, she was nervous about moving into a new home.

Here she is. She's not too happy about the suit, but she does look cute in it.
Adorable is a better word!!:D:hellocomputer:

I am not sure on the meowing thing, but it's weird that she stopped after her surgery.
I haven't noticed it as much with my cats, but a few times over the years I've had dogs that turn into clingy monsters and practically have a panic attack if I'd try to slip out the door without them, 9 times out of 10, something was physically wrong. If they could talk, they probably wouldn't have said "I am in renal failure and I'm scared" or "I have a heart defect", they'd just say "I don't feel right and I don't like this."
With me, any aches and pains get worse at night, so maybe if the tumor was bothering her or pushing up on an organ or something, it bothered her worse that time of night and now that it's not there, she is relieved of that sensation and can relax a little bit.
She's a cute one for sure. I especially like how feminine her face is and how small and petite her feet are. She looks like a little lady.
Pulling for you both. Please let us know her results!:grouphug:

ninjazebra

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I was away sick for awhile. How is she?
The incision is healing nicely, and she doesn't have to wear the red suit any more. Haven't heard back from the vet yet about the tumor. Still hoping for it not being malignant.

Other than that, Nora is back to normal, such a sweet cat, jumping up in the sofa every evening demanding cuddles :-) Eating and drinking well, also.

Thank you for your support, everyone. I don't feel quite so alone anymore..!