In need of personal opinions or experiences

carouselmom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Our cat of 17 had what we thought was just an infection on her toes.We tried to keep it clean and kept it covered, at one point she had gotten the bandage off and chewed on the area. Brought her to vet, they took biopsy suspected fibro sarcoma, which turned out to be correct. Next step was too to decide to do chest x Ray to see if it has spread. All clear, next was too to decide to repair or amputation.We decided amputation rather than have an issue with her chewing at it again. The vet also pulled blood to check for kidney issues etc. The blood with came back clear got everything except anemic which we think may be due to her lost before we took her in. They don't have a donor at the hospital, they aren't sure if she will make it thru without it. So my question is should we proceed with the surgery, wait and try to build her up, not sure how long it will take. She is eating fairly well, b.s. Lost weight when the issue with the foot started. On antibiotics, peeing and deficating regularly. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

a cattan

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hopefully this will help you, if there is no donor, and I believe you mean blood donor, can you vet get plasma from another clinic,I have no idea where you are located, but some of the emergency clinics and larger animal medical centers have it, you don't need to be in ny city, my vet is outside buffalo, ny and we have done bother a transfusion with plasma, and from a donor, sometimes a vet has a donor cat there, one of the employees brought her kitty in to help my Ben, which I will always be so very grateful for, again I dont know where you are, but if you happen to be within a couple hrs drive of orchard park, ny outside of buffalo, people come from Pennsylvania and Canada to go there, their number is 716-662 6660 comma and it is Orchard Park Veterinary Medical Center I hope this helps you I wish I knew where you were please reply

Blessings to you and your fur baby,

April And The Pride And Forever Beloved Angels Khar Pern, Thomas Honey And Ben My Loves

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

carouselmom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for your response. I'm located in Ct. I just feel at a loss because we thought that we only had to worry about the cancer spreading to chest, then possible kidney issues. And she shows so much to continue, but I'm not clueless to the fact this isn't easy for her. I'm not sure how much it will cost and how far do I go?I think if we could just past the issue of amputation she will do great, besides the fact that we are now dealing with anemic.I'm afraid if we wait w will be right back at the beginning and then possibly have it spread so the end result will be the same. I'm not sure her numbers for anemic.From what I read it will cost 500+ for blood transfusion.No guarantee she will even survive thru surgery, so should we gamble with surgery, or just stop at this point and let her go in peace. We have already come to conclusion that she may not have a good outcome, so lost as to what to do. Calling the vet today.

a cattan

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello again,
so sorry for what you are going through, you said you are located in Ct, I couldn't get your kitty, and what you are going through out of my mind, Hopefully I can help, I don't really know anything about this facility, but it really lookslike it might be worth taking your cat there for an evaluation comma I'm trying to use voice recognition software is my typing is all thumbs this I will write out , perhaps have you vet contact them, google them and you will be able to get more info, they sound like a good medical center online, you will have to judge by talking to them, not sure where in CT you are located,
New England Veterinary Center and cancer Care
955 Kennedy Rd
Windsor, CT 06095. Phone 860 688 8400
Hope this helps , there may be a medical center closer to you, look for one that is open 24/7 365 which generally indicates a higher functioning specialized care center , the one in Windsor sounded good to me and they state their ability to deal with what your kitty may have, have you had a biopsy done
just know that kitty's deal better with things like chemotherapy than humans do, if your baby needs that, Take care and Blessings to you furbaby and you

April And The Pride And Forever Beloved Angels Khar Pern, Thomas Honey And Ben My Loves

a cattan

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Apologies for the lack of punctuation in the long message, voice recognition does not accept punctuation instruction very well, Hopefully you can decipher it

carouselmom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks again for all the input. After speaking with the vet yesterday she suassured me that Ella our cat anemic is not as drastic as I assumed from her voicemail, not saying it isn't bad. She explained to me that if we go thru with the amputation, that should would not have the means to access blood in case a transfusion is needed. Yes I could bring her another vet, but our funds are not that great to afford 3000.As a family we have decided to go thru with the surgery, and hope for the best. I'm thankful the time we have had with her. If she comes thru surgery than that is a blessing, if not then we tried and the outcome would of been the same. We would of had to make the decision to put her down this week if the cancer had spread to her chest. So I feel we have been given the extra time with her. She will be going in on Wednesday morning. Hoping for the best, prepared for the other. Thanks again.I will keep you updated.

carouselmom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Update on our cat Ella. She has come out of surgery, doing better than the vet expected. So I guess it pays off knowing your animal and how much fight they still have or when it is time to let them be at peace. We are not sure how much time we will have with her from here on, but it is truly a blessing whatever time we do.

a cattan

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I just got your email that she was going into surgery today, so very, very Happy for her and your family that she pulled through, I am sure you will treasure every moment that you have with her, I agree with your decesions to give her the chance to live, by having the surgery, Blessing to all of you for caring so much

April And The Pride And Forever Beloved Angels Khar Pern, Thomas Honey, And Ben My Loves