In Need Of Advice

Gaia&Ella

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all!

I have a 9 month old girl, very cuddly and clingy, she's basically my baby and I could not be happier about it.

I am considering the idea of fostering cats and kittens in need, until they find their forever home: do you think this might have repercussions on my Ella? The initial jealousy aside, could she actually become affectionate to the foster furbabies and then suffer when they leave?

Thanks to everyone for your help!

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
She is young enough that she will adapt pretty well, I think. And if fostering in your hometown goes like fostering in this area, as soon as one group leaves, they will be begging you to take another, so she won't have time to actively miss the earlier group. Just make certain that any kittens you foster are healthy and have been checked for communicable diseases!

Brian007

Furmate and Famulus
Top Cat
Purraise
:goldstar:

A few things of which to be aware:

Female cats can be quite uppity with other unrelated female cats.

But introducing new cats is best done when under 18 months old or older than 4 years old. So, Ella is at a congenial age just now.

You may want/need to consider using a foster room or pen especially for the guests, and keeping the two aspects of furfamily life separate.

If you are in the UK, there is many a rule regarding fostering and adoption but you will be greatly supported by whichever charity you choose.

Your kitty may benefit from a permanent (male) companion, if you are to foster long term, as having an ally and a chum may ease the upheaval.

You'll most likely need plenty of cat trees/shelves/perches/scratchers/litter boxes/feeding stations/etc if everyone is to share the same space.

Ella will need lots of extra love and assurance that she's your number one.

However, you will probably find Ella and yourself adopting one or two of your fosters along the way.....

:wavey: