In a panic over what kibble to replace purina with

Rayzieka

Ziggy & Zim
Kitten
Purraise
I've been giving my cats purina one tender selects salmon but after hours of research online after seeing a ton of reviews on maggots
for whatever reason theres an overwhelming amount of issues with all the purina cat kibble in the reviews everywhere the last 6 months and i dont want that drama touching my precious babies. I have no clue whats happening with purina right now but im switching.

Issue is now im noticing all the recent reviews on all the top cat kibble brands are saying their cats got extremely sick

Now I've no clue what to get them.

They do get wet food twice a day but they love their kibble dispenser- they would be waking me up every few hours if not for it.
( I have it set to dispense a portion into two dishes every 4 hours :lol: )

What kibble do you feed your cat and when did you last buy the bag? I'm not touching purina especially until this is resolved.

Lennybells

I’m a slave to my furry master
Adult Cat
Purraise
I use Open Farm cat kibble. (I have a kitten, so I use their kitten feed). My cat adores it, and it is so easy to get it on Amazon. Lot’s of 5 start reviews. I haven’t heard of any trouble with recalls and stuff with their mix either. Hope this helps!

Cf24248

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've heard stuff about the Purina drama on my FB groups, but I'm also noticing several of the people who are THE most vocal about it all are pushing a newish specific brand of cat food as the alternative, so I'm immediately skeptical of the legitimacy of the claims vs. it being a widespread "marketing" tactic. I still have been feeding Purina with no problems - I will switch when there's hard fast proof of there being an issue, IMO.

That said, I used to feed Royal Canin, and had very good luck with that as well, and it was a very easy transition for my sensitive stomach kitty, so that could be worth looking into!

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ours eats Blackwood chicken lean. It comes in another flavor and a not lean line. She likes it and it's made her fur silky. No recalls that I know of. We order from Chew.com

Babypaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
When somebody mentions a brand of cat food, whether wet or dry, I go to
catfooddb.com to check it out. Some brands are below average and others are above but they have more carbs. I’ve been trying to find a decent dry cat food that doesn’t have a lot of carbs or added non-essential ingredients and it’s very hard. I’ve been trying to get my cats away from the Friskies dry. I’ve noticed the last two bags that I bought even though the expiration date is well in advance. When I open them the kibble looks old. Even some of my cats will walk away from it. I don’t know why they have to put food coloring in cat food, the cats don’t care what color it is, but I’ve heard it’s to entice the cat owners to buy it because it looks so good 👎

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
What kibble do you feed your cat
It has been a little while, since Mr Captain started throwing up every single brand of kibble --of 5, so I just stopped trying with dry food, however you could check into Halo or Blue varieties.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Rayzieka

Ziggy & Zim
Kitten
Purraise
When somebody mentions a brand of cat food, whether wet or dry, I go to
catfooddb.com to check it out. Some brands are below average and others are above but they have more carbs. I’ve been trying to find a decent dry cat food that doesn’t have a lot of carbs or added non-essential ingredients and it’s very hard. I’ve been trying to get my cats away from the Friskies dry. I’ve noticed the last two bags that I bought even though the expiration date is well in advance. When I open them the kibble looks old. Even some of my cats will walk away from it. I don’t know why they have to put food coloring in cat food, the cats don’t care what color it is, but I’ve heard it’s to entice the cat owners to buy it because it looks so good 👎
Thanks for letting me know about this! I think I'll go with Nulo chicken and cod ( because they hate duck and turkey ANYTHING ). Its a lot more expensive than purina but maybe the price means something. My babies are definitely worth the extra $30 or so a month.

The majority of of bad reviews on this brand seem to be just about cats not liking it but most cats are picky for no good reason so that's normal and a risk im willing to take lol

The majority of their diet is wet food anyway but they LOVE kibble throughout my odd sleeping hours- so if they must eat it I need to make sure its not going to hurt them!

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
There's no confirmed issues with Purina foods.

A few members have actually been discussing here the fear tactics that are going on online to push people to change foods: Problems with Purina Pro Plan??

IF there is nothing wrong with the food YOU have and YOUR cats aren't having any issues, (ie you're opening it and not seeing maggots, which could happen if someone is leaving the food open or storing dry food improperly), than it is safe to continue to feed your cats.

IF there is something wrong with your cats and you believe it is caused by the food, please report it to both Purina and your local health organization (FDA in the US for example or Health Canada, etc).

That being said if you are looking to change swiftly, Iams is a similar food that cats might take to easily from Purina. Since it's a similar recipe, they hopefully would not get a stomach upset. Take a gander at the discussion posted and see if you still feel the need to change.

Personally, my cats have been eating Purina just fine. They eat the wet urinary, kitten and sometimes the pro plan prime plus.
What We Know About Social Media Reports that Purina Dog Food Caused Pets' Deaths