Immunizations.. Pros And Cons

Newton09

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I know I am opening scan of worms here but really would like feedback. We just bought a Scottish Fold kitten 11 weeks old.. the breeder says she does not recommend the series of temporary shots usually recommended by vets. Also for inside cats she didn't recommend anything but rabies and then only every three years. She said she had seen more downside than upside to these shots... what are your opinions?

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I do think we over vaccinate cats. However, with mine i always get ALL of the kitten shots. My vet works with me on this, i get the first shots, and the boosters. Some cat diseases can kill a cat easy, and you never know what you can bring in on your clothes or shoes. Some of these deadly diseases can be prevented by vaccination, and frankly if i didn't and my cat dies i would always blame myself. Not to say there are no dangers of vaccinations, there are, just like there are for human kids. And while i dont think it is necessary to booster for the rest of the cats life i think the first shots and boosters are safer to get, than not.

After they are 2 or so then i do not keep getting the boosters. I do get the every 3 year rabies shots. I really recommend you talk to your vet, mine was very open to talking about it, and taking care of mine this way, as they are indoor only.

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Opinions.......well, IMO, the "breeder" is a Luddite. Period.

The rest of my opinion is generally summed up here: Vaccines for Cats: We Need to Stop Overvaccinating - Lisa A. Pierson, DVM.

If you reside in a jurisdiction where Rabies vaccination is mandatory, then you are subject to certain sanctions should there be a event in which your cat is reported to be unvaccinated. If you choose to vaccinate the cat against Rabies, then ensure that only the Merial PUREVAX Feline Rabies Vaccine is used (that info is included in the above link).