I'm Worried

Smchildress59

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Okay so my cat went into labor last night around 8 or 9 she didn't have the kitten until around 2:30 or 3 and she was having trouble my mother actually helped pull it out. I know that there are more kittens in there and I did see what I thought was a placenta come out after she had that one and she ate it. She is still having contractions and she had another sack pop today but she hasn't had another kitten. I'm really worried. Is it normal for labor to last this long I mean we thought she would be done by now.

foxden

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I would call an ER vet ASAP for advice.
Most 24 hour vets want you to call first and can offer advice on the phone.
To me, it sounds as if there could be
another large kitten, especially since the first kitten needed help.

kmbishop111

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I agree with foxden foxden If she is having contractions and the second placenta broke, call the Vet ASAP. Tonight.
Not to worry you, but it could be a medical emergency for your baby. They usually will go b/t 30 mins -- 4 hrs in between kittens. Cats can actually go into a stalled labor if they sense danger or are very stressed while birthing. This can last between 24 - 48 hours I believe. I'm not a vet, but from what you have described it sounds like she may need some help at this point. Keep us posted.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
If she is ok no visble worries - pauses do happen . Its just to watch and wait. But if its labor without results or other problems - call the vet, be ready to rush in - asap. Here it sound as vet errand.