I'm Wondering If Vets Who Work On Outdoor Cats Always Clip Their Toenails . . .

kommunity kats

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
. . . before checking them out for an infection or other problem they are presenting with.

I like my vet very much. Just don't like that she trimmed all the sharp hooks of my cat's nails when I took him in with an infection this week. She said after irrigating the area that he didn't seem in any pain, so didn't get anything for pain, and never lashed out in any way.

But now I have to keep him from his favorite activity of roaming the yard, sleeping under bushes, & stalking moving critters & plant parts . . . until his nails grow back their hooks . . . even if the infection has already long healed over.

He's an outdoor community cat that we got neutered along with the rest of his extended family members who took up living here. He sometimes chooses to nap inside, even spend long periods inside on very hot or cold days. But, he much prefers to be loose at will! I hate seeing him stressed at the confinement, even though I have him in an outdoor kennel during the day, with shelves & beds & litter-box & view of a bird-feeder, and, he doesn't dry all the time . . .but tells me he wants out when I walk by.

Anyway . . . I thought vets used a towel to wrap their patient-cats in to help protect themselves from getting clawed by possible distraught patients, instead of having to clip their toenails short as a precaution . . . especially when the patient is mainly an outdoor cat. Was I wrong to think that . . . ?

SiameseMummy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm not sure if I'm missing something here but why would getting his claws trimmed prevent him from doing any of those activities?

He just needs to scratch a few trees to sharpen them up doesn't he?

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wouldn't worry about him being outside with trimmed nails. He can still climb trees and mess up a dog if he has to :).

I think a lot of vets automatically do nail trims on all patients, not just to prevent the vet from getting clawed, but because a lot of pets have overgrown nails and that's a good chance to get it done.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
My vet trims claw tips to protect herself and her staff. I don't keep my guys inside because of the trimmed claws, they will be sharp again fairly quickly and will still do damage.