I'm thinking of switching to a raw food diet

yashlier

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have 3 resident cats and 1 stray cat that may become a resident
that I would like to switch to a raw diet so I have a few questions about it.
There are some things i just can't find answers for on google

1. Is it ok to feed a raw diet to a cat with a sensitive stomach?

2. How many times a day do they need to be fed this diet?

3. What types of meats do your cats prefer?

4. Will the raw diet balance out the weight issues? I have one cat that is over weight and one that is under.

5. I keep rats and rabbits as pets my cats for the most part will leave them alone, Will the raw diet have an effect on there behavior towards my smaller furry friends?

If you guys can answer any of these questions or point me in the direction of a good info source that would be really helpful

furryfriends50

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
1) I think it is perfectly fine to feed raw to a cat with a sensitive stomach. Panther, one of mine, did horribly on any commercial cat food. Her fur was just spotted white because of all the dandruff. Now that she is on raw her fur has turned incredibly shiny and she finally feels good!

2) Ideally you should feed raw two (or more) times a day. It is really whatever works for your cat.

3) Mine love (almost) any meat!!! The only thing I have fed that they didn't like was goat.

4) Clover was always underwieght on commercial cat food. She has gained wieght and is now at the perfect wieght. Feeding raw should also help with an overwieght cat as raw meat is obviously very low in carbs and carbs help contribute to a lot of wieght gain in cats. You'll need to feed the right amount for their ideal wieghts but if you do that I would think you would have very positive results.

5) I don't think it would affect thier behavior towards your other pets. However I wouldn't go the whole prey route for yours just to be safe.

A really good site for info is: http://rawfedcats.org/feedingraw.htm

koobe

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by yashlier

I have 3 resident cats and 1 stray cat that may become a resident
that I would like to switch to a raw diet so I have a few questions about it.
There are some things i just can't find answers for on google

4. Will the raw diet balance out the weight issues? I have one cat that is over weight and one that is under.

5. I keep rats and rabbits as pets my cats for the most part will leave them alone, Will the raw diet have an effect on there behavior towards my smaller furry friends?

If you guys can answer any of these questions or point me in the direction of a good info source that would be really helpful
1) I personally think raw is good for sensitive stomach. I have Cheetah, who is allergic to Wellness kitten canned food when he was young, and was in ER and such. I switched him to raw when he was 4 months old, and he has been doing well. (He went to the hospital for inflammation of stomach, but after coming back from the vet, we placed dry, wet and raw, and he picked raw food. He had no problem having raw food even when he was sick.)

2) I feed them 3 meals a day. It's because they are kittens (10 months) and they do not want to eat all the time, so I keep offering.

3) My cats prefer quail. One really likes Rad Cats Turkey.

4) Not sure about balancing weight issue. But since we have to give raw food according to their weight. 3% of body weight to maintain weight. So I do not think the raw diet will balance the weight, you will have to measure each meal for each cat.

5) Not sure about this one.

Glad you are thinking of switching to raw! Good Luck!

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
1. Is it ok to feed a raw diet to a cat with a sensitive stomach? Depends on the cat and the Quality of meat avail to you...

2. How many times a day do they need to be fed this diet? Cats by nature are grazers so at least 2 time s a day 3 preferred

3. What types of meats do your cats prefer? rabbit , beef , chicken , turkey , quail , game hen , venison( only one able) , elk and buffalo are used here

yes ... in theory that is ... for many the digestion and eat less or more to fill up = proper wt ... For me a VERY underwt cat gained 3 lbs on mostly raw but another lost wt who did not need to lose

I agree dont use the whole prey route

A Certified vet nutritionist is your best bet... next is a nutritional minded vet( many out there just ask around) ... then a vet who is open minded and willing to learn for and with you

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

yashlier

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for the info!
I'm testing the waters by giving them raw treats, so far the new kitties have no problem eating it but my other two stuck there noses up at me lol so this will be a slow and long process of figuring out what they like and switching them if I go the raw route i may just switch to wet

catsallaround

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I had far fewer cats I did raw/sojourner farms mix. For the most part they took but I also fed wet to those not to interested.

My sensitive stomache cat did well on it. He also enjoyed a quality brand of wet(a blank for the name but I know it was before the mass hype as it was onle sold at one store that was 15 miles away...)

Mine were eating 2 times a day sometimes just 1 meal and a natural made cooked dinner

I did ground beef turkey and chicken. Id throw in some smaller cut beef at times

I dont think I used it long enough to notice any weight changes good or bad

I never has any other pets

Good luck

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Wet is a far simplier and for most more economical and less fuss method...

a raw diet not done right is far worse than even a grocery dry diet ...

alias

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by yashlier

Yes, my cat has a bowel condition and has done famously on raw.

It's really up to you but cats like to eat little and often so i feed mine about 5 times a day.

It is best to start with as much variety as possible so as to avoid fussy eaters. I give mine lamb, chicken, turkey, pork, heart, kidney and liver. Also sardines for omega 3. Mine hate beef, i've heard this about many cats.

I'm not too sure about that tbh, but raw doesn't have the kitty junk that other food's do so it should.

Your cat's behaviour should actually be improved with a raw diet. If they feel better they will act accordingly.

Hope all that info helps. Let us know how you get on.

kitty2cat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
What types of meats do your cats prefer?

My cats love beef muscle meat (which I hear is odd).

I just started feeding them raw over the last two weeks or so. It was slow going for two, but hand feeding them organ meat (i.e. cutting it into tiny pieces at letting them eat it out of my hand) got them excited. They seem to love all varieties of liver. I try not to give them too much liver because I am worried about Vit. A poisoning--if I didn't stop them, I am sure they wouldn't eat anything but liver, but a few bites of liver is a nice way to begin a meal especially if the muscle meat is chicken (their least favorite).

They also really like it when I sit down on the floor with them as they eat and point to pieces of food that look especially delectable. I think it reassures them that, yes, these weird slimy things are edible.

I have also had luck dropping raw food from the counter on the floor. That way they think the meat is a treat or a yummy human food.

It's so much more fun to feed them raw even it is more work. I totally recommend it.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have beef and poultry eaters... some bison, elk and venison... due to health concerns no fish or pork...the liver issue is a hot debate item... 50/50 on weather you really can give too much ...