I'm pregnant with 2 cats

gemini52880

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi All,

I'm expecting my very first human child. You know my cats are my kids too :-). However I'm concerned about the cats jumping in the crib or play pen with the baby. I heard there was like some kind of net that you can put over the crib. Does anyone know the name of it, or is there anything else I can do to prevent that.

Thanks for all your help
Nicole

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have no suggestions, but I'm sorry, I had to giggle at the title of your post.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I laughed, too. It's always funny, those small sentence structure mistakes. There was one a while back that made it sound like the friend (human) had a pooping problem.

What you're thinking of is a crib mosquito net. But very few cats like to cuddle up to a loud wiggly infant, so don't be surprised if they want nothing to do with your child or the crib.

dusty's mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My son and DIL have 2 cats and human triplet baby girls. Never once has either cat tried to cuddle with any of the girls. She had to lay one of the babies next to the sleeping cat to get this picture, and even then the cat got up and left.

I think you are right to watch the kitties carefully especially in the first few days. But don't be surprised if the baby is completely ignored.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gemini52880

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
OMG!!!! That is to funny, I didn't realize what it sounded/look like when I typed it. I read the response and just cracked up laughing. Tears streaming down my face. Thanks for such a good laugh :-)

cosabella

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I can't speak for all cats, but my 9 y/o cat has been around through the birth of 4 babies (nephews and nieces). One of them is now 8 mos. old. My cat has no interest in being near newborns, let alone trying to jump in crib while the baby is asleep.

You know your cats and their temperament. Would they even want to jump in the crib and playpen?

ducman69

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Babies are usually loud, make stinky poos, and have robot death grips.

I have a feeling any kitty curiosity would be very short lived.

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Ducman69

Babies are usually loud, make stinky poos, and have robot death grips.

I have a feeling any kitty curiosity would be very short lived.
Robot death grips.

Honestly, I wouldn't worry about it too much. Newborns just lie there, they don't scurry, so they won't appear as prey to your cats.

Just in case, be sure to keep your cats' nails trimmed.

heatherdunne

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm also laughing at the title of the post

You could try one of those tent cribs, but unless you have reason to think your cats would be dangerous, it might not even be necessary. My parents had five cats when I was born, and according to my mom they were completely fine the whole time I was a baby. Four of them basically ignored me, while one of them apparently liked to watch me from a safe distance.

I don't think most cats are interested in babies after initially meeting them.

taryn

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Most cats don't want to have anything to do with babies. When Bobby was 7 weeks old we went to my MIL's house and my husband's childhood cat Sinbad was there. Sinbad weighed a much as a three year old human(that cat was fat, even on a diet.)

He sniffed Bobby about twice and ignored him. While I was there Bobby started letting me know he was hungry so I left him in the living room(Sinbad was dead asleep on the floor) and went into the kitchen to make a bottle. Well Bobby decided I wasn't moving fast enough and started to howl(the other human moms know the cry I'm talking about.) Sinbad walked into the kitchen at down and just started staring at me like "That little human is upset, please fix him, he's interrupting my nap." I told him I was going as fast as I could. Literally it was put water in bottle, add formula and shake bottle, and I shook it as I was walking back to him. I don't heat bottles, only time it was needed was for breast milk straight out of the fridge when he was a newborn because it made him barf.

Sinbad had been around since my (now ex) husband's little brother was a baby so he knew what a baby was and that they should be avoided.

I have never met a cat that wants anything to do with babies, they are too loud, smell weird(even when they don't have full diapers), they move too much and if they get their hands on fur or tails it hurts.

Taryn

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
BUT, babies are also warm, so some cats may enjoy snuggling with a sleeping baby. Which is fine after a certain age, but a new baby who can't turn his head away could possibly suffocate. So I do advise caution, and a crib tent isn't going to hurt anything. Worth a try anyway.

my4llma

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love the title of this!

I don't have any babies, so I can't really offer you any advice. Except always keep a close eye on the cats when their around your baby. I'm sure their interest in the baby will eventually fade, when they realize the baby is going to be living there with them for always
If your worried about them jumping into the crib with the baby, try looking up crib tents like Willowy suggested.

luvmyparker

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When my niece was born and stayed at my parents, Parker was curious at first. Sniffing the air from a safe distance, then only getting close enough to smell her clothes and backed away. If she cried, he ran and hid. Sometimes he would sit up on the ledge and watch over her. Was kind of cute, like he was protecting her
My mother was paranoid about the whole milk thing around the baby's mouth and cats being attracted to it but he definitely didn't want to get that close to her.