I'm not sure if my cat loves me.

juriesempai

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I spend time with my cats whenever i have time. Since ive gotten my new baby Faye though ( 3 or 4 months ago) Rayne has been uninterested in toys, she doesn't like to stay in my room long and for some reason she makes a huge fuss in the middle of the night because she prefers sleeping in my parent's room, even though she's not allowed in there. The only time she ever shows any affection is feeding times 4 times a day, or treat time once a day. She gets along with the younger kitty just fine. They play together all the time. So if it's not that, then does she really dislike being around me that much?

I also don't like that for this happy month of december my parents dont want the kitties roaming the house because of the christmas tree, so they have been confined to the upatairs living space.( my room, my parent's room , the bathroom and game room) But we do live in a larger house and she has a cat tree and plenty of windowsills. I just don't know. My cat is especially affectionate to my father and all he does is throw her back in my room when she scratches at his door in the night.

I'd really like to know why my cat is being so distant only to me it seems.

detroitcatlady

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
There may be two separate issues here. Whenever you bring a new kitten into the house it always seems to take a while for the cat living with you before to go back to their normal behavior. Female cats can be very territorial and often takes longer for them to accept a new kitten (especially if it is female) than a male. When I brought my youngest cat into the house (she is only 8 months now) she was a baby and at first my female cat wanted nothing to do with me and hissed a lot. But she came around and eventually went back to her cuddly self and now she loves the kitten and they are inseparable. It always seems to take longer for a cat to go back to their normal behavior towards me after I bring a new cat into my house than it does for them to accept that cat and start enjoying their company.

Another issue is that your cats are being confined to the upstairs. Your cat may be reacting this way because she is not being allowed in a part of the house she is used to being in. I understand the need to keep her away from the tree for her own safety but it is not uncommon for cats to react oddly when changes are made in the house. I had many occasions that I had to keep my cats in different parts of the house and not allow them in certain areas while I was fixing things, painting, etc and they seemed generally annoyed at me for this and often kept me up meowing because they wanted to go into the places they were not being allowed.

I have one cat who will not tolerate being locked out of a room. She will meow loudly and scratch the door, grabbing the door knob with her paws. She actually taught herself how to turn the knobs and open the doors so now I can't keep her from entering any part of the house

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

juriesempai

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cats started getting along after about 2 weeks though O:  Rayne just sort of lets the kitten get to the toys first so she never plays with them anymore. and yeah i think that second one might be the reason. :c they slipped downstairs a few times but they started climbing the christmas tree so i had to put them back upstairs and i felt bad cause i know that they just want to hang out where they usually hang out but they're unable to. :'3

Also about your cats opening doors, mine do that as well. They can't break out of my room and wake up my parents at night anymore though because i switched out my lever handle doorknob for a rounded one and they can't get a good grip on it! LOL

Last edited: