I'm not a cat person, but I am an animal lover who now has a (feral) momma cat and her two kittens in my home.

wildflwer

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
This calico cat has been hanging around my neighborhood for a few years. She had three kittens under my shed last year. I was able to catch them and find them a home. But I was never able to catch her to have her spayed. So this year she had two kittens under my neighbors house. She/they (kittens) were tearing all the insulation up under their house so the man who lives there was scaring them off with a spring loaded bb gun. (A really low powered one that won't really hurt them just scares them) But I didn't like seeing that so I told him I would catch them. So now I have these cats. I caught the two kittens and then was able to get the momma inside using the kittens and a string tied to my front door. The momma hides mostly but I was able to pet her a couple of times and she will even come up and touch her nose to my hand sometimes but then turns and runs right after. I want her to be able to be with her kittens but haven't been able to get her into the enclosure ( one of those zipper fold out octagon type things ) I can't let the kittens out to just runabout because I have a dog who would eat them. Since I got them the other day I've had to keep him tied up when he's inside. The momma is smart enough to not go near him but I worry about the kittens.The momma hangs out under the table right next to where I usually sit on the couch and sometimes gets up on the table in front of the TV. Anyways any tips on getting her to go inside with her babies would be helpful. Also I'm curious how common it is for a calico to have one solid white kitten ( has blue eyes but one is darker than the other ) and one solid black ( also has blue eyes ).

Attachments

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Up to 7 weeks, kittens have blue eyes...that is not to say that you could not have a permanently blue eyed kitten.

How long has this been going on, meaning having the family inside your house? It is very kind of you to have helped them. If this is very recent, the mother (who does not sound all that feral in personality) may go into them once she settles.

The kittens are eating some kind of food on their own?

poolcat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You are a star for rescuing these kitties! Is there a way to unzip the top enough to allow the mama to jump down inside, by way of a chair you could place next to it? Maybe in the night... or to get her meals, if you place her food inside the enclosure. Or would the kittens be able to climb out? They sure are cute.

terricacatwood

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for helping these cats. Would you be able to put your dog in a room or area where it can’t get out, preferably where the dog and cats couldn’t see each other, for an hour or other short amount of time? Or is your yard set up so your dog could be out there unattended for a bit? Then you could open up the enclosure, and maybe put a trail of treats or food the momma likes leading into the enclosure? Maybe it would entice her to go in and without the dog present she may be somewhat less skittish? If this were to happen before she had already been fed and was feeling hungry she may be extra motivated to follow the food into the enclosure, especially if her kittens are inside it. Once she has been in the enclosure and sees that nothing harmful happens she may be more likely to go inside it at will. Good luck!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

wildflwer

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Up to 7 weeks, kittens have blue eyes...that is not to say that you could not have a permanently blue eyed kitten.

How long has this been going on, meaning having the family inside your house? It is very kind of you to have helped them. If this is very recent, the mother (who does not sound all that feral in personality) may go into them once she settles.

The kittens are eating some kind of food on their own?
I've had them inside for maybe a week. And oh yea they have quite the appetite and devour every bit of food I give them. I leave the side door open when I feed them trying to get the mom to go in there because that's the only time they're not clamoring to get out. I'll start with the mom's food right where she has been hanging out and move it closer little by little then I'll put it inside with them and they will eat theirs and then start eating hers before she ever gets up the courage to go in. She has been absolutely terrified and hisses and sometimes growls but she has seen me with her babies and that I'm not hurting them so she getting a little better. I was only able to pet her because she was cornered under a table at the time. She would hiss and growl and swatted a few times but when I pet her she just froze and didn't bite me or claw me. I just wanted her to see that when I touched her I wasn't going to hurt her but I don't want to make her feel threatened by me either so since then I've been trying to let her come to me on her terms.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

wildflwer

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for helping these cats. Would you be able to put your dog in a room or area where it can’t get out, preferably where the dog and cats couldn’t see each other, for an hour or other short amount of time? Or is your yard set up so your dog could be out there unattended for a bit? Then you could open up the enclosure, and maybe put a trail of treats or food the momma likes leading into the enclosure? Maybe it would entice her to go in and without the dog present she may be somewhat less skittish? If this were to happen before she had already been fed and was feeling hungry she may be extra motivated to follow the food into the enclosure, especially if her kittens are inside it. Once she has been in the enclosure and sees that nothing harmful happens she may be more likely to go inside it at will. Good luck!
I live in a studio so there's not really another room to put him in. He is tied up on the opposite side of the house though and separated by a sectional couch and an extended gate thing as well. I have been putting him outside when I can but I live in Florida and it's been raining here the past few days, even had a couple of tornadoes this week. But the mom doesn't seem phased by him like she doesn't even react when he barks, guess because she knows he's tied up. And if I leave and come back she'll be laying right out in the open next to the enclosure. I tried leaving the top open because it's right next to the entertainment center where she hangs out sometimes but the kittens are very healthy and very active 😺 and they have figured out that they can scale the wall and get out 🙀 and they've gotten very good at it.

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you for saving them! Can you call a rescue for help? They often have fosters who are able to handle situations like this. Although it's kitten season, and the rescue where I volunteer is looking for fosters since they full up. But it's worth a try.

CatladyJan

<><
Top Cat
Purraise
Do you have a small carrier that will fit into the enclosure? You could put the kittens in there for a while and let momma go in and then zip her up.

Furrywurrypurry

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I don’t really have anything helpful to add, because I don’t have the experience. But I do think you are a wonderful human being for doing what you are doing.

what I do want to say (in jest) is clearly you are a cat person, even tho you might not know it or embrace it. Those kitties have picked you as their saviour and guardian even if it’s temporary. And they only ever pick cat people or those that they can convert to being cat people 😜

good luck and bless you

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for helping them all ❤ I hope you can get them all together soon. And give them time away from your dog etc. Time will tell if the white kitten keep the blue eyes, only the white kitten will since that gene can do it. They look about 5-6 weeks old maybe- I can't tell for sure from the photo. They are adorable too!

It sounds like the mom can be tamed too, the kittens need to be touched etc. to tame them, same for mom, but not until she allows it and is more calm.

A rescue may help to get them all adopted. I hope the mom can be adopted too.