I'm moving out and leaving behind 9 feral, will they adapt after me?

masteryouda99

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi. I've been consistently for the past 10 months everyday at the exact same time @5:30 putting in front of our house some dry food for the ferals. First they were like 3 or 4 cats, but once they knew the schedule they are now 9-10 cats, 3 of them are -feral- kittens (I reckon 3-4 months old)..

I've always put enough food for all of them, and some kind unknown neighbors put water daiy for Them as well.
But now I'm moving out, in the next couple of days, and the thought that I know everyday they will be waiting eagerly for me at 5:30 but I will not be there for them is heartbreaking for me. I have no control over it but every time I get this though I just keep crying. Folks don't love cats so I couldn't adopt ones, but I found these guys and decided they will be my friends (even though with the no-touch-with-occasional-hisses rule). It's just hard for me.

My question is, can they survive? Especially the new kittens? I also worry that when cats eat much dry food they refuse to eat something else, is that applicable to outdoor ferals as well?

Thank you kind people.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

masteryouda99

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I forgot to add, there are not the same cats in the last 10 months, some had gone (I don't understand why but probably a Tom kicked them out of the territory?) , some new faces had come. I think only 3 of them have been constantly showing up the last 10 months. Dome come and stay for a while then just leave.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
If you are moving within the next couple of days, there is not much time to plan for them. Yes, they will come and look for the food that you put out. It was very kind of you to do so.

Can you determine who puts out the water and see if they would be willing to continue with the dry food? Any neighbors you can approach who might help with this? If you have the Nextdoor app, create a post and see if anyone can help.

nextdoor.com

You have probably lost cats to attrition, but new ones come to take their place and ideally they should be fixed and released back to where they were with the exception of any who are adoptable, as the kittens might be. This probably takes more time than you have but it might be worth a call to some local cat rescues. and specifically TNR groups.

Are you in a position to compensate someone who might continue to feed for the dry food only?

masteryouda99

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If you are moving within the next couple of days, there is not much time to plan for them. Yes, they will come and look for the food that you put out. It was very kind of you to do so.

Can you determine who puts out the water and see if they would be willing to continue with the dry food? Any neighbors you can approach who might help with this? If you have the Nextdoor app, create a post and see if anyone can help.

nextdoor.com

You have probably lost cats to attrition, but new ones come to take their place and ideally they should be fixed and released back to where they were with the exception of any who are adoptable, as the kittens might be. This probably takes more time than you have but it might be worth a call to some local cat rescues. and specifically TNR groups.

Are you in a position to compensate someone who might continue to feed for the dry food only?
Thank you for your reply.

I unfortunately cannot tell who is this mystery neighbor up until now. I tried registering on next door but apparently it works only on the US.
We have a WhatsApp group for the neighborhood but I'm certain I will not post anything about these cats there. Some of these people have called out many times for getting rid of these cats at all "AKA poison them". One of the poison campaigns actually showed off one time in front of our house but I drove them off. If I asked for help there I'm sure there are kind people that will have a soft heart for them, but I'm also sure there are more others that might reignite the poison campaign now they know the count, the location, and the time. I honestly don't know the people here and I don't know who to trust.

I tried looking up TNR campaigns in our area in New Cairo, Egypt. closest I got was only dogs shelter. I will keep looking in case I found a cats one, but I won't be there at that time so I will probably tell them on the group.

You have probably lost cats to attrition, but new ones..
I have seen some of the cats -that used to show up- somewhere else within the neighborhood, which made me think they have been probably fought off to leave the territory by some toms

Probably yes for few months, I still didn't calculate how much it will need to get settled. But I will figure it out in case I found that trusted person.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:alright: You are in a tough situation. Hopefully, you will find someone who can help. The dog rescuers may have some good suggestions about helping cats. Here in the US, some people respect dogs but cats are considered expendable, or, even worse, vermin. However, I have seen many dog rescues help cats & cat rescues help dogs. :salam: You are very wise to be cautious about revealing the cats especially as you won't be there to protect your crew.
Please keep us updated on how things are going! 🙏:vibes::vibes::vibes:

masteryouda99

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
:alright: You are in a tough situation. Hopefully, you will find someone who can help. The dog rescuers may have some good suggestions about helping cats. Here in the US, some people respect dogs but cats are considered expendable, or, even worse, vermin. However, I have seen many dog rescues help cats & cat rescues help dogs. :salam: You are very wise to be cautious about revealing the cats especially as you won't be there to protect your crew.
Please keep us updated on how things are going! 🙏:vibes::vibes::vibes:
Thank you for your time and reply.

As things stands, unfortunately I don't think I have any action to take. I hope something happens in the next couple of days but I know nothing will.

There was one only kitty of them that was domesticacted and spent hours on my lap on the streets purring when she was a kitten and loves petting a lot. I thought about adopting her in my new home to suddenly find out days ago she is pregnant (image attached) which complicated the idea so much, as I'd have barely be able to care for her only in the midst of the moving out thing. But with kittens incoming, I won't be able to care for all of them, nor with time or expenses, and probably a bad idea to move a cat that lived all her life on the street while her due is upcoming in days. I might come back for her after 4-6 months when the kittens are all grown up and be independent.

Other than that, I unfortunately can't do anything. And my only hope for them is just to survive and just forget I existed as soon as they can. I might do the feeding thing for the cats around my new home as a kind of compensation, but that won't change a thing for the cats here.

Attachments

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Can you sort of 'stalk' the area to see if you can get a sneak peek of the person who gives them water? If that person doesn't give them food, as you do, they probably know who you are - or, at least that you exist in the nearby area! Could you consider putting a general 'shout out' to cat lovers on your WhatsApp - just a general request (no details) to ask to connect with other cat lovers? WhatsApp offers private messaging - so that might be the way other cat lovers would reach out to you once they see your general message.

How far away are you moving? Is it possible to come back to the area to feed them, at least for a while until you might connect with the person who is giving them water?

What about older kids in the area that might be willing to help you out with feeding them? Kids are a lot more 'kind & loving' than grown ups. Yes, you would have to provide them with the food so they could continue on doing your work, but this would also give you more time to research other options. Maybe some of these kids even know who is giving them water already??

To take care of a pregnant (semi) feral cat - even if you were staying in the same location - would require bringing her inside. So, taking her to your new location wouldn't be much different as she would need to be an indoor-only cat throughout the time she cares for her young anyway. That would also give you time to search for other cat lovers (maybe also through private messaging on WhatsApp) that might be able to take and raise the kittens.

The thing is once you are gone, they will be searching for a new 'provider' which will increase their chances of being exposed to some of the 'not so nice' folks you referred to.

None of this is your true responsibility, but I know you care, and if you don't try some more options, I have no doubt it will really bother you once you are gone. So, please keep thinking about some other possibilities - and, maybe others here on this site will come up some as well.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Outdoor cats are remarkably resilient and resourceful. If you were only putting out food once a day, then I can almost guarantee that they are not relying solely on you for food. Given the chance, a cat would happily eat 6 to 10 meals a day. If you aren't putting those out, they are likely finding them elsewhere.

If the pregnant female is friendly, you might be able to find a rescue/foster who is willing to take her (and her eventual kittens) inside and get them all spay-neutered and adopted out. It's a much easier situation when the mother is socialized (as it sounds like she is) vs. a terrified feral who doesn't want to be inside.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't think the pregnant one is very close---probably a couple of weeks left. I think she'd like.it very much if you took her with you :). You could contact a rescue center to help you get the kittens rehomed. Some people are even willing to pay a bit for friendly, healthy, home-raised kittens.

masteryouda99

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello Kind people,

In a desperate attempt, I asked my stepmother if she knew any cat-lover ladies here, and little did I know, she did know some! one of her friends' daughter volunteered to do the job! just as FeebysOwner FeebysOwner said, kids are a lot more kind. I will send her the dry and only hope she can keep it up. BTW it turned out this kid was the mystery neighbor that put water for the kitties.

Thank you all for your suggestions and time to help. Although I will be leaving part of me behind, at least I know -hopefully- they will be ok.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello Kind people,

In a desperate attempt, I asked my stepmother if she knew any cat-lover ladies here, and little did I know, she did know some! one of her friends' daughter volunteered to do the job! just as FeebysOwner FeebysOwner said, kids are a lot more kind. I will send her the dry and only hope she can keep it up. BTW it turned out this kid was the mystery neighbor that put water for the kitties.

Thank you all for your suggestions and time to help. Although I will be leaving part of me behind, at least I know -hopefully- they will be ok.
I used to be in contact with a cat advocate in Cairo but unfortunately facebook changed my account so I can no longer access my friends. You can use your computer's (and social networks' if you are on any) search engine to input "cat rescues in Cairo, Egypt" and you may get some listings. In the middle of this worldwide pandemic, nothing is as normal and I know, it is hard for cats in Egypt even though, for Muslims anyway, there are the commands to treat the cat with respect and to protect them; and there are many hadiths about the treatment of cats. But you may be able to get some good information by doing the search. I am very, very glad you have a possible helpful person. According to some experts, truly feral (outdoor, unsocialized to humans) cats will subsist on their natural prey, mainly small rodents, as Egyptian history teaches! and they get their food and moisture from them. There are undoubtedly substantial populations of small rodents in Cairo as there are almost everywhere; so between natural prey and possible watering and feeding by the helper, they may survive, but if at all possible, they should all be spayed and neutered to stop more births and suffering. I will try to find my facebook friends list and see if I can find my friend there in Cairo's facebook contact info. Unfortunately, I am unable to find that list. But it was a long time ago and there is no telling her status now. She is a Cairo vet. I do not remember her name, unfortunately. *Prayers* for the cats, the helper, and for your new life in your new place. Thank you for caring.

Last edited:

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello Kind people,

Tell her to get a rescue group to get these kitties fixed asap. Do you have them there? As for the tame mom, she will easily adapt to being indoors. If you can’t take her in yourself please find someone who will, the kittens will then be socialized to people and will find homes. Otherwise they will just continue to breed and suffer outside with diseases etc.

Last edited: