I'm looking for a 'cat cake' recipe.

mommawolf

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yes. Yes... You read that right.

Tybalt will be turning a year old April 15th, and you know what? I've never celebrated my pets' birthdays. I want to be one of those people. I want to do this thing.

Tybalt is not a picky beast- per say. I had initially planned to feed him a diet of raw and partial cooked meats, but the one thing he couldn't stand for was eliminating dry food. I've never had a cat that just really wanted a bowl of dry food from time to time, and even asked for it. So, I had to cave and let him have it. The only problem is, he just preferred the food my mother bought (the brand escapes me now)- a grain free dry food she buys from the local ranch supply she works at. I even store it in an air tight repurposed sweet feed can, and oh does the can smell good. The food smells great by itself, but the mix of the odor of the organic sweet feed pellets just sings spring. I swear I scrubbed the can with vinegar and water, but I'm not complaining! Then, he gets pork, chicken, the rare venison, and the not totally rare but uncommon fish, when I can find low mercury fishes for a good price. We don't eat beef in my house, so I don't bother buying it specially for him. He even prefers a graininess of bone in his meats, which I'm thankful for, so I don't have to break out all the extra parts for my food processor. So since he likes bone, chicken, pork, fish, and venison, even ground boiled eggs, shell and all (though scrambled seems to be his favorite), what do you folks think I could come up with from that?

The only thing I'm missing is a flour equivalent for making it 'cakey'.

The dry food he eats, I believe says potato flour is included, but that'd have to be something to ask my mother again. It's cheaper for her to buy a big bag and me to just fill my can at her house from her storage. (A couple of decades ago, we had a disturbing surprise to find a bag of cat food had mold in it so we've taken compulsive levels of sanitation with animal feed.) I've never baked with bone meal and I'm not even sure it can be used like a flour, but the thought crossed my mind.

I'm open to suggestions and experiments, but mainly I'm looking for something that can be people edible too (yes, he eats fully cooked meat). I have inflammatory bowel disease so I'm used to eating what most people call 'bland' foods, so the flavor isn't my concern! I'm just looking for a people and cat safe 'meat cake' that he'll love, but if not, I don't mind making his special!

Now commence with the laughing! I'm proud to be a crazy cat lady! [emoji]128568[/emoji]

molly92

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have no idea how to make a cat cake. I did come across this recipe for cat ice cream a few weeks ago (and thought it was ridiculous and also probably something I'd try to do at some point), in case that's something you'd be interested in. I really doubt it's that palatable to people, though.

I hope Tybalt enjoys his birthday!

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Most people take a can of pate cat food and give that as a "cake", candle optional.

If you Google search for "edible cat birthday cake" you'll get a few possibilties. I'm not sure if the cakes would be edible to a person, though. Why not just give your cat a special treat? And don't forget to treat yourself, too

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mommawolf

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh wow, nice. I love the mashed potato icing! Clever! I also never thought of sweet potatoes, but I know my boy loves pumpkin. The rice flour sounds like a good idea. I may have to experiment with it! Thank you!

louann jude

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Oh wow, nice. I love the mashed potato icing! Clever! I also never thought of sweet potatoes, but I know my boy loves pumpkin. The rice flour sounds like a good idea. I may have to experiment with it! Thank you!
You are welcome. I bet you could substitute pumpkin instead of potatoes. And do mashed sweet potatoes for frosting.