I’m having trouble finding toys for my cat with pica

RavenMistwolf

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat who turned 1 on August 6 has pica. I noticed this pretty early. She liked to chew on my dirty clothes and blankets to the point of eating holes in them. When I bought a new laundry hamper so she couldn’t access my clothes, she moved onto pretty much everything else. She eats any toy that’s not solid (like plastic or silicone), blankets, pillows, shoes, socks, plastic bags, paper bags, stuffed animals, my rubber/silicone keyboard cover, etc. Basically anything and everything she can chew on, she will eat. I do my best to keep anything she might eat out of reach, but she seems to always find something else. She’s also pretty much completely uninterested in most toys that aren’t soft and stuffed. But she needs something to play with! I would welcome any and all ideas!

Before anyone worries or comments about the health dangers of pica, I’m well aware. Luckily she throws up 99% of what she eats and the rest passes through (which I visually confirm). Her weight has been steady and her behavior otherwise is perfectly normal. I know what to look for with blockages and malnutrition and keep a close eye out for that.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
You might have better luck looking for toys for small dogs. In general, they are designed to hold up to consistent chewing better than cat toys. I've seen several with little jingle bells inside of them.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

RavenMistwolf

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You might have better luck looking for toys for small dogs. In general, they are designed to hold up to consistent chewing better than cat toys.
Thanks for the suggestion. I actually have gotten a few dog/puppy toys for her for exactly that reason. She still eats then, it just takes longer because they’re bigger. 😕

game misconduct

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
plus one on what Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953 postedi use a dog toy ball called chuckit graycie likes to chew also and pretty much destroys every cat toy i buy her. i got the small sized ball she chews it and carries it around like a dog :lol:its the perfect size i think a lil bigger than a raquet ball smaller than a tennis ball(those didnt last either with her)

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Casper doesn't have pica but he does pull the fur off his stuffed toys and, presumably swallows it.

Of course, when we get him a new toy to replace the old, guess which one he'd rather have?

Caspers Mouse.jpg

Even as much fur as Casper seems to swallow, it hasn't hurt him any. I presume the fibers just pass right through his system.

If your cat is chewing up her toys this much, I wouldn't worry. Even if she's chewing off little, tiny bits and threads I would be concerned and watch out but, if the bits passed through, I'd keep an eye out but wouldn't worry.

If she's really chewing them up and swallowing pieces of fabric, yes, I would stop her.