I'm having allergic reactions to new cat

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wasn't sure if this was the right forum for this. I've never been officially diagnosed with allergies of any kind but I seem to be having allergic reactions to my new kitten. It's not a huge deal, I'm definitely not going to rehome her over this, but has anyone experienced this before? I've had allergy issues when I'm around a lot of new animals and usually it goes away after more exposure. With Flora though, I'm still having reactions 3 weeks later. Is it possible kittens are more allergy-inducing and she'll grow out of it? I've just had to make sure I don't rub my eyes after holding her and my worst reaction was the day I got her, so maybe it's just taking more time.

bella.cat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi!
I'm not sure...have you tried taking some anti-allergen tablets or creams?
I've never had this but I know people who have a constant allergy, eg they know they have an allergy for all cats, and it never goes away or strengthens.
Maybe if it doesn't go away you could go to a doctor?
This is just what I would do so maybe this may not work for you. 🙂
Here is a link that may help.

Neko-chan's mama

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have an eye allergy to my cat. Luckily, my eye doctor prescribed drops for me. I seem to have built up a resistance though. I only have to use them now when she sleeps on my head.

ladytimedramon

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
When it comes to dogs, I have allergies to certain breeds and fur types. Maybe it's something similar? I can be around pugs and beagles no problem, but pekes and sheepdog will make my eyes and nose water. So when I adopted my cat I avoided long fur.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I am allergic to cats and dogs and have lived with both animals. I've noticed some cats don't bother me as much but have shown more symptoms to others. Usually I've had the more common symptoms, e.g. itchy/watery eyes, nasal congestion, etc. but I experienced a skin rash on my torso with one cat. :dunno: It's not the fur that's the problem but rather proteins in the cat's saliva, urine or dander. I thought this Article might have some helpful information for you: Living With Cat Allergy

So in answer to your question, I think it is possible to have a different reaction to some cats than others.

Purr-fect

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would try medication for now and then try to wean off it.

I was allergic to cats and didnt know if I could even keep greg and arnold when we adopted them. They are very big and have long fur. Although I still get seasonal allergies, the cats no longer bother me. It seems I have built a tolerance to them....... (and they seem to "tolerate" me).

Hows this for causing allergies!

Attachments

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have heard the of people being allergic to one cat but not another.

DH said he was allergic to cats when we adopted Mooch and Noodles. 15 years later he just had allergy testing and it said he is not. Dogs were positive and my parents had both till a few years ago and he had both at some point in his childhood too. The wife of the neurologist I worked for said he had developed tolerance for their cats but other people’s still bothered him.

We always kept the girls out of our bedroom when they were young. Mooch can’t jump now so it’s not a big issue and she comes in here during the day. DH was taking claritin and has also used zyrtec but he’s finding better control with Flonase Sensimist. That was at the allergist’s recommendation.

Other than that; cleaning helps. Like covering the backs of the couch so they can be easily washed and vacuuming it also. Mooch and Noodles were never big shedders; so it wasn’t fur that had me vacuuming. We tried regular bathing when the girls were young too. That helped a friend of mine. I don’t really remember DH doing a lot of sneezing with the girls but he has said that since my moms dog passed a few years ago he has a lot less trouble at her house. He doesn’t seem to react to MIL or SIL’s dogs. They are small and bathed more regularly. They could be carrying pollens and things in that he reacted to too.

Hopefully you will adjust to the kitten soon and not have to pursue any regular treatment.

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am not allergic to animals but Casper's Girl-Human is.

She's very allergic to horses. So much that she can't even walk near a horse barn. If she actually rode a horse, her legs and backside would break out even if she was wearing heavy pants.
She's moderately allergic to dogs and somewhat less allergic to cats but it's not bad enough that she can't be around them. Mostly it's just red eyes and sniffles.

She can take a Benadryl to help with her allergies but, mainly, we just try to keep the house clean and open the windows to air the place out as much as possible.

Like others say, it is possible to be allergic to some dogs or cats but not others. I have read that some people can be allergic to strange cats or dogs but not THEIR OWN. This seems to be the case with Casper. His Girl-Human doesn't seem to be allergic to him, except for occasional flare-ups, but when we visit other people who have pets, she does get a runny nose.

We always take a stash of Benadryl with us when we go visiting, just in case.

BTW: The generic name for Benadryl is diphenhydramine which is also the active ingredient in Dramamine, the motion sickness remedy. The only difference is that there is an extra ingredient in Dramamine to prevent drowsiness after you take it.
So, if you are in a pinch, you can substitute Dramamine for Benadryl, provided that it is okay for you to take either of these medicines. (Some people can't take these meds because they are allergic or for other reasons.)

For us, having Casper is more worthwhile than worrying about a minor allergy.

If you like having your kitty around and you don't mind a few sniffles, I wouldn't worry.
You can take Benadryl or something similar if you are able to take these meds.
It's also pretty likely that, after a wile, you will get used to it.

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
I have eye and nose congestions probs from Cal but I noticed since cutting her a hair I have no reaction

Part Calico-Part Maine Coon

Neko-chan's mama

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My mom has a minor cat allergy. When she visited a friend who had cats, they'd wash the furniture covers, vacuum, and use those baby wipes made for cats to clean them. It helped alot.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I really think you will build up a tolerance, maybe in a few months. In the meantime take Benadryl like suggested, maybe at night so it won't make you sleepy during the day, a nasal spray during the day, and use cat wipes in between. After repeated exposures, most times the allergy symptoms will lessen. You might consider an allergy injection from your Dr. They last much longer and are stronger. Sometimes it is not developing allergic reactions to an allergen out of the blue, but us developing allergies as we get a little older and our immune system weakens.

Krienze

Officially a cat lady now. No regrets.
Super Cat
Purraise
Just to throw this out there, we've always had 3 or more cats. My aunt and her daughter are extremely allergic. I'm talking ugly eye tears, red face, etc. They are VERY sensitive. We found this allergenic filter for our AC unit and decided to try it. They didn't have a SINGLE symptom when they were here and they stayed with us for about 2 weeks almost.

Granted, we kept the cats secluded to another part of the house, but previously didn't matter where they were, my aunt and cousin would have symptoms.

You could try checking out the filters maybe! It might help! If it doesn't, I'm sorry >.< I hope you figure something out that does!

Are you sure it's the kitten though? Is it possible she was bathed in something maybe you're allergic to? D: