I'm getting two foster cats from the Kalamazoo shooting

crazy4strays

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not sure if y'all saw this in your news, but recently a man went on a shooting spree in Kalamazoo, Michigan. He murdered 6 people and injured a 7th before being taken into police custody.

I was contacted and informed that one of the victims left behind two loving indoor cats. I'm foster free right now and my rescue gave me the go ahead to accept these two. I'll be fostering them in my home.

I want to cry, thinking about the tragedy. It's sick and sad that people don't consider the far reaching impact of their actions before committing horrific crimes.

But, on the other hand, I'm glad that I can foster these two cats. They shouldn't be condemned to die just because an idiot shot their owner.

Last edited:

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise
OMG.  I did read about that.  What a horrible, horrible thing.  Whenever I read about these kinds of events (which is far too often 
) I wonder about everyone, including pets, left behind.  Thank heavens you can take them in.  Poor kitties.  Their little world just got turned upside down.

I'm really glad to know that a rescue group was contacted.  I always worry that the police will just contact animal control who will take pets to the nearest shelter.  

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
Bless you for taking these 2 babies into your home. I am sure their owner is now resting comfortably knowing that you have them....

Such a tragedy....so senseless....

Thank you...

kittens mom

Kittens life was lost to a negligent veterinarian.
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not sure if y'all saw this in your news, but recently a man went on a shooting spree in Kalamazoo, Michigan. He murdered 6 people and injured a 7th before being taken into police custody.

I was contacted and informed that one of the victims left behind two loving indoor cats. I'm foster free right now and my rescue gave me the go ahead to accept these two. I'll be fostering them in my home.

I want to cry, thinking about the tragedy. It's sick and sad that people don't consider the far reaching impact of their actions before committing horrific crimes.

But, on the other hand, I'm glad that I can foster these two cats. They shouldn't be condemned to die just because an idiot shot their owner.
Thank you for taking them in.

Until there is a real shift to treating mental illness in this country expect more of the same.

bobkater

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A commendable action on your part you can be proud of, and I'm sure you'll be rewarded by feeling happy whenever you see them. Let's have a pic or two.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

crazy4strays

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm very happy to report that the son of the woman slain in the shooting, put both cats in carriers and put them on a plane with him to take them to his home in California. So the kitties will stay within the family and they didn't need to come to our rescue after all. I'm very happy for him and hope that raising his mom's cats will bring him comfort in this horrific tragedy. 

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise

I'm very happy to report that the son of the woman slain in the shooting, put both cats in carriers and put them on a plane with him to take them to his home in California. So the kitties will stay within the family and they didn't need to come to our rescue after all. I'm very happy for him and hope that raising his mom's cats will bring him comfort in this horrific tragedy. 
That's wonderful news.  As much as there can be any news considered "wonderful" under the circumstances.  I'm glad they will stay in the family.   [emoji]128150[/emoji]

Last edited:

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise

That's wonderful news.  As much as there can be any new considered "wonderful" under the circumstances.  I'm glad they will stay in the family.   [emoji]128150[/emoji]
That is good news.  

misterwhiskers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What a bittersweet story. I'm so glad her son took them in--yea, seeing them might be such a reminder, yet how wonderful that these two living beings who she shared so many happy moments with will now be able to share their lives with her son. It would put her heart at such ease I am sure.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you for taking them in.
Until there is a real shift to treating mental illness in this country expect more of the same.
Not to hijack, but it's important to point out. . .

Mentally ill people do not commit more acts of violence than non-mentally ill people. Some studies suggest they're even less likely to commit acts of violence, and far more likely to be victims of violence. Anger and lack of self control are what cause violent acts, not mental illness. I agree that mental health care in the US is absolutely inadequate and horrible, but that does not cause violent acts.

Plus, that guy didn't have any mental health problems anyway: http://www.cnn.com/2016/02/23/us/kalamazoo-michigan-shootings/

I'm glad the kitties got to stay with family. That's usually best.

Last edited: