I’m freaking out...cat had FHO surgery

kpc1024

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My 2 yr old broke his hip and got surgery on Monday. He is in pain, I just started bupronex after finishing the 3 day nsaid. He seems to be in pain. He meows when he moves, hisses and wacks his tail around. I dont know if this os par for the course or I should be freacking out. The vet didnt seem concerned, but Im the one watching him feel terrible. Is this normal after surgery?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I don't have direct experience with this, but I am wondering if you are restricting his activity/movements enough? I believe he should be confined enough to keep him from trying to move about too much, for probably the first week, as it will likely just exacerbate the pain initially. Also, I have heard that moist heat can help with improving his comfort level and decreasing stiffness. I would also press the issue with your vet about ensuring he is getting enough pain meds to make him more comfortable - as far as I know this surgery/initial recovery is pretty painful. How is he eating/drinking? If not well, that would be a good argument to the vet for increasing his pain meds.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kpc1024

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the reply. He is eating and drinking, not a tone. He uses the litterbox and is wearing a cone. He has is pretty inactive and will walk a few steps and then lay down. He is taking a new pain med now but is still in pain 😥
Hi. I don't have direct experience with this, but I am wondering if you are restricting his activity/movements enough? I believe he should be confined enough to keep him from trying to move about too much, for probably the first week, as it will likely just exacerbate the pain initially. Also, I have heard that moist heat can help with improving his comfort level and decreasing stiffness. I would also press the issue with your vet about ensuring he is getting enough pain meds to make him more comfortable - as far as I know this surgery/initial recovery is pretty painful. How is he eating/drinking? If not well, that would be a good argument to the vet for increasing his pain meds.

RangersMom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Sorry about your kitty. Since it just recently happened, this is a normal response for the cat. Please give him the pain medicine if you can. Also, get him a SOFT cone collar, not those hard plastic ones. Also if he only broke his hip, I'm not sure why he would need a cone? Those cones are awful and usually just make the cat thrash around and stress more.
I had a cat get hit by a car recently and she broke her pelvis. She is on strict kennel rest for 6-8 weeks, meaning shes in a dog kennel and cant run or jump, not that she wants to. She also didnt eat or drink much at first. Try putting some wet food into his mouth with a small spoon, and he will naturally eat a bit of it. Also if you have a large syringe you can squirt some water into his mouth a few times a day. Try not to stress him too much. The main thing is rest. Our kitty stopped yowling and hissing after about a 6 days.

RangersMom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Also put a heating pad in the kennel with him, on low or medium and covered with a towel or blanket. The heat will make him feel better and might alleviate *some* pain.

kpc1024

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Sorry about your kitty. Since it just recently happened, this is a normal response for the cat. Please give him the pain medicine if you can. Also, get him a SOFT cone collar, not those hard plastic ones. Also if he only broke his hip, I'm not sure why he would need a cone? Those cones are awful and usually just make the cat thrash around and stress more.
I had a cat get hit by a car recently and she broke her pelvis. She is on strict kennel rest for 6-8 weeks, meaning shes in a dog kennel and cant run or jump, not that she wants to. She also didnt eat or drink much at first. Try putting some wet food into his mouth with a small spoon, and he will naturally eat a bit of it. Also if you have a large syringe you can squirt some water into his mouth a few times a day. Try not to stress him too much. The main thing is rest. Our kitty stopped yowling and hissing after about a 6 days.
Thanks, we got more powerful pain meds and omg, the difference is amazingb

kpc1024

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Also put a heating pad in the kennel with him, on low or medium and covered with a towel or blanket. The heat will make him feel better and might alleviate *some* pain.
Thanks!