I'm curious if my cat's fur and coat will still get longer and thicker.

Mirah

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a 4 months old kitten, his mother is a ragdoll but not sure if the male ragdoll is the father since there are other cat breeds at my mom's place ( they say my kitten is a ragdoll) . He was fluffy and the coat on his face were thick and long when he was a month old. I'm wondering if he will. Still develop a longer and thicker coat. It is summer here in the Philippines, so I'm considering that as one of the reasons why his coat isn't thick now and his color got lighter. Will he still grow a longer coat when he turned into an adult cat?
IMG_20210516_193145.jpg
IMG_20210418_232043.JPG
IMG_20210312_212355.jpg
IMG_20210418_231938.JPG
IMG_20210520_221000.JPG
IMG_20210520_220900.JPG

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, it most definitely will get thicker. Kittens go through sort of molting stage where their baby fur switches over to adult fur and they can look very scraggly for a bit. What I am not sure from the pictures is whether in the end she will be a long hair or a short hair. I am guessing short hair but with those long ear tufts I could be wrong. It will be interesting what others have to say.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mirah

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes, it most definitely will get thicker. Kittens go through sort of molting stage where their baby fur switches over to adult fur and they can look very scraggly for a bit. What I am not sure from the pictures is whether in the end she will be a long hair or a short hair. I am guessing short hair but with those long ear tufts I could be wrong. It will be interesting what others have to say.
Thank you so much :) The first picture was his recent pic as well as the last 2 pictures. The hair on the upper part of his eyes near his ears were shedding when I got him. And his whiskers started falling off when he was 11 weeks. ( they say it's because he pkays too much with the other kitten. Too aggressive.) not sure, though if that's true. 😊😊

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Sorry for calling he a ”she”. He does look like a short hair to me in that first picture. Also since he is a pointed cat his fur will darken considerably as he grows older.

Mirah

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Sorry for calling he a ”she”. He does look like a short hair to me in that first picture. Also since he is a pointed cat his fur will darken considerably as he grows older.
It's okay 😊😊 Thank you so much. It really helps. I keep researching about his breed and I found this site. Thank you 🧡

cataholic07

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would say longhair those ear tufts dont lie and that poofy tail to. At 4 months old most longhairs look short hair. This my boy Jethro at 4 months old and him now at 2. My boys have really poofed out, usually by 3 years old they have their full length fur.
20190221_114919.jpg
20210423_180956-02.jpeg

Mirah

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Wow! Thank you. I've been googling about his coat. I thought it wouldn't grow longer anymore because we don't have winter season here in the Philippines. And I found out that their coat is not that fluffy in a hot weather. Thank you so much! 😊😊

Mirah

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Beautiful cat!
Thank you! 😊😊 Do you think he is a ragdoll? The parents are purebred but not sure if the father is the ragdoll since my mom has other cat breeds in the house as well ( persian and scottishfold).