I'm Back, after long absence...

samhainborn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Alright, so I suppose it's time for an update.

I've been gone for quite some time now. I think most of you know that my husband left me in August last year, and I've been having to do a lot of couch hopping to try to get by. I finally got a job transfer, so I'm back In TN now. I'm working a few more hours and able to live a little better now. I at least have my own room and I am allowed to have pets!

So I have Prissy, Smudge, and a new addition, Gwynn. I also have a dog now! Her name is Simi and she's half Beagle, and half Border Collie, and all spoiled.

Cuddles is living with my mom and my special needs brother. Apparently, Cuddles loves Jamie, and it's rare that ANY animal tolerates him, much less shows him affection. But Cuddles climbs right up in his lap and purrs and begs for attention, so I had to let Jamie keep him. Now Jamie has a best friend, and they spend quite a bit of time together cuddling and sharing love.

Gwynn is a rescue from the Wal-mart parking lot where I used to work. She is a really sweet, sweet orange tabby kitty and she gets along with everyone. Only problem? Even though she was only about 8 weeks old when I rescued her, she hasn't taken to the litter box. Instead, she prefers to use the tub. I know others have had this problem before, so I was hoping for some insight on how to fix this?

Gwynn may also be going to Oklahoma as soon as she's fixed. She was never intended as a permanent, just a rescue to rehome. And I have family out in Oklahoma looking for a mouser. If I can only solve this bathroom issue...

So yes, new home, new job, new chance at life. I'm getting by and things are slowly improving. If anyone wants my new address, just let me know.

Hugs to all and I'm glad to be back.

-_aj_-

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hey, Its so nice to see you back and see your doing so well!!

I hope you can get Gwynn to start using a litter tray

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Welcome back. Congratulations on your new addition. And prayers for your family in OK. I hope everyone is safe and sound.

darkmavis

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hey!
I'm so happy to hear from you! I, along with others here, have been thinking of you and wondering how you're holding up. It sounds like you're definitely on the upswing now, so that's great news!!

Best of luck with Gwynn, I don't have any advice excpet maybe try that Cat Attract litter in the litterbox? Or close the bathroom door so the tub isn't an option? (And hope she doesn't find another non-litterbox spot).

Anyway it's great to hear from you.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh it's SO NICE to hear from you! YAY on the good news!
And thank you for sharing about Cuddles and your brother - how really sweet.

As to the litter box... you've had a urine culture done just to make sure she doesn't have an infection?

I'd definitely try the Kitten Attract litter for her. Also, sop up some pee from the tub and put the pee-soaked paper towel in the litter box. Whenever you see her using the box, praise the heck out of her.

Welcome back, and hope things continue to go EVEN BETTER!

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good to see you and to hear things are going better! Congrats on the new additions too! I'm sure Cuddles is in good hands with your mom and brother, sounds like they have a real bond going there.

One thing you may try with the bathtub thing is plug the tub and put an inch of water in it. That should keep Gwynn out of it (if she's a normal cat lol). I worked with mine. You may want to move a litter box closer to the tub if it's not already there so she has a place to go if she's used to going there.

Good luck, and we're glad to have you back!

coolcat

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hola y bienvenido nuevamente a TCS, ...Catulina
Milky
te saludan!!!

(Translate: Hi and Welcome BACK to TCS, Catulina, Milky say hello to you!!!...
)

I hope you find not only old members, but also new good members here, Please feel again as your home and ask whatever you need to know, there are plenty of good members and of course our tireless Mod´s to help us here!....

See you on the forums!, Glad that you re-join us!

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by SamhainBorn

So yes, new home, new job, new chance at life. I'm getting by and things are slowly improving. If anyone wants my new address, just let me know.

Hugs to all and I'm glad to be back.
Glad to see you back and posting again

I'll need the new addy when it comes to card time in the fall/winter

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

samhainborn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Oh dear, I've tried most of these things already!

Tub doesn't hold water more than 15 minutes, even if I fill it halfway up. Darn it.

Attract litter she sniffs, and almost shrugs. Even with the boxes the others use, she sniffs and goes there sometimes but not consistently. Even tried to buy her a brand new litter box all her own and locked her in the bathroom with it. Still used the tub.

Five different types of boxes here as well. And we've changed their locations, too.

Locking her OUT of the bathroom -- well you guessed it. She chose the tile floor in the kitchen. SO I tried an empty litter box wondering if she just wanted a smooth surface to go on. No dice.

Haven't gotten her to a vet again yet since I took her in. But she's going next week to get fixed -- which reminds me!

Anyone think that this could be because she's not fixed? She's not even quite four months yet, but she's going into her first heat already! Maybe the hormones are bothering her?

Thank you as always for the wonderful suggestions.

And everyone in OK is OK. Lol. I've been in touch with all of them, and their biggest complaint is the smell of the shelters and the crazies they have to share it with during the storm warnings.

northernglow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Glad to see you back.

Originally Posted by SamhainBorn

Anyone think that this could be because she's not fixed? She's not even quite four months yet, but she's going into her first heat already! Maybe the hormones are bothering her?
My queen tends to use 2 specific places outside the litter box where she does her things (1&2) when she's in heat, so it could be that. But an UTI is probably more likely the reason.

momto3boys

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Welcome back, I didn't know you from before but hopefully I get to know you now

It sure sounds like you've been through alot, I'm so glad things are looking up for you now

lotso'cats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It could also be a food allergy. One of mine was allergic to the Costo cat food and would not use the litterbox. It took a while for it to get out of her system.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

samhainborn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
They're getting wellness and blue buffalo foods now so I don't think it's an allergy, or at least not one of the typical low-grade food related ones.

Hmmm. she's supposed to be going soon, but honestly, my last paycheck was only $97 because I moved and had to take off a week of work for that, so we can't afford the vet this week. I'm going to see if I can work something out with roommates or with a vet, but I doubt it.

Oh and good news!!!

As of 15 minutes ago I am no longer single! I have a boyfriend! And I am ecstatic! Nervous, uncertain, and cautious, but very very happy!