Im at a loss of what to do!!

ramgren89

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone! im the Meowmy of Tinkerbelle (3) and Jax (5months). And i am at a complete loss of what to do here! Tinkerbelle and Jax are such polar opposites!  Tinkerbelle is calm, cuddily, and very neat (as in doesnt make a mess i think she is OCD for a cat anyways lol) and Jax is a hellion! he runs around the house like a pack of hell hounds are chasing him, is an absolute nut, a complete trouble maker. But we can handle all of that, what we cant figure out is WHY my little furbaby constantly knocks his food and water dish over! like a minute after we put water in, he dunks his paws and then flips the water dish over, when we fill his food bowl he just tips it over and eats his food off the floor. how can we correct this behavior? my husband suggested buying large weighted dog bowls and have them share but id like to know if anyone else has or had this problem with their cats/kittens.

yayi

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Your husband's suggestion is good. 

By the way, Jax is a precious, overactive little guy. 
 He will settle down as he grows older. 

goholistic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As for the water...

My one cat Caesar does this. I got lazy one time and didn't feel like cleaning the water fountain, so I put a stainless steel bowl next to it with fresh water in it until I could clean the fountain the next day. Caesar kept pawing at the water and tipping the bowl just enough that all the water would come out. He doesn't do this with the fountain. That's because he likes moving water. A lot of cats like the water to move, so it's possible that your cat wants to see the water move and in turn knocks the bowl over. You could try the weighted bowls, but if he wants the water to move, he will continue to dip his paws in it. Or, you could try a water fountain. This may help his paw-dipping issue, and water fountains are usually large and heavy enough that he couldn't possibly knock it over.

As for the food...

Cats don't like deep bowls. They don't like having to stick their face into a deep bowl and their whiskers touch the side. You could try a larger, shallow bowl (only 1/2-1 inch high max) and see if that helps. The same concept would apply to a water bowl, too, if there was only a little bit of water in a deep bowl.

Good luck!