I'm a "second" home for this cat

guestuser

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey there,

Quick backstory -

A month or so ago I opened my backdoor and this cat just walked in and hasn't left since. At first I thought he was abandoned so I let him stay for a bit - fed him, played with him and patted him, as I work from home I spent the day with him, eventually after a bit I was able to get him down to the vet to find out if he has an owner (which he does) - but it's gotten to the point where if I even let him outside at night, he'll cry and cry and cry and cry until he's back in.

As cruel as it sounds, I've flicked water at him (a lot of times), he runs off but comes back, I have no way of contacting the owner directly but they are at least party aware of the current situation - I am leaving this place in 7 days time and am trying to get this cat to stop with his behavior of coming here

It's ashame , he's very loving and affectionate - he's almost like a baby! He likes it when I hold him over my shoulder and he just kneads and rubs his face all over me - he has made me happy (and a bit of a cat person I was impartial to them before) - but he has to go back to his original home now. I feel slack

What can I do to speed up the process? I've stopped feeding him, he cries for a feed (really....annoyingly - I threw out the cat food so I wouldn't give in), I'm going to call the vet tomorrow and see if it's possible to ask the current owner to keep the cat inside - as my fear is that once I leave here, the neighbors/new tenants will call the Pound on him (seeming as he's micro chipped I guess it's not as big a deal so he can be found easier) - my

question is - what can I do to at least get him used to the idea I will no longer be here anymore?

... I just wish I could take him away :(

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

guestuser

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
As I can't seem to edit my post - I would like to also clarify that the vet gave me word the cat does indeed return to its home sporadically

loribeth

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
hmmm ...I have no idea how to discourage him but maybe if you speak to his official 'owner' , they might let you have him?  best of luck

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
The vet knows who the owners are? If they are unwilling to share the owners information- I would explain the situation to the vet and ask them to relay the message.

guestuser

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Wish me luck going to try contact the vet - He's outside right now and I don't know whether to let him in or not :(

He can sense there's something going on - last night he whined outside for ages, and he had to be in my bed and had to be facing me, if I rolled over he'd get upset and jump over me just to face me... I think he really likes me?

guestuser

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
All they could do as they weren't allowed to give me the number - they took mine and they said they were gonna harass them

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
Not sure what they mean by 'harass' them as vets are unlikely to do that.  But the fact that he's out so much and at night indicates to me that they're not that concerned about him.  I'm really, really hoping he can live with you.  It looks to me like you've been chosen.

guestuser

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

Not sure what they mean by 'harass' them as vets are unlikely to do that.  But the fact that he's out so much and at night indicates to me that they're not that concerned about him.  I'm really, really hoping he can live with you.  It looks to me like you've been chosen.
Sorry I come from Australia - we use words in weird ways - I mean they are just going to keep calling them until they get in contact; it looks like it's worked so far - It seems to me they are keeping the cat indoors (Otherwise the little critter would be here by now - but I may of spoken too early its only 745pm here I'll give it a few more hours)

I would very much love to live with him - the only unfortunate issue is because I am moving out to a place that is not pet-friendly at all, I would have to turn him into a complete in-door cat (which after reading the forums for opinions on that seems to be preferred) - but it would risk my lease as its currently only for 6 months. Though I do have a feeling the owners do care for him, but possibly have been working a lot of hours or something along those lines

I'm hoping this has solved itself out, it's been very stressful! I can't believe that little **** made me fall in love!

maxsmum

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
His "owners" obivously dont care about him to much and it looks like he has claimed you for his human. if it was me i would take him with me

mani

Staff Member
Purraise

Sorry I come from Australia - we use words in weird ways - I mean they are just going to keep calling them until they get in contact; it looks like it's worked so far - It seems to me they are keeping the cat indoors (Otherwise the little critter would be here by now - but I may of spoken too early its only 745pm here I'll give it a few more hours)

I would very much love to live with him - the only unfortunate issue is because I am moving out to a place that is not pet-friendly at all, I would have to turn him into a complete in-door cat (which after reading the forums for opinions on that seems to be preferred) - but it would risk my lease as its currently only for 6 months. Though I do have a feeling the owners do care for him, but possibly have been working a lot of hours or something along those lines

I'm hoping this has solved itself out, it's been very stressful! I can't believe that little **** made me fall in love!
      My cats are indoor only and very happy... it works especially well if they have always been indoor.  Maybe your little friend's owners will do the right thing and keep him in.  And if they do that, you could consider the possibility of taking on a rescue kitten, now you've found you're actually in to cats..

BTW, I'm in Australia too..

guestuser

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ohh so had some more confirmation, the owner does care for the cat but lets him do what he wants - he's a bit of a street ***** apparently, he has 5-6 other homes before I came along (as he's been at mine 90% every day), so the vet told me that give him a bit before he realizes I'm not around and he'll go to the other homes. I guess that works out ?

I'll definitely consider adopting a cat when I go to another pet friendly place, they're little bundles of (surprising) joy

mani

Staff Member
Purraise
Ah well... I wish they wouldn't let him roam, but what can you do...

At least you've found us, and can come and chat about potential or real cats in the future..