I’m A Mess!!

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She just ate a full meal!!! :bliss:

Maybe her mama is just too quick to freak out.
You're in good company ;)
I've had teeth pulled, and it usually hurts the worst for me on the 2nd and third day. It's like getting a minor injury or a bad bruise, it doesn't usually hurt that bad that day but a day or two after the inflammation kicks in (even with medications) and you just feel like poo.
She's one gorgeous cat though. Is she a purebred?
For awhile we were putting our cats medicine in his food, but he caught onto it and started avoiding food so we started putting it down him and leaving his food untampered.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the tip @PushPurrCatPaws, I will definitely ask when I go pick up the extra tablets.

Question: did anyone else’s vet tell them to rinse their cat’s teeth twice a day with water to keep the gums clean? I can’t for the life of me get my cat to stay still to spray water on her gums. Is this really necessary? I think the point is to keep the gums clean to avoid infection as they are healing, but I don’t want to annoy my cat non stop if this isn’t necessary.
Never heard that one before. I'd probably skip it unless they have a really good reason for recommending it.
If you want to try, you could forget the spray method and maybe just use a damp cloth to wipe the area as best you can. Even a damp Q-tip might work. Not a lot of cats like the sound or sensation of a spray bottle, it sounds like a hiss you know ;)

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Never did the rinse with Krista. Since I’ve had the transdermal bupe, I’ve been more liberal giving it to her. I’d rather her stoned and not needing it than in pain and not having it. Every cat is different though. And you need to figure out what’s best for yours. Stay on top of the antibiotics. Don’t skip doses there.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
For what it is worth _after_ her mouth heals they sell toothpaste and mouthwash that is safe for cats/dogs to eat and is enzyme cleaning. I saw some toothpaste on Chewy I’m going to try. I would use a syringe/towel to clean her mouth but first I would ask if is necessary.

I’m glad she is eating and sleeping. I hope she has a speedy recovery. (Yes she is cute.... even all spaced out.)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Azazel

Time spent with cats is never wasted.
Top Cat
Purraise
You're in good company ;)
I've had teeth pulled, and it usually hurts the worst for me on the 2nd and third day. It's like getting a minor injury or a bad bruise, it doesn't usually hurt that bad that day but a day or two after the inflammation kicks in (even with medications) and you just feel like poo.
She's one gorgeous cat though. Is she a purebred?
For awhile we were putting our cats medicine in his food, but he caught onto it and started avoiding food so we started putting it down him and leaving his food untampered.
Thanks, she’s not purebred as far as we know. We adopted her from a lady who rescues cats and was told that she’s Siamese but we don’t have papers.

I’m deciding whether to try mixing it in her food again or using a syringe. She’s eating really well now that the pain meds are starting to wear off so we’ll see.

Never heard that one before. I'd probably skip it unless they have a really good reason for recommending it.
If you want to try, you could forget the spray method and maybe just use a damp cloth to wipe the area as best you can. Even a damp Q-tip might work. Not a lot of cats like the sound or sensation of a spray bottle, it sounds like a hiss you know ;)
Yeah I think I’ll try the wiping method in a couple of days once her gums have healed a little. Good thinking.

Never did the rinse with Krista. Since I’ve had the transdermal bupe, I’ve been more liberal giving it to her. I’d rather her stoned and not needing it than in pain and not having it. Every cat is different though. And you need to figure out what’s best for yours. Stay on top of the antibiotics. Don’t skip doses there.
For sure I will give the antibiotics as scheduled, so long as I can figure out a way for her to take it!

The vet did say to only give the Buprenex if she seems to be in pain. They said it’s an extremely strong opioid that acts very quickly so there’s no need to give it to her in advance if I’m not sure if she’s in pain. Better to wait to see if she needs it cause you can always give more but you can’t take any away.

For what it is worth _after_ her mouth heals they sell toothpaste and mouthwash that is safe for cats/dogs to eat and is enzyme cleaning. I saw some toothpaste on Chewy I’m going to try. I would use a syringe/towel to clean her mouth but first I would ask if is necessary.

I’m glad she is eating and sleeping. I hope she has a speedy recovery. (Yes she is cute.... even all spaced out.)
Thank you!

Are you thinking of the CET toothpaste? For sure I’ll get her on a routine cleaning schedule once she’s feeling like herself again.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks, she’s not purebred as far as we know. We adopted her from a lady who rescues cats and was told that she’s Siamese but we don’t have papers.

I’m deciding whether to try mixing it in her food again or using a syringe. She’s eating really well now that the pain meds are starting to wear off so we’ll see.

Yeah I think I’ll try the wiping method in a couple of days once her gums have healed a little. Good thinking.

For sure I will give the antibiotics as scheduled, so long as I can figure out a way for her to take it!

The vet did say to only give the Buprenex if she seems to be in pain. They said it’s an extremely strong opioid that acts very quickly so there’s no need to give it to her in advance if I’m not sure if she’s in pain. Better to wait to see if she needs it cause you can always give more but you can’t take any away.

Thank you!

Are you thinking of the CET toothpaste? For sure I’ll get her on a routine cleaning schedule once she’s feeling like herself again.
She's a beauty, reminds me of a little cat we fostered. That litter was so strange, the mother was a little tiger cat, the father (we think) was a buff and white fella but the kittens all came out marked like snow shoes or colored and coated like himmies. Who knows how that happened. Genetics isn't my forte, as I'm sure you can tell ;)
If the Buprenex is an opioid, that might explain something. They're good pain killers but sometimes people and animals don't react as expected.
If it's upsetting you and her both, you might ask the vet if there's anything else they could give her for pain so long as you're keeping her from jumping around a lot for the next couple of days :wave3:

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I was getting Krista through pancreatitis, I came to an agreement with her to not poison her food. I needed her to eat full calories as much as I needed her to take meds. Instead, I would prepare a small treat dish of tuna and medicine and maybe liver treats or salmon oil. Whatever it took to get her to eat the medicine in the smallest amount of food possible. Then I (mis)quote Pink Floyd to her until she's done, "you can't have your meat if you don't eat your pudding!" When she's done with her medicine meal, I can serve her food without any added poison.

Azazel

Top Cat
Purraise
She's a beauty, reminds me of a little cat we fostered. That litter was so strange, the mother was a little tiger cat, the father (we think) was a buff and white fella but the kittens all came out marked like snow shoes or colored and coated like himmies. Who knows how that happened. Genetics isn't my forte, as I'm sure you can tell ;)
If the Buprenex is an opioid, that might explain something. They're good pain killers but sometimes people and animals don't react as expected.
If it's upsetting you and her both, you might ask the vet if there's anything else they could give her for pain so long as you're keeping her from jumping around a lot for the next couple of days :wave3:
Good plan. It’s just about time now for the Buprenex to be wearing off so I’m going to monitor and see how she does. I think @PushPurrCatPaws is right that I need to see how she is without the meds to get a sense of when she needs them.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good plan. It’s just about time now for the Buprenex to be wearing off so I’m going to monitor and see how she does. I think @PushPurrCatPaws is right that I need to see how she is without the meds to get a sense of when she needs them.
Don't skip antibiotics doses. You can pause the pain meds if you want to see how she does without them. But whatever discomfort the antibiotics might cause her, ride it out. It's better than an infection or encouraging drug resistance in surviving bacteria colonies.

Azazel

Top Cat
Purraise
Don't skip antibiotics doses. You can pause the pain meds if you want to see how she does without them. But whatever discomfort the antibiotics might cause her, ride it out. It's better than an infection or encouraging drug resistance in surviving bacteria colonies.
Agreed. I don’t plan on skipping them! :thumbsup:

Azazel

Top Cat
Purraise
Update: Been 16 hours now since her last dose of painkillers and she seems fine. She’s looking out the window and when I walk over she asks for tummy rubs. Also eating. She still hasn’t relaxed enough to sleep yet but she doesn’t seem to be in so much pain that she needs more painkillers. I’m glad I went with the “wait and see” approach rather than dosing her up again.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Did they give her the SR (sustained release) shot at the vet’s office? You may have overmedicated her and she may still need it when the SR wears off.

Azazel

Top Cat
Purraise
No they just gave her an anti-inflammatory that they said would last 24 hours (it’s been about 30 hours now since they gave it) and also gave her first Buprenex dose.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes. But that first Buprenex. Was that the short acting (12 hours) or sustained release (72 hours)?

Azazel

Top Cat
Purraise
It was just the 12 hour one. I asked them to give the first dose there in front of me to show me how to do it.

I’ll watch her for the next couple hours and maybe give her a half dose before I go to bed. She seems alright but not her full self so I’m sure she has a bit of pain.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sometimes pain prevents you from sleeping. I speak from personal experience. Maybe try giving her a half dose, if she keeps on staying awake another two hours?

Azazel

Top Cat
Purraise
I’ll give her a dose before we go to bed.

She’s been awake since we brought her home though - even though she was on the painkillers since leaving the vet. :dunno:

Azazel

Top Cat
Purraise
Ok I just gave her another full dose... it was too difficult to insert only half the syringe. I hate giving these drugs to her but I hope it helps ease her pain. This dose was spaced further apart from the other ones and I’m hoping she won’t need any more tomorrow.

Last edited:

Azazel

Top Cat
Purraise
Not sure if anyone's still following this thread but thought I'd update in case anyone else is in a similar situation in the future.

My girl is doing LOTS better today. :bunnydance:

I'd say she's almost back to her normal self. I haven't given her any painkillers since last night and she's not spaced out anymore. She's eating, playing, and sleeping and seems to be her old self again. Now we just finish her antibiotics and take her for a follow up visit to the vet to make sure everything is healing properly.

Thanks everyone for all your reassurance and support through her dental procedure and recovery! It really wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. She was in quite a bit of pain for the initial 24-36 hours following the procedure, but she bounced back quickly. We are happy to have our baby girl back. :petcat:

:thanks: