Im a little confused and still in shock over a possible long lost feral returning...

m935

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Ive posted about her before. 2 summers ago I (not verbally) accused a neighbor of killing 3 of my last 5 ferals. It all made sense and everyone I told agreed with my accusation. The first to go was a young, very friendly grey girl.
I was feeding my 2 ferals this morning. Stood up, and behind them (like a ghost) was a grey cat. The other cats backed off a little - but not completely. (she was best friends with one). Of course I gave her some food and she ate immediately. She didnt meow (the other was very vocal). We were all weirded out. I left because they all stopped eating and when I walked away, they ate separately. I feed again later today and Im VERY curious if shell be there. I feel if she is... maybe its because shes knows I feed twice?? She has a very good weight - which the downside is thinking she just could be a very friendly house cat that got out.
How common is hte stripped tail in an all grey cat?
What are your opinions? Could this be her (not even sure the cats sex yet)? I looked at pictures. Both have similarities including a stripped tail only at the end. She was ear tipped but I could never see it anyway. Im just baffled. She would have been gone for 27 months!!!!!!!

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR ANY INPUT... i seriously am in shock and trying to not let my emotions of believing its her take over common sense.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

m935

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I know this doesnt help now... but ill just post of the missing cat now and try for pics of the new one later. (Hopefully i see her soon..)
the strips on the tail were interesting for me which is why i want to know how common that is in all grey cats

Attachments

kittychick

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I too have heard of cats (feral AND indoor, socialized) returning after a crazy amount of time....so it's definitely not something I'd rule out! Pictures could definitely help us weigh in (although obviously you know her best).

As far as all grey having striped tails - that's absolutely possible. That trait actually runs through our area (since so many are genetically connected, even if they're now in colonies that are further away). To give you an idea how it can really run through connected groups, of the 6 we are/were actively taking care of post-TNR, 1 is black, and 5 are/were grey - and 3 of those 5 had subtle stripes in their tails. Even the black one has stripes you can see when he's in the light just right!

SO we'll cross our fingers for you - - but definitely post a pic of the possible returnee now when you can!

m935

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
thank you. I wished i took her picture this morning. I was so in shock, that looking at pics I already had seemed weirdly more important Plus, i didnt want to scare her off from eating if i went back.
I cant help but think, maybe that was it. Then Im left to forever wonder. Better to have seen the cat, than not I suppose. But i remember she was so playful and noisy that if she does come around again and often. THAT will probably be the obvious sign. SO... i should at some point be able to figure this out. Ill definitely post pics if i get them also for your input.

WHat about the other cats reaction? not running away or chasing her? Does this mean anything??

THANKS AGAIN!!!!

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I had a feral cat gone for 8 months. I was certain he had died. Yet after 8 months, he returned and has been with me ever since. I hope this is your missing cat.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I, too, have had both scenarios. I fed an unfriendly TNRed female for about 2 years when she went missing. She was a tortie with ice blue eyes, so her eyes always the clue that it was her. About 6 months later I found her on a neighbor's lawn, healthy and overweight, apparently having moved on to another home.

Years before that, I had a litter born on my front lawn. One long haired black and white female who was partially friendly went missing after I had TNRed them all. About a year later I saw "her" around the corner and she walked up to me asking for food. I was shocked, picked her up, brought her home and then to the vet for a checkup. The vet was very excited to think that we had found her until she looked under her tail and found that it was a male. I did keep him and he was a wonderful boy.

moxiewild

Seniors, Special Needs, Ferals, and Wildlife
Super Cat
Purraise
We have a grey cat with very faint stripes. Even black cats can have stripes, it’s just difficult for us to see (the night vision in our game cameras brings out all sorts of markings in our black ferals).

She looks overweight, so I’m inclined to believe she is a pet. Potentially a lost one, so posting on local Facebook pages and Nextdoor is a good idea just in case,

Had the other cat been TNR’d and ear clipped prior to disappearing?

We’ve had a cat come back after about two years. Luckily this cat had incredibly distinct markings, so we knew it was him.

We also have several neutered/spayed cats who routinely disappear for weeks or months at a time several times a year. Never any worse for wear upon returning so far, other than once.

And one of our males comes back every fall/winter for the last three years like clock work. We’re excitedly anticipating his return soon, but there is always that fear that he won’t.

Who knows where they go, or why they decided to leave in the first place. I think they just like to make me worry so that they know I care 😂

m935

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Ok.. Thanks. I appreciate learning they may leave for 2 years. Mine have always cone and gone for days... But never months. This one in particular never left abd she was around for 3 years prior.
What makes me crazy is 2 more Cats "left" 2 months apart after her which really made me think they were killed by my neighbor. So again ill have to see how this one starts to act over time.
Is it strange the other cats aren't totally upset with a new cat being around? I wonder if it's because they know her... Or would they be thrilled to see her??
She was around last night abd this morning .. So hopefully she's staying.

moxiewild

Seniors, Special Needs, Ferals, and Wildlife
Super Cat
Purraise
Ok.. Thanks. I appreciate learning they may leave for 2 years. Mine have always cone and gone for days... But never months. This one in particular never left abd she was around for 3 years prior.
What makes me crazy is 2 more Cats "left" 2 months apart after her which really made me think they were killed by my neighbor. So again ill have to see how this one starts to act over time.
Is it strange the other cats aren't totally upset with a new cat being around? I wonder if it's because they know her... Or would they be thrilled to see her??
She was around last night abd this morning .. So hopefully she's staying.
So this changes my thoughts a bit, the fact that the other two disappeared shortly after.

Are you aware of any predators in the area? Coyotes, cougars, Bob cats, etc?

Sometimes ferals will leave like this if there are predators in the area.

Alternatively, they may leave if another cat encroaches on their territory is aggressive.

We’ve had this happen before, and we never would have known had we not had a trail camera out watching them. We never heard or saw fighting or any new cats otherwise.

Sometimes the old cats have already met (recently) and worked out enough tolerance with the new cat before you’ve even seen her. Especially if the old cats are neutered.

It could also be that they already knew her from a long time ago, although cat memories don’t work the same as ours. So no, they would not be thrilled or even remember who she is.

However, they can remember things like scent and their associations with a specific scent. Cats don’t have memories how we think of them, it’s more of the associations they have the ability to recall.

They might not remember things they did with other cats/people or who they are exactly, but they can sometimes recall whether that cat or person (or scent or voice) made them feel good, or made them feel scared.

So if they had a good relationship before, they wouldn’t feel thrilled to see her, but some implicit memory could potentially be telling them that she’s not a threat.

m935

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank you that was very helpful and hopeful.!!! I Appreciate your time.
We do have coyotes in a wide area of the county. But the 3 cats went missing June july and august... Each time on a friday/saturday night. So i thought it impossible for a coyote abd more of a horrible neighbor. We also had outside lights out during that time and i put signs up about it being a crime abd the last 2 remained.
Ill post pics i got of her tomorrow. Its different angles so it may be impossible to tell.

Last edited:

ZombieTiger

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I know this doesnt help now... but ill just post of the missing cat now and try for pics of the new one later. (Hopefully i see her soon..)
the strips on the tail were interesting for me which is why i want to know how common that is in all grey cats
If that isn't the same cat, they sure are strikingly similar. Look at the base of the ears as well.

ZombieTiger

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
If that isn't the same cat, they sure are strikingly similar. Look at the base of the ears as well.
Sorry, I misread and thought the top one was of the missing cat and the lower was the new one.

m935

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Sorry, I misread and thought the top one was of the missing cat and the lower was the new one.
I just signed on to tell you - the pictures are of the same cat. :) Sorry. Ive got a ton of pictures of the new one... but not hte same angle. So i think it will be pointless to share. I do think the tail is different - more stripes. And the ear doesnt look cut at all. I dont think it's her - maybe from the same litter though. But Ill take care of this one. Maybe get it trapped as well.
thank you!!!

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
All my cats, except for Treasure and Sopdet, took off at the very beginning of the pandemic. Just this past week, they have all been coming back one by one. But yes I can attest that they do take off and do come back. Reasons for leaving and coming back unknown to me.

Last edited: