I'm a first-time prospective cat owner and need suggestions for a breed

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Perhaps a small dog might be better - it will love you when you want, stay in the garden if you put it out and sleep on your feet when in the house. Much easier to train to stay off the furniture.

p3 and the king

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
- Very quiet, doesn't vocalize or talk much and when it does vocalize has a very low volume sound.

- Can look after itself for regular periods of time and can be left on its own and doesn't mind it (in other words, does not crave constant attention).

- Not too active (more on the "low-energy"/"couch potato" side somewhat)

- Not demanding

Thank you for any and all suggestions.

Punchy71
Well, Jenny Ranson,  these 4 "criteria" generally dismiss a dog... A dog cannot be left alone for long periods of time.  Dogs are generally more demanding than cats.  And dogs are usually more vocal than cats and definitely louder! 

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, maybe, but it depends on the dog! And we are all agreed that it will be impossible for all the criteria to be met. Sometimes you can take a dog with you to places you can't go with a cat, so you do not need to leave it alone.

p3 and the king

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, if he's this picky about a cat... He's going to be really upset with a dog!!  Cats are way less dependent than dogs and in a lot of cases, easier... I love dogs, too, but my reason for not having one right now is that I can't be home to walk it and give it the attention it needs.  They often require a lot more than a cat.  Where I live you can't take a dog a lot more places than you can a cat, either.  I mean, you can't take it to work.  You can't take it to classes.  Basically it would be home all day with no one to walk it.  That would not do. 

alleygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
  The idea of taking one home and "testing one out" first before committing to keeping one sounds like excellent advise also. I was wondering if perhaps animal shelters might let you take a prospective cat home for a while and try them out at home first before you adopt them permanently. Has anyone ever done this? Will they allow it? Maybe someone who works at a shelter might know that frequents this forum?

Anyway; I'm assuming a "moggy" is slang for a domestic shorthair. Are they the most common breed?

Not sure where you are located, but a lot of humane societies and rescue groups have foster programs. That might be a way for you to "test-drive" a cat. Most rescue volunteers are pretty good at matching cats with humans also. You might visit one, explain your needs and ask them to introduce you to the cats they have they feel might be a good match. Then you can possibly take one on a foster-to-adopt basis.

IMO that's really the only workable solution to your requirements.

p3 and the king

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The only thing is, he states he has no prior experience.  Many rescues and shelters will not consider him foster material. A lot of the time, they require people whom have experience dealing not just with animals but often traumatized animals.  Usually the ones that go to a foster home have been through something traumatizing or are not handling being in a small cage well.  You can always ask, I am sure but for someone who doesn't know cats it could be kind of shaky and I'm not sure they would feel it's a good fit. 

What I would do if you really are set on the idea of a cat and I didn't have family or friends or neighbors with cats is I would go spend some time at the rescue shelters and play with them.  It won't be the same thing of course but you can get a general idea of the activeness of a real cat and a better feel for it.  Ask the rescue or shelter people about what it's really like to have a cat and live with them... What they need... What to expect... What you need in order to keep them happy and to keep them from potentially developing behavior problems.  People on here could talk all day long telling you how to prepare and what you need and what the cat needs.  But, it means nothing if you don't see it for yourself and talk to someone in person while you are spending time getting a feel for cats. 

milk maid

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi to all,

I'm new to cats, I've never owned a cat before, and I don't own a cat yet but I'm considering getting one and need suggestions for a breed that matches my temperament. I'm looking for a breed that has the following characteristics.

- Either a floor-dwelling breed or a breed that tends to be floor-dwelling (not a jumper or climber or tends to not jump or climb much at all or is poor at jumping and climbing.).

- I prefer a very low shedding cat.

- Very quiet, doesn't vocalize or talk much and when it does vocalize has a very low volume sound.

- Calm

- Easy going

- Mellow

- Well behaved

- Laid back

- Minimal grooming requirements

- Short hair or at least medium hair is my preference

- Docile

- Gentle

- Even tempered demeanor

- Enjoys being peted, handled, or held

- Gets along well with other cats, dogs, children and people (everyone and every creature).

- Can look after itself for regular periods of time and can be left on its own and doesn't mind it (in other words, does not crave constant attention).

- Very loving and affectionate

- Generally healthy breed

- Not too active (more on the "low-energy"/"couch potato" side somewhat)

- Great first-time cat

- Not demanding

- Relatively common breed (not too rare, scarce, unusual, unique or exotic and hence expensive).

Thank you for any and all suggestions.

Punchy71
Sorry Punchy71 but I think you should consider goldfish 

malama popoki

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi Punchy71,

I had never owned a cat either, until about a year ago, when my husband and I decided to adopt a cat from our local humane society.  Mai Tai is a moggie, but she really fits the physical traits and temperament of a Ragdoll cat. 

Your "wish list" describes the Ragdoll cat to a tee!  They are a medium to long-haired cat, but the fur is soft and cottony, like that of a rabbit.  Although my ragdoll (mix)  does shed in the spring, it drops off like little fur bunnies on the floor and the Roomba Vac picks'm right up!  There is also a paddle shaped mitt made from natural sponge that you can get at your local pet store that works well to manually remove hair from upholstery and carpet.  They have laid back personalities, and they go limp in your arms when picked up.   Ragdolls like to play very gently (keep this in mind if you have young kids)  and they like to follow you from one room to the next.  They are not very vocal, but they have silly ways of getting your attention (they are little comedians, and they have "slapstick"mastered!)..

If you go through a reputable breeder, a Ragdoll can be expensive (and PLEASE do your research!!), but you could look into adopting a cat from your local ragdoll rescue organization.  The rescue kitties are out there in numbers!  You could also consider adopting a retired sire are queen from a cattery, but be prepared to offer a very patient and loving intro to your home if you decide to go this route.   If you like to profile different breeds, Animal Planet's "Cats 101" is a good source.    Most important thing when adopting a Ragdoll cat:  Always keep them indoors only!!  They lack the instinctual defense mechanism that most cats possess.  They would see a a rabid raccoon trudging toward them and think maybe this might be a good friend to try to touch noses with.  They also make easy targets to be stolen as well, as they will go up to just about anyone to say hello.  Good Luck!! Don't give up until you know it is the right match.  Also, consider that this is a very rewarding 18-20 year commitment.

caro

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi Punchy

You seem to have too many requirements to be ready to be a cat owner! Sorry but cats are individual creatures who will have their own personality and foibles despite the characteristics of the breed and you have to accept this.

Relax and go visit your local shelter..............you might fall in love with a cat who doesn't tick any of your boxes.

good luck

caro