if your cat is somewhere

tabbymommy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
If your cat goes somewhere they don't belong how do you redirect them. My cat isn't aloud in sertain rooms (prettymuch all rooms except my room and the hall and down stairs in the living room trying to move so that we can change it to all rooms she is aloud in) I redirect her with putting my foot up and brushing it against her to where I want her or just say "get your but back here" and most of the time she listens so I would say even though we have only had her for about 4 months she is well trained to listen now to work on her baby.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You've heard the expression "like trying to herd cats!", well it really is about impossible to get a cat to do something they don't want to do. They DO NOT listen well either, and are kings at ignoring you. The best thing to do is to convince them it's their idea or make it unpleasant when they do something they are not supposed to. I too often use my foot as a guiding tool, a stern 'NO' and physically picking them up and putting them where they are supposed to be helps too. Use the same word all the time, such as no, they learn quick. Loud noises such as coins in a can work too, but be carefull you don't want to make them afraid.

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I use Soft Air plastic pellets in a plastic medicine bottle to shake when I want to get them to stop doing something, along with saying their name and 'no'   Usually it is Sheba or Sugar, so it goes -  Shake bottle 2 or 3 times, "Sheba, no"   She usually gets distracted and forgets what she is doing and most of the time comes for some petsies.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tabbymommy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Wow usually when I distract Tabby she goes right back about 5 min later if she is a I don't wanna listen time and her son is the exact same way but I have started training since he could walk and he is a month now so hope he will be better than his mama

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Wow usually when I distract Tabby she goes right back about 5 min later if she is a I don't wanna listen time and her son is the exact same way but I have started training since he could walk and he is a month now so hope he will be better than his mama
Wow, 5 minutes. Sheba usually lasts about 2 minutes before she is back into whatever she was doing that I told her NO for. Usually, after the third time, she will let it alone for an hour or so.

tabbymommy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Tabby will actually stop after the secound time for a while might be 2 hours might be the rest of the day it all depends on how much buddy distracts her or I distract her with attention (she always loves attention from me and she will get alil from my bf and be back to me lol)

katluver4life

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I gave up trying to stop mine from going where I didn't want them to and decided to just move or pack away anything they could break, and just cat proof my home. They now rule the whole place
. As I couldn't be around 24/7 or confine them if I had to go out, sleep or go to work, I decided that was best for all and easiest on me

imbri

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Stop my cats from going somewhere I don't want them?  HA!  As I type this Jasio is walking back and forth hovering over the keyboard. 

They go everywhere and anywhere in my home, I just make sure it safe for both myself and them with cat proofing and museum putty.

tabbymommy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
this ain't my house so I can't cat proof it and me and my bf are the only ones in the house with cats everyone else has dogs (there are 3 dogs and 2 cat total in the house). When I get my own place yes it will be cat proof and they will rule the house or apartment oh boy it will be fin and less crazy. I can't wait for Tabby to wean her baby cause I'm tired of her eatting the food I put out for him for when he tries to eat it but he is wild and sweet at the same time and I love them both to death.

harleydiva

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Mine pretty much go anywhere they want, but have learned there are a couple of places they are not supposed to go (high shelves with housemate's angel collection), and usually respect it.  Gideon, the Siamese boy, is the most daring....but has definitely learned what NO means.  He dares me once in a while.....jumps up to a midpoint and looks at the shelf......which usually elicits "Gideon you better not".....I would swear he laughs before he gets down.  

Last edited:

tabbymommy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
ikr its like they are like you know you will let me eventually or just try to get a reaction out of you.