If you free feed...

minka

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by NutroMike

From the info I've read the figure is more like 25%. Around 54 million cats are obese in the US. I don't think there is ANY accurate number but your 75% caught my eye because it seems really, really high statistically. But as you pointed out, it is your opinion based upon your experience. For whatever reason I thought you were citing numbers you have read. You are right that most owners do not realize or would not classify their animals (both cats and dogs) as obese, BUT, they do realize obesity in animals is cause for concern. Kind of odd isn't it?
From the info I linked you it's 50+%. And that study is recent. Here's another one from 2009 that says the same. http://www.dogchannel.com/dog-news/2...udy-finds.aspx

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sweetpea24

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Kind of weird that owners wouldn't see their cat as overweight or obese eh? Part of it is embarrassment but some just won't admit it. My boyfriend won't admit his cat is fat even though the vet told him he needs to lose 5 kilograms (not pounds!) Then these owners are surprised that their cats get diabetes or have urinary blockage. The good thing for me, a vet tech, is the mean, fat ones can't move to bite or claw!

I asked the question out of curiosity and to examine the 'myth'that cats who are free fed become overweight. Obviously, it works for some. But yes, some owners do not view their cats as overweight.

To those free feeders, do you know how much food you are giving and how much your cat is eating? Some of you said the bowl is empty at a certain time.

cat person

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by SweetPea24

.......To those free feeders, do you know how much food you are giving and how much your cat is eating? Some of you said the bowl is empty at a certain time.
I do know about how much each of my cats eat,
I do. The list is as follows:

Panda DLH: 1/4 to 1/2 cup dry and 1/4 cup dry mixed with 3 human spoon fulls wet food in a 24 hour period.

Loki F3 Savannah: 1 to 1 and a half cups dry food as an adult. Plus one feeder mouse a day for the past month or so. He used to eat four to six cups of dry food a day when growing. His eating is based on temperature and activity level now. He seems to be self regulating.

Shadow and Momma cat DSH's: Since they are indoor/outdoor cats this is to the best of my knowledge. They each get two cups of dry food a day to share. Plus 1/4 a cup of dry mixed with a quater of a 5.5 oz can twice a day. I know they both catch wild food as I see it happen or see the left overs on my deck