Idiopathic Cystitis - What Do We Know About It? Annnnnnd Go :)

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just read all the posts. You have tons of good advice on the food, water, meds. calming diffusers and etc.I am glad so many people weighed in. Don’t feel bad about baby sitting. All cats are different and he just as easily could have loved company. I get a rainbow of cat reactions here as I bring in new rescues. It is a balancing act for sure but I think a lot has to do with the personality and history of a cat. I can only tell you what I do in case you are faced with another cat. I will also get to how I treat my nervous kitty. You can either read through or just skip to the part that is most relevant to your current situation. I hope something here may be useful. I start by putting new kitties in a separate space from the others. The cats already established here seem more curious about and sympathetic to the new cat if that cat is not allowed to run freely through the house. ( that restricts germ spread so it is required here for a time anyway) The free cats tend to try and get close to the “hidden” cats. They sniff the door, put their paws through the cracks and any other thing they can figure out to do. Movement that is slightly hidden to a cat is far more intetesting as a puzzle to them than seeing everything immediately. Curiosity! The more I tell them no, the more determined they are to get their way. It becomes a game. They also feel a need to release the prisoner. My cat Mackie can open doors so I have to watch that one. I keep the kitty who is quarantined happy with toys and attention until I feel it is safe to let them out. First they must be healthy but also I want to feel that the others are curious and, hopefully, ready to meet the new cat. It does not always go smoothly. Some kitties change their minds and want me to put new kitty back. Not happening. I give ALL kitties their own safe haven. Cage, carrier, cat tree with hiding place or any spot I have available. With most I try to give them a door that can be closed. Some know how to close their own door. Don’t sell them short. They are every bit as teachable as another other animal residing with humans. Locking is only done out if total necessity for health, travel or safety once a cat is in the general population. All cats have their own food , boxes and water. Each cat has toys but there are also shared toys for those wising to share. Arguments and tension occur. I handle this by separating the participants. A gentle but firm,”no” to both parties. Then I take each one to a quiet space , one at a time and top ranking cat first. I give them petting, holding, brushing, calming speech and relaxing things only. No excited play or extra stimulation. The idea is to calm kitty to a mellow and relaxed state to remind them that I will keep them safe and secure. I try to act as House Mom! Lol when kitty one is relaxed I leave them in their quiet space and move to the next cat to do the same thing. Cats do have a bit of a pecking order or will try to establish one with new arrivals. Very stressful! A permanent resident needs to know they will not be losing their spot. Reassurance is so important! The resident should always be attended to first. Like ranking officers. Fed first, petted first, played with first and reassured of their place in your heart. It may seem harsh to the others but as long as you love them all equally it works. If you have kitty visitors that are tame and temporary you might consider visiting, feeding, etc. in totally separate area unless you know your kitty wants them to join in. Sensitive and nervous cats are harder to get acclimatized. It takes more time and much patience. It can’t be forced. Some cats never like each other but so far I have found that they do respect boundaries. I stick to my reassurance methods. It seems to settle things unless something specific causes a disagreement. I did have one male that developed a problem and was urinating in bad places. I had him checked by a vet but he was healthy so I started giving him lots of extra, private, attention. I took him in a bathroom and shut the door for quiet time together. He got the luxury, cat spa treatment. No exciting play stimulation during this time. All the relaxing things mentioned here and in other posts were applied plus a sort of kitty/petting version of massage on a soft blanket in my lap or the floor in front of me if he wanted to stretch out. I tried to make him understand that he was the most important thing in the world to me. He got my complete focus. I do make it a point to talk to all the cats. We all give dogs credit for understanding words and tone of voice. Cats do too. (His entire family had died, one by one, finally leaving him the only survivor. He was still young when this happened and he became very clingy. He is a black/ Siamese) The spa treatments continued for about six months before he finally stopped his nervous urinating. I also took him to a secluded litter box often while petting and encouraging. At first he seemed to want me to stay while he used the box but he didn’t need the reassurance for long. Then he just enjoyed the ride. Lol He hasn’t urinated in the wrong place since. This took time and patience but it was well worth it. Will he do it again? Possibly. If stressed it may well happen but I am prepared. I try to ward off the extreme reaction by giving extra snuggles and some private time but I don’t have to devote the intense level of treatment that I did in the beginning. I do find that a sensitive time is with new arrivals, although he is often my first greeter now, and during thunder storms. I make sure to remember Purryman at these times. I find him and pick him up for a few whispers of love and some snuggles. As I said before, every cat is different but putting out those deep loving vibes and tender snuggles have kept peace in my house. We all know our cats kind of dominate our lives because they are so important to us but if a kitty has worries, make sure he knows that when he needs you to be in charge of the bad things in the world or other cats, you are really the top cat in the house. ( with the exception of him, of course!) Sorry for the length of the post but it’s hard to explain what I do in a few words.;) I hope he relaxes. I’d love to read a new post about you both feeling good, calm and happy. :petcat:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Ksoltys

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Update: dehydrated raw is not going so well anymore. Back to hills and wet. Pepper is doing well. The visiting cats that were thought to originally be the cause of Clancey’s stress induced inflamed bladder have now been gone since last Thursday and I have seen Clancey pee in both the front entry way and the corner of the kitchen where litter boxes for other cats were in the last two days. Previously he was peeing in litter box as normal during and after his cycle of meds while visiting cats were still here. I have two litter boxes per cat. Going to get a third. What is going on with this boy? Is he re claiming territory? Or is it his bladder again? I am beyond stressed. This has been ongoing for upwards of a month and a half now. Just when I think things are getting better we hit a set back. What are your guys thoughts on this behaviour? I am apt to believe he is re claiming considering the stress he experienced while visiting cats were here but why now when they are gone and not while they were here? I also don’t want to over rule an angry bladder. Help!!

Ksoltys

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I just read all the posts. You have tons of good advice on the food, water, meds. calming diffusers and etc.I am glad so many people weighed in. Don’t feel bad about baby sitting. All cats are different and he just as easily could have loved company. I get a rainbow of cat reactions here as I bring in new rescues. It is a balancing act for sure but I think a lot has to do with the personality and history of a cat. I can only tell you what I do in case you are faced with another cat. I will also get to how I treat my nervous kitty. You can either read through or just skip to the part that is most relevant to your current situation. I hope something here may be useful. I start by putting new kitties in a separate space from the others. The cats already established here seem more curious about and sympathetic to the new cat if that cat is not allowed to run freely through the house. ( that restricts germ spread so it is required here for a time anyway) The free cats tend to try and get close to the “hidden” cats. They sniff the door, put their paws through the cracks and any other thing they can figure out to do. Movement that is slightly hidden to a cat is far more intetesting as a puzzle to them than seeing everything immediately. Curiosity! The more I tell them no, the more determined they are to get their way. It becomes a game. They also feel a need to release the prisoner. My cat Mackie can open doors so I have to watch that one. I keep the kitty who is quarantined happy with toys and attention until I feel it is safe to let them out. First they must be healthy but also I want to feel that the others are curious and, hopefully, ready to meet the new cat. It does not always go smoothly. Some kitties change their minds and want me to put new kitty back. Not happening. I give ALL kitties their own safe haven. Cage, carrier, cat tree with hiding place or any spot I have available. With most I try to give them a door that can be closed. Some know how to close their own door. Don’t sell them short. They are every bit as teachable as another other animal residing with humans. Locking is only done out if total necessity for health, travel or safety once a cat is in the general population. All cats have their own food , boxes and water. Each cat has toys but there are also shared toys for those wising to share. Arguments and tension occur. I handle this by separating the participants. A gentle but firm,”no” to both parties. Then I take each one to a quiet space , one at a time and top ranking cat first. I give them petting, holding, brushing, calming speech and relaxing things only. No excited play or extra stimulation. The idea is to calm kitty to a mellow and relaxed state to remind them that I will keep them safe and secure. I try to act as House Mom! Lol when kitty one is relaxed I leave them in their quiet space and move to the next cat to do the same thing. Cats do have a bit of a pecking order or will try to establish one with new arrivals. Very stressful! A permanent resident needs to know they will not be losing their spot. Reassurance is so important! The resident should always be attended to first. Like ranking officers. Fed first, petted first, played with first and reassured of their place in your heart. It may seem harsh to the others but as long as you love them all equally it works. If you have kitty visitors that are tame and temporary you might consider visiting, feeding, etc. in totally separate area unless you know your kitty wants them to join in. Sensitive and nervous cats are harder to get acclimatized. It takes more time and much patience. It can’t be forced. Some cats never like each other but so far I have found that they do respect boundaries. I stick to my reassurance methods. It seems to settle things unless something specific causes a disagreement. I did have one male that developed a problem and was urinating in bad places. I had him checked by a vet but he was healthy so I started giving him lots of extra, private, attention. I took him in a bathroom and shut the door for quiet time together. He got the luxury, cat spa treatment. No exciting play stimulation during this time. All the relaxing things mentioned here and in other posts were applied plus a sort of kitty/petting version of massage on a soft blanket in my lap or the floor in front of me if he wanted to stretch out. I tried to make him understand that he was the most important thing in the world to me. He got my complete focus. I do make it a point to talk to all the cats. We all give dogs credit for understanding words and tone of voice. Cats do too. (His entire family had died, one by one, finally leaving him the only survivor. He was still young when this happened and he became very clingy. He is a black/ Siamese) The spa treatments continued for about six months before he finally stopped his nervous urinating. I also took him to a secluded litter box often while petting and encouraging. At first he seemed to want me to stay while he used the box but he didn’t need the reassurance for long. Then he just enjoyed the ride. Lol He hasn’t urinated in the wrong place since. This took time and patience but it was well worth it. Will he do it again? Possibly. If stressed it may well happen but I am prepared. I try to ward off the extreme reaction by giving extra snuggles and some private time but I don’t have to devote the intense level of treatment that I did in the beginning. I do find that a sensitive time is with new arrivals, although he is often my first greeter now, and during thunder storms. I make sure to remember Purryman at these times. I find him and pick him up for a few whispers of love and some snuggles. As I said before, every cat is different but putting out those deep loving vibes and tender snuggles have kept peace in my house. We all know our cats kind of dominate our lives because they are so important to us but if a kitty has worries, make sure he knows that when he needs you to be in charge of the bad things in the world or other cats, you are really the top cat in the house. ( with the exception of him, of course!) Sorry for the length of the post but it’s hard to explain what I do in a few words.;) I hope he relaxes. I’d love to read a new post about you both feeling good, calm and happy. :petcat:
Thank you for your in-depth reply I really do appreciate that so never apologize!! I just posted an update regarding Clancey if you were curious. In addition to that post I am thinking that he may also be stressed because my schedule with him is irregular. I do the same routine every day to the best of my ability. With his aggressive past, my partner is not a fan and thus Clancey stays in his room with his catio and buddy Pepper when we sleep. Or when my partner is home. He (my partner) has graduated from standing awkwardly in the living room playing video games and ignoring (not ideal) to sitting on the couch and allowing Clancey to join us. It is very limiting. I encourage my partner to play with and brush Clancey but he is hesitant. For me, the goal is to have everyone living harmoniously together, for my partner not so much. He just tolerates the situation. I’m resentful of my partner for this. These cats are my world and I am starting to think now that this irregular schedule and being locked away is prohibiting both my cats from feeling safe and secure. When they are out I am consistent in my routine and maximize their time out as much as possible. They are usually out for 3-4 hours at a time meaning sometimes the bf gets booted to the bedroom or outside. We play, we eat, we groom, we cuddle we repeat. My schedule is all over the place so unfortunately this does not take place at the same time every day usually in the evening as I work most days but when I’m on nights it takes place in the afternoon. I am planning to move out on my own again for the benefit of my cats but also myself (cue Maury povich post re relationship issues, ha!!) Anyways. I’m defeated and tired and feel very stuck. Vet bills have got me in quite the hole which is preventing me from moving out. I work two jobs. Casual relief at a hospital and a serving position and somehow am still only floating barely above water. I hope this information doesn’t upset anyone. I am truly doing the best I can.

Ksoltys

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh and obviously these cats are coming first and will continue to rack up the vet bills I don’t care. I just want them to be happy and healthy. Clancey has an appt tomorrow to rule out any bladder issues with the inappropriate urinating. I just wonder if I’m chasing myself in circles, you know?

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats understand the vibes put out by others. While your partner feels the way they feel..... that can be an issues. Harmony and respect are important. Either that or staying separated. As to territory, someone’s they do re claim. Some Feliway spray might help. My other thought outside of health is, could there be another cat in the are demlnstrating mating scents of behaviors? If they are anywhere your cat can catch the scent then it can send him into a tailspin. Even if he is neutered. If someone has sprayed nearby then your cat knows. So, bad vibes or sexy ones can affect him. What do you do? Make peace inside the house and hose down the outside. Maybe one of these will help. I hope so!

Ksoltys

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks Jcatbird! I do have a catio and have recently noticed a big old black and white male snooping around, there is also a female who belongs to the downstairs tenant who is an outdoor cat. I do have a diffuser in their cat room and have implemented some cbd oil into their wet! I don’t really know how to deter the outside cats though, I will hose things down. Any other measures I can take? Also, no inappropriate peeing today!! Good pees and poos, re introducing some freeze dried raw into the wet (think I moved to quickly previously) and cooking out after our play sessions. Here’s hoping we’re on the up and up! Thank you all so much for being here, you guys are so very helpful and I so appreciate everyone taking the time to respond and share their suggestions <3

Ksoltys

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks Jcatbird! I do have a catio and have recently noticed a big old black and white male snooping around, there is also a female who belongs to the downstairs tenant who is an outdoor cat. I do have a diffuser in their cat room and have implemented some cbd oil into their wet! I don’t really know how to deter the outside cats though, I will hose things down. Any other measures I can take? Also, no inappropriate peeing today!! Good pees and poos, re introducing some freeze dried raw into the wet (think I moved to quickly previously) and cooking out after our play sessions. Here’s hoping we’re on the up and up! Thank you all so much for being here, you guys are so very helpful and I so appreciate everyone taking the time to respond and share their suggestions <3
Conking** haha and I’m looking into a vet to go service to come into the home vs going to the vet. Clanceys bud is a feral kit kat and think this would be better. Hopefully all checks out! Thank you again guys, you are all so wonderful!

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
For me, the goal is to have everyone living harmoniously together, for my partner not so much. He just tolerates the situation.
I remember watching an episode of "My Cat From Hell", and in the episode there was a cat inappropriately urinating, and it was because he was trying to combine scents/connect with the boyfriend who wanted nothing to do with him. Just a thought.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Jcatbird Jcatbird --For some reason sexy vibes cracked me up!
Agreed! Haha[/QUOTE

;) I suppose my choice of words could have been a little different! :lol: Now that you pointed it out I am giggling too!

Seriously though, If you want to deter the visiting cats try some natural citrus. Kitties don’t like the smell. I guess it kills the vibe!
I am glad to hear that everything is improving and that you can still laugh.:yess:

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know, I wasn't sure I should laugh about such a serious subject, but I couldn't help myself! Oh well, they say laughter is the best medicine. :D

Ksoltys

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I remember watching an episode of "My Cat From Hell", and in the episode there was a cat inappropriately urinating, and it was because he was trying to combine scents/connect with the boyfriend who wanted nothing to do with him. Just a thought.
I love that show! Thank you for the recommendation. I just got into it actually so I will definitely track that episode down!

Ksoltys

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Me too haha, I will try the citrus! Send those sexy vibes back to where they came from!