Ideas to keep a cat away from diffuser on power outlet?

gabicards

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi!

So, about a month ago my cat had some weird allergic reaction to something, and it showed through a wound on his nose (I made a post on the forum about it). I removed his Feliway diffuser from the wall then. Today, after taking him to the vet to check on a possible UTI (or something that caused his urine to look pinkish), on top of the meds, she recommended some type of aromatherapy that can help both my cat and my flatmate's dog, and can be used along with Feliway (since they work differently).

I want to use it, and would also like to place Feliway back in my bedroom. The trouble is that, here in France, all the power outlets are very low on the walls. It's annoying, but I have zero outlets higher up. Since I don't know what caused that reaction on my cat's nose, I don't want anything with chemicals of any kind, or that is warm in any way, where his nose can reach. Does anyone have any tips for how I can safely cover the diffusers?

I'm also looking into power extensions that I could place higher up in the walls without the need to drill into them, but I'm afraid I'd have trouble removing whatever adhesive they come with and causing damage to the walls, since I live in a rented apartment.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Have you considered looking into diffusers that are non-electric and battery free that could be set up on a higher surface? They usually work by wicking the oil up into a decorative piece on top of a container that holds the oil. This example is one from Amazon in the US, but I presume you could find something similar in France. It seems as if they can hold any numbers of different oils.
Amazon.com: Airomé Succulent Passive White Porcelain Diffuser, Non-Electric, Battery-Free Fragrance and Essential Oil Diffuser with Peppermint Essential Oil, White Cactus with Beige Base : Health & Household

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Use a sturdy extension cord. The kind that you'd use to extend the reach of small appliances, not the kind you'd use to extend a table lamp. I don't know how they describe wire in France but, here, it would be called 14-guage.

Once you have the difuser on a cord, you can place it anywhere. If you could make a stand for it you might even be able to stand it on a table top.

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
I'm also looking into power extensions that I could place higher up in the walls without the need to drill into them, but I'm afraid I'd have trouble removing whatever adhesive they come with and causing damage to the walls, since I live in a rented apartment.
Can you get Commmand strips or hooks in France? They stick to a surface but remove without damage. You could put it higher on the wall, then loop an extension cord up on the hook. Not an attractive look but it would work. :)

Here’s one style. They have several.
IMG_4818.jpeg

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We use those removable adhesive strips for lots of things around the house.

Our house is about 200 yds. away from the Norfolk & Southern railroad tracks. It doesn't take long to get used to the sound but the vibration shakes the whole house. We use those strips to keep picture frames from vibrating off the wall. Without them, there wouldn't be a single frame that hangs straight for more than a day. They work great!

If you could, somehow, attach the diffuser to a box of some kind then attach the box to the wall, except for the cord, nobody would suspect that it's been moved. :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gabicards

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Can you get Commmand strips or hooks in France? They stick to a surface but remove without damage. You could put it higher on the wall, then loop an extension cord up on the hook. Not an attractive look but it would work. :)

Here’s one style. They have several.
View attachment 449482
Thanks for the tip! I actually used these in my bedroom to hang things on the wall, since I didn't want to drill holes into it... but when I tried to remove them, the paint came off. It's an old place, so this has been an issue. I basically can't risk glueing anything because it will probably end up with a mark :(

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Given that you don't want to glue anything to the wall, or drill holes, you might consider this. Now, I'm not certain where your outlet is but I'm thinking close to the floor. You can get a bird cage, metal ones are cheap and they are small, different shapes to fit the area. All you need is one that can cover the defuser. You may need to cut one or two bars out of the back of the cage for the defuser to fit into it. Then put either one large heavy rock in the cage, or several good sized ones to weight it down and keep the cat from moving it. If your outlet is higher you can place the cage on a table, or a stack of books. Be aware that if the cage is knocked over and the metal rods touch the prongs of the defuser it could spark, so make certain you have the cage weighted well. If you don't mind screwing small braces into the floor to secure it that could work too.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gabicards

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Given that you don't want to glue anything to the wall, or drill holes, you might consider this. Now, I'm not certain where your outlet is but I'm thinking close to the floor. You can get a bird cage, metal ones are cheap and they are small, different shapes to fit the area. All you need is one that can cover the defuser. You may need to cut one or two bars out of the back of the cage for the defuser to fit into it. Then put either one large heavy rock in the cage, or several good sized ones to weight it down and keep the cat from moving it. If your outlet is higher you can place the cage on a table, or a stack of books. Be aware that if the cage is knocked over and the metal rods touch the prongs of the defuser it could spark, so make certain you have the cage weighted well. If you don't mind screwing small braces into the floor to secure it that could work too.
Thanks a lot for the idea! Im going to look into it