Ideas on training rambunctuous deaf kitten

yoohoora

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Minchin is seven months old, and a holy terror.  hehe  He's currently going through the phase of scratching everything in sight.  I'm finding it a real challenge to point him in the right direction.  I'm frustrated, because I can't use voice to help train. 

I have big cat trees in the living room and my bedroom with long sisal legs.  I have cardboard and sisal scratchers everywhere, some flat, some upright.  I've got him going to the scratchers now, but he sits on them while scratching the carpet around them.  haha  He especially likes my new upright speakers and my fairly new leather couch.  Gah.  And door jambs.  I have bamboo chairs and room divider.  he's completely shredded those.  If I put two sided tape on the things he's not supposed to scratch, he pulls it off and tries to eat it  He loves tape. I'm afraid it will make him sick, so, I've stopped using tape. I've tried lemon to dissaude him.  He likes lemon.  I try using treats to bribe him, and he will go to the item to scratch to get the treat, but like I said, he doesn't scratch it, just sits on it.  I don't know if I should be rewarding him for this.  I will take his paws and try to rub the surface to show him what I want.  He goes limp, and sometimes bites to get away.  I try to get him to look at my face to show displeasure when he scratches my leather couch.  He just wiggles and won't look at my face.  I'll put him on nearby scratchers that match the height of the item he's scratching, and he flops around, trying to get away.  I'm not sure if forcing him to scratch things is just upsetting to him, which ruins the teachable moment. He might be so desperate to get away that he doesn't learn.  If I do manage to catch his attention when he's scratching something I don't want him to, I'll point at him and scowl.  When I try to get him to show him what is ok to scratch, he bolts, zipping in and around furniture.  It's a game.

I'm sure this is normal training frustration.  haha  My hearing cats got it quite quickly, but I could reinforce with verbal praise.  I could really use some suggestions on how i can reinforce good behaviour with him other than just treats.  I'm clapping now, and smiling widely, hoping he understands this is good. (I must look like a goof.) I've looked into clickers, but am not sure how that will work with a deaf cat.  I do have a laser pen.  I haven't tried that for other than play.  I'm not sure how to use it as a teaching tool.

Any ideas?  I'm really frustrated.  I don't want my stuff ruined, and yet I know that's what happens when you have a cat.

GemsGem

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Oh the joys of kittens :lol3:

Have you throught about trimming his claws ? If his claws are kept short and blunt he can't do any damage. All my cats have their claws trimmed about once a week :D

catpack

TCS Veteran
Kitten
Purraise
Have you tried catnip on the scratching surfaces? What about textures other than sisal and cardboard for him to scratch (carpet, even denim are good options)?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

yoohoora

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh the joys of kittens

Have you throught about trimming his claws ? If his claws are kept short and blunt he can't do any damage. All my cats have their claws trimmed about once a week
I don't trim his claws.  His balance is a bit wonky because of his deafness.  Maybe I should see if he can still get up the cat trees with them clipped.  I don't want him to have a spill.  He already had a bad one, and I was afraid he'd broken his ankle.  He just flopped around for about ten minutes unable to put weight on it, and then he was fine. 

yoohoora

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Have you tried catnip on the scratching surfaces? What about textures other than sisal and cardboard for him to scratch (carpet, even denim are good options)?
There is carpet on the cat trees, which he does use.  I might try denim.  That's a good idea.  Maybe I can turn an old pair of jeans into a scratching board.

He's just in the phase where he wants to claim everything as his, I guess.  The truth is, the cats have more furniture now than I do.  hehe  I was hoping he'd leave my few things alone.  But no.  hehe

Last edited:

catpack

TCS Veteran
Kitten
Purraise
You mention that kitty's balance is a bit off, has he been checked for an ear infection? We've had a few cats (and dogs) come thru the rescue that were deaf and they did not have balance/coordination issues. So, That is why I wonder if your kitty has an inner ear issue.

yoohoora

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You mention that kitty's balance is a bit off, has he been checked for an ear infection? We've had a few cats (and dogs) come thru the rescue that were deaf and they did not have balance/coordination issues. So, That is why I wonder if your kitty has an inner ear issue.
Yes.  I've had him to the vets a few times.  His ears are clear of any infection now.  They suspect he had a virus either in utero or when he was a very tiny kitten.