Ideas on how to cover small open tumor

juntjoo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
He's got a tumor that's grown outside of the skin he won't stop licking and it's bloody. So I want to cover it somehow. There's no way a standard bandaid would work as there's no dry skin. I suppose if I had a bad aid small enough, a circular one it might work which I may try but I want to fish for ideas. And there's no surgical remedy for this as I did have it cut out years ago and it just grew back. I supposed I may have it removed again as it just keep growing but idk at this point. It's superficial as far as I can tell, as it it doesn't seem to be growing onto the muscle, just along the fascia but I'm no doctor. So for now I'm trying to figure out a way to cover it or stop him from licking it. I don't want to use one of those cone collars. Though I may consider that as a last resort or supplemental tool in getting it dry enough to stick something on it. I was thinking painting something on it like nail polish or something. Anything to cover the surface. Is there like a bandaid material without the cotton? Hmmm.. Maybe just remove it from the bandaid. What would you use?

Attachments

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
as it just keep growing
Hi! You can't paint it with anything since whatever that might be will not only get into the skin/flesh/surface of the tumor but also he'll ingest it. If you were to wrap a bandage around his ribs (not too tightly) covering the tumor, which will need to be changed regularly, there are bandage sprays and lick deterrents to apply to the bandage so he doesn't lick or chew on the bandage.

Due to the fact that it's growing, I would suggest getting him to a vet for a wellness check.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Sometimes you can take a baby onesie and adjust it to cover the area. If you know anyone who sews, you can take that onesie and place snaps or velcro for easy open and closing - so you can get to it to clean it, etc, and reapply gauze/medications.

If the vet couldn't remove all the tissue with the past surgical effort, have you considered a vet who specializes in dermatology that might have some ideas?

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would take the cat to a vet to have the tumor looked at and re-treated if necessary. If your current vet isn't helpful, seek out another vet.

You can try a small dog to shirt or a medical pet shirt to cover the tumor for now.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

juntjoo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the replies. I'll look into clothing maybe but he goes out so I wouldn't want him getting stuck. I tried that rubbery bandage wrap(forgot the name) and due to the location it was difficult to keep something over it exactly. Or it will just require a lot of elaborate wrapping. Or just find something that fits good around his torso and cut out arm holes and cut to short comfortable length.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
:yeah: Also, aren't you concerned about infections with him going outside? I know it is hard to make a cat stay inside when they want to go out, especially since you can't explain it to him, but it would be in his best interest in the long run.

juntjoo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Covering the tumor is a temporary solution to keep the cat from bothering it. You really need to take the cat to a vet to have the tumor assessed and treated.
How do they "treat" it?

kittenmittens84

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
How do they "treat" it?
By treating the underlying issue that’s causing it...? Cats don’t normally just grow large tumors, that’s a sign that something is not right. You said he’s licking it, to me that’s a sign it’s causing him some discomfort or pain. It’s very possible it can be easily removed, the previous removal may have left some tissue behind causing it to grow back. It could also be something harmless like a lipoma, but your cat is licking it because it’s irritated or the skin is infected somehow. Take him to the vet.

also don’t put nail polish on it!

juntjoo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
By treating the underlying issue that’s causing it...? Cats don’t normally just grow large tumors, that’s a sign that something is not right. You said he’s licking it, to me that’s a sign it’s causing him some discomfort or pain. It’s very possible it can be easily removed, the previous removal may have left some tissue behind causing it to grow back. It could also be something harmless like a lipoma, but your cat is licking it because it’s irritated or the skin is infected somehow. Take him to the vet.

also don’t put nail polish on it!
Yeah, I've wondered if they missed the point of origin. Seems obvious to me at least. I just don't have money to go around trying each vet out talking like they all know everything. Plus their previous job was messy, the way they sewed him up.

I've got these bandana/head tube sock things think will fit til I figure out who, if anyone ill hire to take it out again

Last edited by a moderator:

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Do you need a recommendation for a competent vet? I'm sure there are members who live in your area who know of one. You can try looking for a cat-friendly vet here: Find a Veterinarian and Practice | The Cat Community

Tumors are not normal, especially not one growing out of the body like in your cat. Such a tumor would have to be surgically removed. If it's a cancerous tumor, chemotherapy may be be needed. Vet bills are expensive but many vets are understanding these days and will work with clients on payment plans.

juntjoo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Do you need a recommendation for a competent vet? I'm sure there are members who live in your area who know of one. You can try looking for a cat-friendly vet here: Find a Veterinarian and Practice | The Cat Community

Tumors are not normal, especially not one growing out of the body like in your cat. Such a tumor would have to be surgically removed. If it's a cancerous tumor, chemotherapy may be be needed. Vet bills are expensive but many vets are understanding these days and will work with clients on payment plans.

[/URL]
Thanks. I'm going to ask around locally.

Last edited by a moderator:

juntjoo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
IMG_20210108_201959834.jpg

Not a bad temp solution and stylish!

Oh and about it growing unnaturally outside of his skin, well that was due to their messy job sewing him up. Point being I don't just want to take him to any ol' vet surgeon. I'll be looking more into it locally.