Ideas for letting my indoor cats get a little fresh air

moggiegirl

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My cats are indoors only. I live in a small 2 bedroom condo and I don’t even let them out on my balcony because the railing is thin, they might jump on it. I also promised the Rescue House when I adopted them I wouldn’t let them outside. Sometimes I feel guilty for keeping them in prison…my small condo, I think they get bored sometimes and I am considering buying them a portable easy to fold up playpen so they can be on my balcony sometimes. Do you have any ideas? I am not able to build a cat enclosure. The condo rules are too strict.

Krienze

Officially a cat lady now. No regrets.
Super Cat
Purraise
Do you have room for some cat furniture? That might help with their boredom. That and toys, etc,
I'm not sure how much fun they'd have in a pen just sitting outside.

Maybe a window swing so they can sit and look outside?

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My cats are indoors only. I live in a small 2 bedroom condo and I don’t even let them out on my balcony because the railing is thin, they might jump on it. I also promised the Rescue House when I adopted them I wouldn’t let them outside. Sometimes I feel guilty for keeping them in prison…my small condo, I think they get bored sometimes and I am considering buying them a portable easy to fold up playpen so they can be on my balcony sometimes. Do you have any ideas? I am not able to build a cat enclosure. The condo rules are too strict.
I seriously doubt the rescue place will do home visits or other do surveillance to make sure the cats aren't being let outside for some sort of entertainment / playtime. Just don't post pictures of your cats enjoying the outdoors in any way on social media where someone from the rescue may see it and sue for breach of contract or something. A local woman did that with her new rescue cat and there was a lawsuit filed by the rescue and it was all over the newspaper :rolleyes:

Some cats enjoy the outdoors while inside of a pet stroller. That might be something you can try.

Cats like vertical space more than horizontal space so I don't think a one level outdoor playpen would be enjoyable to them. There are multi story cat cages / playpens but I don't think they're too portable and might be a pain to take apart after use and store and reset up for the next time. Your condo board may not such a thing on the balcony.

I live in a small condo too with two cats. Neither go outside but enjoy lounging near the open windows or the slider door to the faux Juliette balcony in warm weather. They're happy living indoors.

Provide plenty of toys and cat furniture for the cats. Even empty boxes are tons of fun for most cats. There are more suggestions here:

How To Make Your Home Bigger (at Least For Your Cats) – TheCatSite Articles
7 Proven Ways To Get Your Cat To Be More Active – TheCatSite Articles

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mine never go out (and one was an outside rescue). They've become indoor-only. They will poke their noses out of the door, but if they get outside and the screen door shuts, they're terrified. They just freeze and wail at the shut door.

They do make screen houses for pets that look like small tents. Perhaps you could look into one of those, or even a screened cat stroller, if you must take them outside.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

moggiegirl

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank you. I am not going to waste my money on a portable tent. I do have cat trees by the windows and toys but Mickey often meows out of boredom and when I take out a wand toy and try to play with him he often just sits there and stares at me. It’s hard for me to make him happy sometimes.

lollie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I think you’ll find that a cat tent is less expensive than a playpen, which they can just jump out of anyway. I have one that I put out on my front porch when the weather is nice. It lets her get some fresh air and see/hear the birds. They completely zip up, so kitty is safe.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think the terms "tent" and "play pen" are interchangeable. You see the same similar item called either term online, even as "outdoor enclosure". There are pop up tents / play pens that have a cover to keep a pet contained inside.

Telstar

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Are you sure you are not allowed to put safety nets?

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
My current flat is tiny too, but we have 2 floor to ceiling windows at mini balconies. One balcony we converted into a catio with the permission of the building owner. Since putting a catio isn't allowed at your place, the above ideas are great. You say you opened the windows? Just make sure they cannot jump through it from the cat tree. I had a cat who knew how to open the security sliding screen on our windows at our permanent residence when they were open. And he would dash outdoors like a madman, with one of my kids running behind after him. LOL. Such a funny site but dangerous.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
What a great tree :lovecat2: What is that bug-eyed gray stuffed animal in the third picture? It kind of looks like Scrat from the Ice Age movies.

moggiegirl

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
What a great tree :lovecat2: What is that bug-eyed gray stuffed animal in the third picture? It kind of looks like Scrat from the Ice Age movies.
It is. I removed him from the tree recently since my cats show no interest in him.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you can’t add netting and rods to make that 45 degree angle to keep them in your balcony I would suggest pet safe window screens. That way they can look out through the screen. Just put the cat tree by the window with the new reinforced screen(s.)

You can also grow them a kitty garden. Pots of catnip, parsley & other cat safe plants (pony tail palm.) A flat of grass they can eat and lay on is always appreciated.

You can give them pet crickets in an cat proof aquarium and or hang bird feeders by their window.

luda macka

meow ♡
Young Cat
Purraise
I don't know how big your balcony is, but maybe you can get something like this for your balcony? Not the exact thing in the picture mind you, and there are also smaller cages than this. They are popular in Japan among cat owners with small balconies.

moggiegirl

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I don't know how big your balcony is, but maybe you can get something like this for your balcony? Not the exact thing in the picture mind you, and there are also smaller cages than this. They are popular in Japan among cat owners with small balconies.

No cages for my cats. The decision is made. They stay indoors and I bought them a new cat tree.

Thank you everyone for your replies. I really appreciate it.