Idea's About Keeping A Cat Inside A Room

catbreed

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a pretty large bedroom and currently, my cat stays there most of the time but I do allow him out into the kitchen area (my roommate is allergic to cats so I can't have him out sometimes) Does anyone have experience or recommendations for a screen door or something to keep him inside? Like a gate? Whenever I open the door he usually darts out and I have to go and pick him up every time. I see a lot online but its mainly for dogs because cats can probably jump the gate easily. I am hoping someone has something similar and has some recommendations for something that works? Thanks!

haleyds

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well I use a gate to keep the dog out of the cat room lol, but it's very low and they can get over it whenever they please- that being said maybe a gate that is as high as the door handle would work, or maybe a screen that high that's thin enough where he couldn't use the top to kick off of.
I know that ventilation is probably a big factor in having to keep him in a small area, so if you really had to install a screen door in front of your actual door that wouldn't be a horrible thing to do. They're fairly cheap and easy to install since they're light weight and it would allow him to see out all day long without the fear of him getting over a gate.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm not sure a gate would work unless your cat doesn't jump at all. I've had cats jump from the floor to the shelf in a closet; so I think a screen door is your best bet. When my 2 were kittens we used to give them run of the back hallway in our old house when we couldn't supervise them. I had to double stack baby gates with the top one leaning in in order for it to keep them in. They'd just climb right over.

They do make pet screen that is harder for them to claw and tear. That might be worth looking into as well.