Id Ragdoll Or Snowshoe? Currently One And A Half Years Old. I Bought Her As A "ragdoll".

Ragdoll or snowshoe?

• Ragdoll

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Snowshoe

Votes: 2 100.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
What a DARLING baby!!
There will be some snowshoe owners coming on, but in the meantime, she's wonderful!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kitkat12loraine

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you! Everyone please feel free to elaborate on what you think and why. She does not do the go limp ragdoll thing. She seemed to have longer hair, but in the last picture posted where she is being held, you can see her hair is shorter now. Her coloring really looks more like a snowshoe now. Her personality is vocal and sassy (sometimes mean to the dogs) not super affectionate, but social. I feel like maybe she is in an awkward phase now at 1.5 years old, just finished a litter, and not yet spayed (she will be very soon.)

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thank you! Everyone please feel free to elaborate on what you think and why. She does not do the go limp ragdoll thing. She seemed to have longer hair, but in the last picture posted where she is being held, you can see her hair is shorter now. Her coloring really looks more like a snowshoe now. Her personality is vocal and sassy (sometimes mean to the dogs) not super affectionate, but social. I feel like maybe she is in an awkward phase now at 1.5 years old, just finished a litter, and not yet spayed (she will be very soon.)
It's a myth that all Ragdolls go limp. Many certainly do not. And many domestic cats go limp too. It's no indication of breed. The one I nearly adopted some years back had a rather nasty attitude and she was purebred.

Personally, she looks more Snowshoe to me than Ragdoll. Did you get her from a registered breeder? If so, do you have her paperwork to prove her lineage?

Regardless, she is stunning!

Kitkat12loraine

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It's a myth that all Ragdolls go limp. Many certainly do not. And many domestic cats go limp too. It's no indication of breed. The one I nearly adopted some years back had a rather nasty attitude and she was purebred.

Personally, she looks more Snowshoe to me than Ragdoll. Did you get her from a registered breeder? If so, do you have her paperwork to prove her lineage?

Thank you for the feedback!

amethyst

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Well she kind of looks like something in the middle. Snowshoe are short haired, so the fur is too long, but ragdolls are long haired, so the fur is too short. Seeing as snowshoes are rare, I doubt you would have been sold one as "ragdoll". You likely got a look a like mixed breed. Unfortunately people out there, especially if you didn't get paperwork with her, trying to sell mix breeds as a specific breed because it looks like whatever breed they think they can sell it as.

Also keep in mind that not all purebreds even conform to breed standard in looks or temperament. It's even more true for cats then for dogs.

Kitkat12loraine

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for the feedback!
She did not come with papers. I was not super worried about her being a pure breed, but also this girl claimed to breed ragdolls so...who knows. It was craigslist so what do I expect. Just confused now bc I dont think she had a reason to lie- saw her other cats etc. And still tuned out to be a pretty kitty!

Kitkat12loraine

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

Well she kind of looks like something in the middle. Snowshoe are short haired, so the fur is too long, but ragdolls are long haired, so the fur is too short. Seeing as snowshoes are rare, I doubt you would have been sold one as "ragdoll". You likely got a look a like mixed breed. Unfortunately people out there, especially if you didn't get paperwork with her, trying to sell mix breeds as a specific breed because it looks like whatever breed they think they can sell it as.

Also keep in mind that not all purebreds even conform to breed standard in looks or temperament. It's even more true for cats then for dogs.

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Your lovely kitty is a sealpoint and white longhair. The genes that produce this color combination are all widespread in the domestic cat population, so it's not uncommon to see domestic longhairs that look like your cat. Almost all longhaired cats are domestic longhairs without specific breed ancestry.

Ragdolls do come in this color, but they are typically more massive cats with shorter faces, and have more coat. Snowshoes are shorthaired cats and they are so rare as to be practically nonexistent.

It is possible that the craigslist person is breeding cats with actual Ragdoll ancestry, but that don't look very much like Ragdolls because they are not being bred to the standard. It is also possible that she is breeding domestic longhairs that have been mis-identified by someone as Ragdolls because of their color. Or maybe she is combining Ragdolls with domestic longhairs. Without a pedigree it is impossible to know for sure.

Kitkat12loraine

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Your lovely kitty is a sealpoint and white longhair. The genes that produce this color combination are all widespread in the domestic cat population, so it's not uncommon to see domestic longhairs that look like your cat. Almost all longhaired cats are domestic longhairs without specific breed ancestry.

Ragdolls do come in this color, but they are typically more massive cats with shorter faces, and have more coat. Snowshoes are shorthaired cats and they are so rare as to be practically nonexistent.

It is possible that the craigslist person is breeding cats with actual Ragdoll ancestry, but that don't look very much like Ragdolls because they are not being bred to the standard. It is also possible that she is breeding domestic longhairs that have been mis-identified by someone as Ragdolls because of their color. Or maybe she is combining Ragdolls with domestic longhairs. Without a pedigree it is impossible to know for sure.
So do you think her hair will grow out as she matures?

Kitkat12loraine

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

And thank you So much for such a comprehensive and articulate response.

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So do you think her hair will grow out as she matures?
It's hard to say for sure, but at her age, lots of cats are still in an awkward teenage stage and don't have the full coat they will have when they mature. Unspayed females can also lose coat because of going through heat cycles, and often develop a more full coat after they are spayed and mature fully.

LadyLondonderry

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
She is a beauty! For what it's worth, even though she is most likely a mixed breed, she's got the inverted white V on the face that is characteristic of the Snowshoe and part of the breed standard.

On the flip side, my pedigreed Snowshoe from a registered breeder did not have that characteristic. She also had medium-length hair. As amethyst amethyst said, not all purebreds conform to breed standards. The ones that conform most closely to the standards are deemed show quality; those with a few deviations are considered breeder quality; and those that look significantly different, as my cat did, are sold as pet quality. She was a stunner nonetheless, as is your little darling.

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She is a beauty! For what it's worth, even though she is most likely a mixed breed, she's got the inverted white V on the face that is characteristic of the Snowshoe and part of the breed standard.
Because of the way white markings work in the cat, the "inverted V" naturally appears on many cats with a moderate amount of white; it doesn't indicate any particular breed ancestry.

In the show world, the symmetry of an "inverted V" blaze is traditionally considered attractive, so this language appears in the breed standard for many of the breeds that allow bicolors. I'm looking at my CFA show standards and see the "inverted V" specified in color descriptions for the American Curl, American Shorthair, Oriental Shorthair, Ragdoll, and Turkish Angora breeds (it may be in some other color descriptions as well, I'm just flipping through the standards...) It is not specific to the Snowshoe breed.

Last edited:

Kitkat12loraine

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

On the flip side, my pedigreed Snowshoe from a registered breeder did not have that characteristic. She also had medium-length hair. As amethyst amethyst said, not all purebreds conform to breed standards. The ones that conform most closely to the standards are deemed show quality; those with a few deviations are considered breeder quality; and those that look significantly different, as my cat did, are sold as pet quality. She was a stunner nonetheless, as is your little darling.
Thank you for this!

Kitkat12loraine

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

Thank you for the kind words

Thank you for the kind words! Much love

Kitkat12loraine

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
They are about 16 weeks. Kept one. Dad was a maine coon-ish looking dark guy. They have little manes and stripes.