IBD & raw food

t c c

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Since IBD cats have an immune system that isn't reacting properly, is it safe to feed them a raw food diet? If so, why? Or would the cooked diet be more appropriate?

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Top Cat
Purraise
Balanced raw food is perfectly safe for the majority of IBD cats, and suits them perfectly well. Just a matter of isolating triggers and providing the correct support.

Here are some good resources. I’d suggest joining the FB groups for each, as well. A huge amount of knowledgeable people there.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

t c c

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Since IBD cats have an immune system that isn't reacting properly, is it safe to feed them a raw food diet? If so, why? Or would the cooked diet be more appropriate?
Just to clarify, I am referencing possible contamination occurring in raw food, and IBD kitties not having the immune system reaction of a non-IBD kitty. (BTW-I don't know how to edit my original post, or if there is the ability to edit it?)

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Top Cat
Purraise
It’s a non issue for most cats, yes. The immune system doesn’t get involved with cats that are fed a well-sourced raw diet. Cats have a short digestive tract with low stomach pH, making them suited to eating raw meat.

Last edited: