IBD, prednisolone, appetite

njg55

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cat was diagnosed with IBD earlier this year and placed on a novel proteins diet (Royal Canin wet and dry). While this hasn't completely stopped diarrhea and vomiting, they were not occurring very often. However, the situation got worse recently and I took her to the vet a few days ago. She prescribed a 21-day course of Prednisolone. After about two days, I noticed that Shirley was losing interest in eating her canned food. She's always been a bit fussy, and I often have to sit beside her on the floor, put a dab of food on my finger, or repeatedly push the dish back toward her if she walks away, but generally she does get around to eating and sometimes is ravenous (although I know better than to give her a large amount at one time). But for the last several feeding times she hasn't done more than sniff, or maybe take a small bite, whether I reheated food from an opened can or tried a new one. I even tried a can of RC's duck special protein rather than the usual rabbit, and that has always done the trick when she was being fussy. Not this time. I suspect a correlation with the Prednisolone. She has been eating a lot more of her dried food than normal, I guess to make up for not eating the canned. I thought the vet said something about Cerenia for nausea when I saw her earlier this week, but she didn't prescribe it, just the steroid. I suspect that would be the next step. Since it's Friday, my plan is to see how things go over the weekend and call the vet on Monday if Shirley's appetite hasn't improved. Is it safe to wait a few days? I won't be able to reach my regular vet any later than Saturday at noon, and although there's a specialty/emergency clinic nearby, I'd rather have my cat seen by someone who has treated her before and has access to all of her medical records.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Can you call the vet, tell them what is going on, and see what they think about waiting or not? That is what I would do if it were me. You and your vet are in the best position to determine what to do next.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

njg55

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
To my surprise and relief, Shirley began eating the canned food again yesterday a few hours after I posted and has eaten several more times since then. I think it's safe to wait a day or two before contacting the vet. She is a bit up and down about eating anyway, but I'm so concerned about her IBD that I probably get overly worked up about her missing a meal once in a while.