IBD Kittie Poop on bed

sassea

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello,
Currently have a blue plastic tarp I put on bed after we (Abby, Ruby and me) get up. IBD Ruby consistently uses bed for poop, never pee. I used to be able to get those waterproof covers and let cats use bed. Now I can't keep up with wash and use a blue tarp. They won't use bed except for Ruby poop. I am going to have to figure a way to completely keep her off bed. I placed a litter box in hall where she eats (Ruby eats slow and Abby will be a pig) (Abby eats in her dresser drawer). She knows it is just hers. This helped for awhile but not so much now.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
HI. Obviously, Ruby is experiencing discomfort when she poops, so she avoids the litter box thinking that is the source of her discomfort rather than her own body - very common with cats. What is the consistency of Ruby's poop? And, what, if any meds, is she on to help with the IBD. Btw, how was it diagnosed?

I am not sure I understand the correlation, if any, between that and the eating issue with Ruby and Abby, but apparently there is an issue with that as well?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sassea

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thing with Abby and Ruby is Ruby's personal litterbox and her dinner matt are in hall to keep Abby away from both. Ruby's breakfast has Prednisolone and I need Ruby to get it. Abby in separate location and in her dresser drawer. Abby has poor vision and was always nervouse when trying to eat and looking over her shoulder. In the drawer she hunches down so nobody can see her. Also they are separate because Ruby eats slow, Abby will pig out and then go eat Ruby's if not separate. With Ruby's issue as an example; Abby gets less food but is 10.6lbs, where Ruby is 8.6lbs, and they are sisters.
Ruby 1st got Prednisolone almost 6yrs ago. She had diarea no matter what food and I could put her in more pain if the food had high percent of chicken. She would squauk from pain, like a quick sharp pain, not a constant pain. We did not test for Lymphoma. I could not afford her if that was the problem. We checked for food allergies and parasites etc. Oddly enough test did not confirm issue with chicken but she is obviously worse if that is the main ingedient. Past year Ruby is on higher dose of Prednisolone. Her poop is formed now more than it ever has been but oddly is a smaller diameter. Depending on my schedule they get three (Ruby barely eats that portion) meals of canned. If I am not home an automatic feeder will give them dry food. Ruby panics if her meals are not on schedule. She has more cramps or gas on the dry food.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I am going to guess Ruby (and probably Abby) is older. So, Ruby may be experiencing some arthritis which can also affect litter box habits. Most cats hold different positions for peeing and pooping, and perhaps Ruby's pooping position is bothering her. Have you considered joint supplements? Cosequin or Dausiquin seem to be the most common ones. They can take a while to make a difference but might be worth it for you to try one or the other.

sassea

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have Cosequin for her. I don't like to 'pill' her so I am going to try adding it to her food.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I have Cosequin for her. I don't like to 'pill' her so I am going to try adding it to her food.
A lot of folks do that or mix it with a lickable treat. If that doesn't work, both of those supplements also come in chewable treats too. There are other ones that are liquid, which might be something else to consider, if necessary.

sassea

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you.
Just read label it's Dausiquin.

sassea

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ruby may be doing a little better, but this seems to go through phases. I'm hopeful for all of our sakes.