Ibd Diet - Constipation And Diarhea!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Luna6

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've never heard her make that sound eating anything other than the cooked food. At first I thought the bones in the food were hurting her. The reason I am leaning more toward nausea is because she ate it fine out of the same container for a few days before the grinding started so if it was the bone I'd think it would have always been uncomfortable. The recent grinding has coincided with her hardening stools and the lower appetite. I did get her some PureVita canned turkey yesterday and she has been eating that fine so far. I give her a couple tablespoons. Her activity and playfulness level is normal.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Still sounds more like dental pain of some sort. Nausea won’t even let my Krista eat. She’ll just sit in front of the plate for a moment licking her lips and then eventually walk away. When I started hearing the clicking with her, it eventually came down to a loose tooth (deep pockets) and a broken tooth. If Luna develops consistency preferences she didn’t used to have or her eating slows, definitely schedule her for another dental with X-rays under anesthesia so they can also get below the gum line.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've never heard her make that sound eating anything other than the cooked food. At first I thought the bones in the food were hurting her. The reason I am leaning more toward nausea is because she ate it fine out of the same container for a few days before the grinding started so if it was the bone I'd think it would have always been uncomfortable. The recent grinding has coincided with her hardening stools and the lower appetite. I did get her some PureVita canned turkey yesterday and she has been eating that fine so far. I give her a couple tablespoons. Her activity and playfulness level is normal.
It could be that the consistency of the cooked requires more chewing than canned?

Luna6

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It could be that the consistency of the cooked requires more chewing than canned?
It could, or as you said, it could be a dental issue only visible with an xray. The grinding started when her intestinal issues started so that's what makes me think it's nausea. I suppose it could also be a weird coincidence.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Watch for consistency preferences she didn’t used to have or any slowing of her eating. It would be better if you just proactively set up a dental for next month since February is Pet Dental Health Month. Your vet may have some kind of special going for dentals next month.

Cats don’t cry out with dental pain so you either have to be proactive, or you wait until their pain exceeds their hunger and they slow or stop eating altogether. I don’t suggest this. It turns out my Krista also had some abnormal liver chemistry going on that made her teeth a real complication for treating that. Can you imagine trying to re-feed a fatty liver cat with bad teeth? Fortunately it wasn’t fatty liver and Krista pitched a fit during the ultrasound. She got herself sedated and the dental work she was originally denied because of her liver chemistry. But she did need a feeding tube inserted because we couldn’t wait on her mouth recovery for her to resume eating. She was already a week without eating (and a couple of reduced eating) by that time. She eats on her own again now and I just use the tube for meds. If her appetite continues to be healthy once she’s off all her meds, then I’ll have the tube removed next month.

So yeah, be proactive and plan on a February dental for her.

Luna6

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Watch for consistency preferences she didn’t used to have or any slowing of her eating. It would be better if you just proactively set up a dental for next month since February is Pet Dental Health Month. Your vet may have some kind of special going for dentals next month.
Thanks for the advice. I will do that!

Luna6

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ok, so I talked to someone at the deli and she said the food I had been feeding Luna has a 10% bone content and 10% organ content, which she thought could be part of the issue. They haven't changed anything with their formula since last January and she'd only been eating it for a couple months at that point. She also said she thought the rabies booster she had last March could be causing digestive issues due to the heavy metal fillers (our holistic vet mentioned this also). She recommended something called thuja which I have never heard of that can rid her of the heavy metals. Has anyone else tried this? My online search found mixed opinions.

Wile

Opener of cans
Alpha Cat
Purraise
She also said she thought the rabies booster she had last March could be causing digestive issues due to the heavy metal fillers (our holistic vet mentioned this also). She recommended something called thuja which I have never heard of that can rid her of the heavy metals. Has anyone else tried this? My online search found mixed opinions.
I think you are better listening to your vet's advice about this than someone at a pet food counter. Purevax is a common rabies vaccine (that is what my cats get), and from the little research I have done it doesn't contain any metals. I doubt that a booster back in March is causing problems now, but I am not a vet.

10% sounds ok to me. Maybe you could look into more allergy/intolerance testing as your next step?

Luna6

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I think you are better listening to your vet's advice about this than someone at a pet food counter. Purevax is a common rabies vaccine (that is what my cats get), and from the little research I have done it doesn't contain any metals. I doubt that a booster back in March is causing problems now, but I am not a vet.

10% sounds ok to me. Maybe you could look into more allergy/intolerance testing as your next step?
Luna gets Purevax also. I think some of this homeopathic stuff just ends up being a huge rabbit hole.

I feel like haven't gotten very good advice from either vet I've seen about diet. The internal medicine vet wants me to put her on Royal Canin dry food and the holistic vet said she thought the cooked food was fine even though it constipates her. I'm considering taking her somewhere new to get her teeth checked and see if I can get better advice about diet stuff. I've talked to three vets about the grinding too and I've gotten different opinions. It seems to throw everyone off because it coincided with her intestinal and appetite issues which pointed toward nausea but then she eats other stuff fine, which as daftcat75 daftcat75 mentioned, sounds more like a dental issue. I suppose I will have to wait for the dental xray results to know for sure.