Ibd, Diarrhea, Med Problems?

littlequeenie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My male cat is nearly 15 years old, I adopted him almost 9 years ago when he was thought to be around 6. 4 years ago he had major abdominal surgery (I really thought I was going to have to put him to sleep instead, it was huge surgery), he has done really well since until a few months ago. He had lost a lot of weight, and had occasional but large vomiting. I took him to the same vet university as before. They kept him for a few days as he was dehydrated. They did all kinds of blood work, xrays, swallow study, ultrasound with an aspiration. Nothing was definitive. They said he was anemic (I give him B12 injections weekly now which seem to be fine), they gave him a couple of antibiotics (one for possible gum disease, the other in case he had a UTI), pain killer (again in case he had gum disease) and Cerenia for his nausea. When he got home, he pretty much hid for 2 days except for eating on occasion and getting his meds. He finally came out and acting more like himself except he started having terrible diarrhea. So we stopped one of the antibiotics. I brought him back a week later, they wanted to do an exploratory lap or at least an endoscopic biopsy but I really didn't want to put him thru so much so soon. Plus another cat has been nuts since he went to the vet and they usually have been so close. So we decided to start him on 7.5mg prednisolone because he has either IBD or low grade lymphoma and both would be treated the same. After several days of unbelievably explosive diarrhea, I was told to stop it for a week and then start him up on 5mg. (by this time he was done with the other antibiotic and only on the cerenia). He has also been on prescription food. It took more than a week for the diarrhea to get under control. I put him on 2.5mg and he was doing great. He ate like a pig. After 3 days I increased him to 5mg. Soon the poop started to get softer, but formed and then again diarrhea. So after 4 days of 5mg, we've stopped it again and started him on Flagyl. I had an awful time giving it with a syringe so I tried in his food. I am pretty sure he got a dose last night. He still had diarrhea overnight, in fact he even missed the box. I gave him a dose again this morning with food. I have not seen any more diarrhea - but he has also not had anything else to eat since early this morning and he is hiding now for the last 3 hours (I don't know where)in our apartment. I have read in a few places that some cats stop eating and become lethargic on flagyl - has anyone else had this experience?
I'm so frustrated. After all the trauma of having blood drawn several times, having his belly shaved, having general anesthesia and being with strangers instead of his family - not to mention the more than $3000 I have had to spend - we have only had about 4-5 good days since he has been home in the past 5 weeks. He never had diarrhea before all this. We are supposed to be moving a 6 hour drive away from here and I'm afraid he might have diarrhea in his carrier so I have postponed this move a couple of times.
Any ideas?? Those 4 or 5 days after he had started 2.5mg pred he was doing great but other than that he has been worse since I had brought him in.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
I use The Missing Link probiotic for my IBD cat. That stopped her diarrhea. Only online. Or vet should have packets of Fortifora. Missing Link works better. She only eats canned rabbit food. No chicken,pork,turkey, etc
She actually has triiditis. Talk to your vet first

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We use Missing Link as well for our kitties who don't have IBD, just wanted to give them a good supplement. We get the Well Blend Veterinarian formula from Cal Vet Supply online.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
I will check out call vet supply. I use chewy, petco, or doctor foster and smith

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Just last month she had a flare up so the vet gave her pain killers and a steroid shot. She's fine now

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

littlequeenie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Did you change his food during all this and is he on a probiotic?
yes they put him on prescription food which of course he hated. switched to another brand which he eats some and yes we are using a probiotic.
He finally did come out of hiding late yesterday afternoon - probably about the time his next flagyl dose was due. I didn't give it to him. I gave him his food with first about half his pred dose (it was already crushed so I just estimated it). Still has some diarrhea but he is now acting more like himself.

littlequeenie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I use The Missing Link probiotic for my IBD cat. That stopped her diarrhea. Only online. Or vet should have packets of Fortifora. Missing Link works better. She only eats canned rabbit food. No chicken,pork,turkey, etc
She actually has triiditis. Talk to your vet first
I hadn't heard of Missing Link, I am using foriflora. Though the vet told me probiotics won't do anything for his diarrhea b/c he is not on antibiotics.

littlequeenie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We use Missing Link as well for our kitties who don't have IBD, just wanted to give them a good supplement. We get the Well Blend Veterinarian formula from Cal Vet Supply online.
is that well blend for IBD??

they had given me a few cans of Hills and Royal Canin prescription when he was discharged. He refused the Hills, ate the Royal Canin for a couple of days then refused that. I had some non-prescription Royal Canin for digestive issues that he loved while I waited for some Pro Plan prescription for IBD that again he ate for a couple of days before refusing it completely.

One of the vets (it's a vet school so they rotate thru clinic, etc) was adamant that I only feed him prescription; another said the main thing was that he eat and be on pred. He seemed to be doing really well on 2.5mg pred - he ate like a pig and was acting more like himself, very interactive - though he was only it for a few days before I upped it to 5mg. For all I know he might have ended up with diarrhea on 2.5 too.

Just so frustrating b/c he didn't have diarrhea to start and he'll never gain any weight with all this

Freedom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My Emma, age 14, developed diarrhea, and was not always making it to the litterbox. She spent most of her day in the bathtub, and was often using that for both pee and poop. Vet diagnosed IBD, and advised me to use a limited ingredient food, and alternate protein source.
kibble: Natural Balance Limited Ingredient Green Pea and Duck
canned: Natural Balance Limited Ingredient Green Pea and Venison

Emma was on Flagyl for a week and that helped firm up the diarrhea. By then the new food had also been her only food. I switched over the entire clowder so I can just grab food, and not have to think about who gets what. Everything has been fine for 4 months. I am so relieved to have this resolved. And I know Emma feels much better.

Last week, I came across one remaining can of the 'other' food, in the back of the closet. Without thinking, I dished it out to all 3 cat bowls, so Emma had that. Next morning, complete mess! So I learned that lesson the hard way.

Perhaps my experiences with Emma will help you. Swapping out the food completely is easy to do and you will see a change in 4 to 6 days, based on what Emma was like.

littlequeenie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Freedom, thank you. I just am not sure if the flagyl has helped him. I think he had a bad reaction to it - he seemed to be feeling a lot better by the time he was due for his next dose so I skipped it.

Is Emma on pred? Many years ago I had a cat on pred and she had tolerated it very well. This time it might be the pred that is affecting my Barack. Thankfully, he is making it to the box, though he "missed" the end of the box a couple of times.

I will look at the Natural Balance - I see that a prescription isn't needed plus it isn't anywhere near as expensive as the original brand prescribed by the vet. But I see some reviewers say the texture has changed and it is "slimey".

I'm just so frustrated - he didn't have diarrhea before I took him to the vet. Now in the past 4+ weeks, he has had diarrhea each and every day except maybe for 4 days. And one vet emphasizes the prescription only food - another says let him eat what he wants but we need him on pred.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
is that well blend for IBD??

they had given me a few cans of Hills and Royal Canin prescription when he was discharged. He refused the Hills, ate the Royal Canin for a couple of days then refused that. I had some non-prescription Royal Canin for digestive issues that he loved while I waited for some Pro Plan prescription for IBD that again he ate for a couple of days before refusing it completely.

One of the vets (it's a vet school so they rotate thru clinic, etc) was adamant that I only feed him prescription; another said the main thing was that he eat and be on pred. He seemed to be doing really well on 2.5mg pred - he ate like a pig and was acting more like himself, very interactive - though he was only it for a few days before I upped it to 5mg. For all I know he might have ended up with diarrhea on 2.5 too.

Just so frustrating b/c he didn't have diarrhea to start and he'll never gain any weight with all this
First 2 ingredients of The Missing Linknk are ground flaxseed, rice bran. It stopped her diarrhea. FortiFlora didnt. Her food is Nature's Variety Instinct canned rabbit 5.5 Oz can $3. Some cats can take pred some cannot. I take it to a compound pharmacy to get it flavored. She has an internal medicine doctor.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Missing Link is not specifically for IBD. There are many formulations for various animals. There is one ingredient in the Veterinary Formula that's not in the others. We do have a kitty who has a sensitive tummy and it helps him.

littlequeenie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Just want to thank everyone for their advice! I stopped the flagyl and yesterday when I talked with the vet she agreed. I started him back on 2.5mg pred and right now he is one the non-prescription Royal Canin for digestive issues. I am going to see what some local petfood stores have for some of the food you all suggested because I hate to get stuck again with another case of unwanted food!! And I am going to look into Missing Link.
He is much more himself, his diarrhea is almost gone - now if only I can get Jezebel the cat from hell to stop hissing at him and trying to attack him ever since he came back from the vet over 4 weeks ago!!! They used to be almost joined at the hip before I took him to the vet!!