IBD and Lymphoma in 4yr old cat

snsmith2000

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Not sure what to do. My cat is very sick and I don't have the funds for testing her much further. Is it possible for a cat to have IBD and bowel lymphoma at the same time?

My poor kitty has had around $2K in testing in the last week after of having continuous diarrhea outside of her box and vomiting. We thought she had caught worms from our new puppy who had whipworm. Now her list of diagnosis is stacking up and the vets she saw were not very helpful as the 1st one told us she would be fine, the sonographer said she would be fine, then today they are saying she's not and needs further testing ASAP.

She's formally been diagnosed with: Hypersensitive Allergies, IBD, Intestinal Fibrosis, Cystitis (calcium oxalate crystals), Bladder Stones, Hyperglycemia, Hypercalcinemia, Eosinophilic Enteritis, and Food Responsive Enteritis

She was believed all week to just have IBD, but after getting her urinalysis back and seeing she has Hypercalcinemia, the emergency vets she saw believes she could have lymphoma of the bowel on top of IBD. Both the vet who ran her tests and the sonographer who did her ultrasound are stumped as she turns 4yrs old in 5 days and some of her diagnoses are most common in cats over the age of 10.

They believe there is a strong connection between her severe allergies and all of her intestinal issues. The sonographer noted that the majority of her swelling and inflamed lymph nodes were located in the groin/bowel region and not her intestines, and that the majority of the abdominal structure was still visible via ultrasound. Meaning, the thickening of the abdominal wall is minimal right now. She does has fibrosis starting in her intestines though.

My cat's behavior has been okay. She's still eating and has a bit of increased thirst. She's mainly sleeping, but has been on amoxicillin for the last week for the bladder crystals.

Because I can't afford to take her to an internist and have biopsies performed, we are going to take a palliative care approach (prescription diet, B12 supplement, and prednisone if she doesn't have a reaction to it). She's also at most 7lbs as she's a Torbie and they are small cats, which is even more reason for me to not want to go through with exploratory surgery. The vets also want me to continue her through immunotherapy, but I don't want to put her through all of these medications and treatments at once as her allergy symptoms really recovered after learning what she was allergic to. It would also be really costly.

I'm scared I don't have much time with her left and that if we can't find a good food for her, then the swelling is going to get worse. She's my whole world and I feel like I failed her. I don't really know what to do. If anyone has experience with these diagnoses, especially all of them at the same time, I would love and appreciate any advice you can give. I'm already in the IBDKitty Facebook group, but since I don't have an answer to what is wrong with her, their advice can only go so far.

I'm super upset as all of the swelling and issues happening are new. She just had most of these tests ran back in February when she had an acute UTI. They didn't note anything weird at that point in time. Now all of her tests are showing major signs that something is wrong.

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Firstly I want to tell you how sorry I am for you and your kitty having to go through this. I know how scared you are. Been there - and currently there myself with two cats. So my heart goes out to you in a big, big way.

The only way to know for sure IBD or Cancer is the biopsy and I IBD CAN, but not always, turn to cancer at some point due to the chronic inflammation IBD causes.

You mentioned allergies. Food, or other, or both? It sounds like food from what I've read.

Did they say anything about her pancreas?

Did the bloodwork show low Vit B12?

Good for you for the IBD reading.

Again, my heart goes out to you and I'm so so sorry you are having to experience this.

Other people with more experience will hopefully pop in soon as well.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

snsmith2000

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
[You mentioned allergies. Food, or other, or both? It sounds like food from what I've read.

Did they say anything about her pancreas?

Did the bloodwork show low Vit B12?
[/QUOTE]

She has a ton of environmental allergies. Trees, grass, mold, bugs, etc. Food allergies are too hard to pin down, so vets who know about allergies don’t test for them. She’ll have to do an extensive food trail before we can pin down food reactivity.

No pancreatitis! That was one of the first diagnostics they ran. And they’ve done blood testing, but didn’t say about her B12 levels but recommended she get supplements for it.

Thank you for the reply :)

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She has a ton of environmental allergies. Trees, grass, mold, bugs, etc. Food allergies are too hard to pin down, so vets who know about allergies don’t test for them. She’ll have to do an extensive food trail before we can pin down food reactivity.
For the trees, grass, mold allergies - was that derived from an allergy test or what you've experiences with her reactions to them?

Food is a hard one to pin down. What is she currently eating?

No pancreatitis! That was one of the first diagnostics they ran. And they’ve done blood testing, but didn’t say about her B12 levels but recommended she get supplements for it.
For the pancreas test - do you know if it was the fPLI test, or diagnosis through ultrasound?

I'm going to e-read your thread again to make sure I didn't miss anything too.

Thank you for the reply :)
Anytime I'll try to add things that I know or have experienced to try to help you if I can. Make sure you breath and take care of you too while you go down this road. It will be as important as looking after her.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I am hard pressed to believe all of those diagnoses are accurate, but I am not a vet. It seems to me that more testing related to hormonal issues might be of greater benefit than any biopsy. Further, some of those diagnoses might be related to 'out of whack' blood work numbers due to the vomiting and diarrhea. Can you afford to see an internal med vet, not for the biopsy, but for a consultation on all of the testing results? Consulting with one isn't cheap, but a lot less expensive than doing a biopsy.

As noted above, IBD can lead to lymphoma in some cases, but regardless the treatment for either is generally Prednisolone to begin with and perhaps later Chlorambucil, or a similar chemo treatment, if the Pred doesn't help by itself. B-12 injections are commonly given as there seems to be a correlation between IBD and malabsorption in the intestines, which B-12 can help with. Any B-12 that isn't need by a cat's body is excreted through their urine, so it is not a terrible thing to try.

You could try s. boulardii, which is a probiotic many folks use for diarrhea. This probiotic is a good one all around, but especially when a cat is on antibiotics - which can also cause diarrhea - because it is yeast-based and is NOT rendered less effective by antibiotics as many other probiotics are. If you've read about IBD, I am sure you have seen information about s. boulardii. You've probably also read about homecooked foods, which could feasibly help with the allergies too.

Are the vets saying that she has both struvite and oxalate crystals/stones? That is pretty unusual, but if the oxalate stones are presenting a problem, I will be honest with you, surgery to remove them is the only answer - no prescription diet will dissolve them as can be the case with struvite crystals. Prescription food can help reduce the odds of more oxalate stones from developing, but they won't help with the ones that exist. I would ask for more clarification.

I tend to agree with you that it would seem there is a strong connection between her severe allergies and all of her intestinal issues. That is where an internal med vet might be helpful.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Have you tried a raw diet with her? I haven't ever fed raw, but I am considering it for one of my kitties. It's supposed to help with IBD kitties and it may help decrease inflammation which may also help many of her other conditions, especially if they are allergy related.