Ibd And Constipation

TinWornom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone! My beloved, Henry, is about to start on budesonide. He is always constipated and I was wondering if anyone had any experience that the budesonide could help relieve his constipation.
Right now he is on cisapride and lactulose for the constipation but it really doesn’t seem to be doing anything. I also give him MiraLAX and Smooth BM Gold sometimes when it gets really bad. He hates pumpkin, so that’s out. I am hoping that budesonide could do the trick but I can’t find any articles on if it relieves constipation or not.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I too had a cat with IBD and was prone to constipation. IBD is very much a disease that is different from one cat to the next. My cat was on Prednisolone which is also a steroid and it did help him immensely. He was diagnosed and put on a steroid when he was 7 1/2 and had been having flares of then undiagnosed IBD since he was 18 months old. He had no serious flares for 8 years with the Pred. Some cats have not had that result with a steroid, the only way to know if it will work is to try.

Timmer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hi. When was your cat diagnosed? Was an ultrasound done?

I lost my beloved Timmer to IBD. I have no idea about this particular drug but he was on Prednisone and his sweet little body never responded. I was giving him lactulose too. And eventually he was on chemo because that is another way to try and treat it, but that can take months to kick in.
Try it and see if it works. I hope it does.

I have another cat who has always had very hard stools and eventually her colon started just being very slow for her. I switched her to prescription food, Royal Canin Gastrointestinal Fiber Response. It has been a miracle for her. Now mind you, she does NOT have IBD. But I can't help but wonder if we had had it for Timmer if it would have helped him live a bit longer. I don't think so but, I wonder.

Is your cat able to poop at all at this point?
Tell us more.

babiesmom5

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have a cat with IBD who was on Budesonide for about a six month period before she was switched to Prednisolone.

Budesonide is a steroid. It's purpose is to control inflammation in the GI tract. To my knowledge, it does not have any "laxative" effect or prevent constipation.
It had no such effect on my cats bowel movements.

I believe this is a separate issue which must be discussed with your vet.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have a cat with IBD who was on Budesonide for about a six month period before she was switched to Prednisolone.

Budesonide is a steroid. It's purpose is to control inflammation in the GI tract. To my knowledge, it does not have any "laxative" effect or prevent constipation.
It had no such effect on my cats bowel movements.

I believe this is a separate issue which must be discussed with your vet.
It isn't that the steroid is a laxative. Some cats, like the IBD cat that I had, have constipation as a result of the inflammation caused by IBD. Reducing the inflammation will take care of the constipation even though it isn't a laxative.

Timmer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yes, agreeing with Denise. If I indicated that the prednisone was for the constipation that's not what I meant. It's to get the colon inflammation down so the stool can pass.